Ham Radio And Weather

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Ham Radio And Weather

Post by Rudy »

I took a little nap today. It was rainy outside. Earlier this morning I had heard reports of rough weather today.

In my lullaby sleep, I was awakened a few times by my dog Buddy's barking at the thunder.

Then it came! The wind was at it's crescendo. Not just an intermittent huff and puff, but a full orchestral roar meant to conjure up awe and fear in the hearts of the listener.

I jumped up and looked at the radar presently displayed on my laptop. Staring in amazement at the squall line displayed, I was dismayed, yet not surprised to see the electrical power going out.

At that point, Buddy was glad to come in to the bus when I opened the front door.

With the electrical power out, I lost my computer screen.

Wanting to maintain reports of the inclement weather, I turned on my scanner radio. It does have a battery backup system. BUT, BUT, those three AA batteries were just about dead.

Fumbling with flashlights, I managed to get some batteries in the scanner radio. Let me tell you about this radio.

This radio has a scanner for many frequencies. (Police, Fire, Air, Sea, Ham) It also has AM FM and weather channels.

I used to think that the weather radio was the best thing going. After listening to it for years, I realized that it was predominantly a computer program with hardly any human monitoring.

The most valuable data I receive is from the ham radio people who instantly set up a headquarters station and receive and transmit local reports of the effects of a storm.

All this is very useful information that gives me a clear idea of what is going on in a close proximity.

Ham radio is a great way to communicate with others. It takes a license, a bit of money invested into a transmitter, and studying for the test. That's if you want to transmit.

It is way different if you just want to listen to the ham frequencies, or the other available scanner frequencies available on my radio.

A few years ago, I got this scanner radio. It is A Uniden Bearcat model BC340CRS. It was $89.

It is the MOST important piece of radio gear that I have.

A few years ago, there was a huge HUGE storm that passed through. The ham radio guys were on it. By listening to them, I was able to see exactly where the storm was passing through. (HA HA, right over where I was. Fortunately, I was holed up in a friend's cement garage.

In closing, I will say that it is a great idea to get a ham radio listening device.

Are any of you Ham radio operators?
Got love? Give love.
kb2iaw

Re: Ham Radio And Weather

Post by kb2iaw »

Rudy wrote:I took a little nap today. It was rainy outside. Earlier this morning I had heard reports of rough weather today.

In my lullaby sleep, I was awakened a few times by my dog Buddy's barking at the thunder.

Then it came! The wind was at it's crescendo. Not just an intermittent huff and puff, but a full orchestral roar meant to conjure up awe and fear in the hearts of the listener.

I jumped up and looked at the radar presently displayed on my laptop. Staring in amazement at the squall line displayed, I was dismayed, yet not surprised to see the electrical power going out.

At that point, Buddy was glad to come in to the bus when I opened the front door.

With the electrical power out, I lost my computer screen.

Wanting to maintain reports of the inclement weather, I turned on my scanner radio. It does have a battery backup system. BUT, BUT, those three AA batteries were just about dead.

Fumbling with flashlights, I managed to get some batteries in the scanner radio. Let me tell you about this radio.

This radio has a scanner for many frequencies. (Police, Fire, Air, Sea, Ham) It also has AM FM and weather channels.

I used to think that the weather radio was the best thing going. After listening to it for years, I realized that it was predominantly a computer program with hardly any human monitoring.

The most valuable data I receive is from the ham radio people who instantly set up a headquarters station and receive and transmit local reports of the effects of a storm.

All this is very useful information that gives me a clear idea of what is going on in a close proximity.

Ham radio is a great way to communicate with others. It takes a license, a bit of money invested into a transmitter, and studying for the test. That's if you want to transmit.

It is way different if you just want to listen to the ham frequencies, or the other available scanner frequencies available on my radio.

A few years ago, I got this scanner radio. It is A Uniden Bearcat model BC340CRS. It was $89.

It is the MOST important piece of radio gear that I have.

A few years ago, there was a huge HUGE storm that passed through. The ham radio guys were on it. By listening to them, I was able to see exactly where the storm was passing through. (HA HA, right over where I was. Fortunately, I was holed up in a friend's cement garage.

In closing, I will say that it is a great idea to get a ham radio listening device.

Are any of you Ham radio operators?
YES I AM...The KB2IAW in my signature is my call sign ...And dont be intimadated ...there are no more requirements for morse code in the VHF band ...and @ meters is very active as well as 1& 1/4 meters and 440 ...all easily recievable and transmitable without morse code endorsement ...For more info google the A.R.R.L. for a local club for testing and dates ...it`s free
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh yea, I went out and got licensed about a year ago after a power failure knocked out the telephone for a week. Figured that if there was some sort of an emergency while the phone was dead, I might have trouble calling out for help. Attended Technician and General class licensing classes that the local Amateur club was offering. Passed T, G, and Extra class exams in one sitting.

Picked up a like-new Yaesu VX-7R triband HT with a Diamond antenna, speaker mic, serial cable and programming software for less than the cost of the radio alone, then found a Yaesu FT5100 dual band mobile with a burned out display lamps for $75. Mounted a Larsen NMO 2-70 dual band antenna on my pickup.

Working on a 10 meter ground plane so I can get the borrowed Tempo 2020 HF rig operating some day to back up the 2 meter repeater if it fails.

Interesting thing that it's now possible to send and receive email via Amateur radio using a terminal node controller and Airmail2000 software. Still trying to get the bugs out of that, but new firmware is on it's way.

The local club holds a Wednesday night net at 7PM. They got all serious and convened an ARES net after the big Jap earthquake last month when the entire west coast was under threat of tsunami. A bit silly, really, the reverse 911 calls didn't say to tune into Amateur radio for official information, they gave the calls sign and frequency of my commercial radio station.

Oh well, it takes all kinds, I'm not in the "hobby" for the Junior G-Man badge like some. Most of the members of the club would be the first to need rescuing after a real disaster.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Patty and I have been ham radio operators since the mid '80s.
KB7BKN and KB7BKM
We both have General class licenses. We don't belong to any clubs.
We belong to the OEN Oregon Emergency Network. A west coast ham radio emergency group dedicated to emergency services and the passing of information. We check in to the net every night at 6:30 PM. Pacific time
On 3980 Mhz
On the Bus we have HF and VHF radios. It's fun driving down the road talking to a guy in Italy.
Jerry
kb2iaw

Amatuer Radio...

Post by kb2iaw »

Jerry Campbell wrote:Patty and I have been ham radio operators since the mid '80s.
KB7BKN and KB7BKM
We both have General class licenses. We don't belong to any clubs.
We belong to the OEN Oregon Emergency Network. A west coast ham radio emergency group dedicated to emergency services and the passing of information. We check in to the net every night at 6:30 PM. Pacific time
On 3980 Mhz
On the Bus we have HF and VHF radios. It's fun driving down the road talking to a guy in Italy.
Jerry
:) Yes It`s A Great Hobby ...I was once on my way to a ships reunion up in battle ship cove MASS . Useing a local 2mtr repeater with a 10 & 15 Meter link , i held a conversation with station in Belize ...i always said it`s like fishing
you never know what your going to catch ...73 om .
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry Campbell wrote:We check in to the net every night at 6:30 PM. Pacific time on 3.980 Mhz
Another reason to get some sort of an HF antenna up. Know anybody who likes to climb trees?
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Well MrSharkey you just happened to have a Outside Wire and Antenna Construction fellow hanging around sometimes, Too physically messed up to climb anymore, but unless the rules have changed stay under 60 foot.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Sharkey wrote:
Jerry Campbell wrote:We check in to the net every night at 6:30 PM. Pacific time on 3.980 Mhz
Another reason to get some sort of an HF antenna up. Know anybody who likes to climb trees?
A good rod and reel should throw it far enough up in the tree.

I have a metal fence post in the ground with a 30 ft piece of irrigation pipe stuck on to it. I pulled up the center of a dipole, A G5RV is what it's called. 51 feet on a side. In an inverted V. The sides are hooked to isolators and then to metal fence posts about 10 feet off the ground. Not the best configuration but I am getting a good signal out. I don't have any trees in the right place.

On the bus for HF I have a screwdriver and a Shakespeare 393 Marine Vertical 22 ft.
Jerry
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Bow and arrows hooked to rod and reels work good for tree top hanging of antennas. Radio Shack used to sell a 3 or 4 stage collapsable pole years ago, each section fit inside the other, when camped in the woods in the early 70's that is how we talked back home if we needed something, before the cell phone explosion, we could talk about 60 miles barefoot and the little palomar 90 amp would go even further, and that was without shooting skip, we used a Avanti ground plane back then, then we built a homemade set of directional beams for when we went further from home.

James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
KB2IAW

Post by KB2IAW »

Thought you might find this interesting .( http://www.ka2lim.com/9.html )

<www>

For whatever the value
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Antennas, another project. I have a 30 foot aluminum tower I want to put up on the side of the garage, but there's a crappy shed in the way that needs to be knocked down first. I also own 90 feet of Rohn 25 tower that's out on loan, I should get that back.

Since I'm accumulating gear one bit at a time, an antenna tuner isn't something I have yet. Any antenna I put up is going to have to be a one-band resonant affair until I have a way to match it to the output of my rig. Of course, I could build an antenna tuner, I have loads of that type of stuff available, roller inductors, RF capacitors, etc, but then, that's another project....

We need to talk with those Limo guys about creature comforts inside their bus. Some sound deadening material would probably make it a lot nicer to work in such tight quarters, and, hey, where's their wood stove with the obligitory crooked stove pipe? :D
yugogypsy

Ham Radio & Weather

Post by yugogypsy »

Anybody need a base for a 60 ft tower???

There's one a former tenant left behind, sitting in my back yard-free to the first taker--and bring a big truck & 3 helpers, its HEAVY! :lol:
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Sharkey wrote: Since I'm accumulating gear one bit at a time, an antenna tuner isn't something I have yet. Any antenna I put up is going to have to be a one-band resonant affair until I have a way to match it to the output of my rig. :D
Most of the newer rigs a have automatic tuners. Mine is older, a Kenwood TS-440S AT, but still has an auto tuner, mid '80s I think. I just love pushing that button. I chose the G5RV antenna because it is easily tunable on all the HF ham bands. My Kenwood has been modified to transmit everywhere from 0 to 30 Mhz. I bought the shakespeare 393 marine vertical because it is tunable anywhere in the HF range. I works great, I checked in to the OEN from the Southwest almost every night this past winter.
There is a ham radio flea market in Rickreal at the fairgrounds in November.
Jerry
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are photos of a portable antennae my brother brings with him and sets up when he boondocks with his Volvo C303 military vehicle. I don't know any specifics about it other than it is a 35 foot mast, and that he can talk to people very far away with the Ham radio.

Got love? Give love.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

It's an "Inverted V", fed with ladder line, very similar to what Jerry was describing. I'm a little concerned about that balled-up wad of feedline on a stick, though. Such a coiling of the line forms an inductor, which can act as an RF choke at radio frequencies. Better to play any excess out in a linear fashion than to coil it during use.

Automatic tuner built into the radio??? How modern. Nope, none of that here, my rig has old-fashion plate tuning and loading controls, but no new-fangled matching networks.