Prejudice

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Jesper The Dane

Prejudice

Post by Jesper The Dane »

Well, I don't really know how to get this one started! A lot of people we know, love and care about. Complete strangers and even my own son thinks both I and Jette are complete nutshells and crazy wanting to live on wheels... :(

Actually I have met so much prejudice, since I announced my plans to move into a home on wheels, that I'm stunned and amazed!! Who the F¤%& do people think they are, judging me for wanting to live the way I like???!!!! :x :x :x

I don't understand things like that... Maybe I'm naive - but all humans have different dreams for themselves, and maybe they do not all come thru - but the best of people, in my oppinion, are those that make do with whatever little they have. And with their own skills, hands, knowledge and creativity makes a life and a living for themselves.

My father calls me a 'hippie'...?! Well, maybe I am. But I don't look like one (- apart from having grown a beard over the past weeks!), and what if I am? What were ever wrong with the hippies? Who did they harm? I have been rich on money twice in my life, and lost everything twice too. I don't complain, and I don't envy other people having more possesions than I do - on the contrary, I love when people are having succes, or being succesful in any way they want to!!! But I also assume people to respect me for what I am, how I live and not for what I own...!!!

Have you ever experienced any prejudice against yourself for living on wheels???
:? :?

This is a picture taken at "Lane Studio" in Medicin Hat, Alberta in the 1930'ties. It pictures my greatgrandfather and his family who immigrated to Canada in 1915. My grandmother is the girl sitting in the chair. All the children were born in Medicin Hat. My greatgrandmother got sick overthere, so they went home to Denmark (unfortunately). Or else I might have been Canadian...

My great grandfather was a restless man. Maybe that's were I have it from. He wanted to go to America already in 1912, and bought a ticket for Titanic(!) But my greatgrandmother felt she was too young to follow him, so he waited another 3 years... Glad he did though! :wink:

I posted this to show how small the world really is, and how close we all are connected..!!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I hear yah. Givin a s**t what other people think is not something I do well so im good to go :D

PS: Thats a great old photo 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Headache

Post by Headache »

The "establishment" doesn't care much for free-wheeling types.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sounds pretty natural to me. The feelings, that is. Different is well, different and other folks can't apply the same ol' same ol' thoughts and patterns and so they have to wake up and figure out new ways to relate; IOW, make an effort. Some do that better than others. You walking out on the comfortable niche they put you in means that any part of their world which depends on you in that niche needs damage control. Not hard to understand they apply pressure to keeps things all same and cozy for themselves. You're rocking the boat, Bro'.

The rudeness, and other worse stuff - now that's not natural, that's just a personal problem for those people. But you gotta understand, telling somebody they're an idiot isn't necessarily a nasty thing - least I hope not cuz I've tried to enlighten my B-in-law in that regard a few times... <g> But we're still friends and have lots of respect. After I let him know how degraded his judgement is, I help him out, long as his plans don't look to damage anybody else. And he also has serious doubts about sanity here in the USA vv American women and their libby ideas (he's Assyrian). We struggle along.

So don't circle the wagons and start shooting just yet. Don't do that unless you absolutely have to. Be kind, try to help them see the wonderful differences we have in this world... You know, that kind generous, civilized, wise, idealistic approach that saves you from a lot of grief and may help your friends and family to settle down on the idea. You know that old Crosby,Stills,Nash lyric "teach your parents well...". Good song.

Oh, and GREAT picture!

Rufus
splummer

Post by splummer »

nice pic, if you chose to live your life according to others you will never seek happiness, live your life the way that you are happy with, but follow the golden rules, ,i have no time to worry what others think when it comes to my life style, iam happy , besides its to late for me to conform to their ways :D .to answer your question about prejudice about living on wheels ifit was there i didnt even see it
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Jesper The Dane

Post by Jesper The Dane »

Thanks for the input, I'm still not thru with this. But I'll try handling it like you. Defenitely it is not going ti disencourage me at all. Just makes me more eager to go and do it... :D
splummer

Post by splummer »

it works for me, if i allowed people to chose my life style i wouldnt be me, live as you are happy with , it would be tragic to wake up in 50 years and think i should have done it this way
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Headache

Post by Headache »

rlaggren wrote:And he also has serious doubts about sanity here in the USA vv American women and their libby ideas (he's Assyrian). We struggle along.
LOL, he'd really dislike me then! I think it might scare him to know that in many northeast woodlands tribes it is normal practice among "old" traditionals for the woman to own the property AND chose the man(and how many!) she was going to have!

Divorce was even better. If a gal got tired of the guy she was with she simply put his personal belongings outside the house and it was done. Or, if one gal thought a man being mistreated by his woman, she could claim the man from the offender.

Many northeast tribes held this kind of system because women were more apt to think of what was best for the community rather than themselves or while under the influence of a testosterone rush.

It wasn't a dominance thing either. It was simply a notion of who was most powerful, those who thought with their muscles, or those who could create life. /flex
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> the woman ... own the property AND chose the man...

I think that bit of enlightenment will might get realized in his next life - maybe! <G>

There was a cartoonist I liked in the 80's - 90's - single frames with blobby figures of middle American husbands/wives; lots of the women had huge bee-hive hair and nobody looked like a movie start. I read in an article when he retired that his whole career he specifically tried to memorialize the "big women" of the midwest which he considered the backbone of our society. I never "got it" until it was pointed out, just enjoyed his work, but I think it was true. Can't recall his name though.

Rufus