Knee Pads

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Knee Pads

Post by Headache »

Okay, time to get down to business. I need knee pads as I have lost almost all my knee caps on both knees. I've been looking around online and while I have found many that look like they'll do the job, I've never actually used them so I'm unsure.

If any of you have used them or know someone who does, would you please post what you know or pick their brains? I wish I knew some carpet or roofing people but I've been so long out of the loop socially I don't know anyone.

Obviously I'll need protective ones since I have to kneel down, and I'd also need good cushioning. The tougher the better as I'll be wearing them to do things all over the bus, including using them when I go look at it.

Thanks bunches.
splummer

Post by splummer »

:idea: if you find some good ones let me know, my knees are bad , had extensive reconstuctive surgery on both and they are not the same, the last one i even broke my knee cap , among othe knee issues :(
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I've heard great things about THESE. Read some of the reviews to get an idea.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

These are not cheap but i've been using them for years and there the best. They make it so you knell on your full shin http://proknee.com/
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Hey Dennis...I started to put that same link on here but then deleted because I didn't know anyone personally who's used them. But reviews on them are very good.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Those look good. May have to get some. Have been using the Lowe's cheepies and they work pretty good, but knees might appreciate a little better.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Oooh, thanks for the info! In consideration of my current finances I'm going to try the ones ezra suggested. However, if they aren't enough I'll start putting away the money for the ones Dennis suggested. Luckily I don't "have" to wear them to make a living so their use will be short term and then occasional after the main work is done on the bus. As we all know, the work is never really "done".

I'm actually ordering them from www.coopersafety.com as they are on sale there. The price was low enough that I also bought wrist protection.

Anti-vibration gloves are next on my list if anyone has any suggestions. I suppose I should have titled the thread "Protection and Safety Equipment".
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Dennis, thanks for that link. I'm getting to appreciate this protective stuff more and more!

A couple general thoughts:
- If you're working on a "fragile" surface, you want pads that don't scuff or scratch it
- The gel pads I'm using now are very large, flat and square at the front surface. OK, except that they tend to catch and hook stuff I'm around on the job site - like stacked tools or material, ladders, stringlines etc. Rounded edges and smaller profile consistent with good protection would be better.
- Elastic straps with permanent adjustments is good. "Hook" type fasteners (where you need to hook a ring or hook over a catch) can be a hassle; a plastic snap "buckle" would like be the best. Plain velcro is next choice, since it's usually not that hard to pull the elastic about the right tightness each time and slap it together. The on/off matters because fast'n'easy = always use it. And _that_ folks is the name of the game.

- The strap below the knee always gets to be irritating because it's the one that needs to be tight to hold the pad where you need it. Wider strap or even open webbing (to reduce heat and sweat) would be better there. The one Dennis referenced looks like they might use a slightly different system, so maybe they've solve this problem.

Rufus
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I've had my proknee's for 8 or 10 years and never even had to replace the pads. I don't remember but I think I paid a couple of hundred bucks for them with the carrying bag.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Dennis,

I take it the things are comfortable enough while standing up? They look pretty hefty. You got the original 5/8" pads probably - you think you'd get the fatter 1" pads if you were buying today?

Rufus