SoCal Travel

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

rlaggren

SoCal Travel

Post by rlaggren »

A friend invited me along on the maiden voyage (for her) in her Toyota RV. Went down to Ridgecrest, by China Lake because she knew a do-it-all mechanic down there; she had him add on a carry-cage on the rear bumper. With one thing and another it took about a week and BOY WAS IT HOT!

I think every day we were in Ridgecrest the temps topped 103F. We got the shop truck to poke around in while the guy worked and found a great little park with grass, shade, birds and all that, BUT... There was lots of wind and when it blew it blew HOTTER than when it didn't! Not your everyday wind, in my book. We got some relief (like about 8 degrees F.) by taking the RV up to Lake Isabella for a few days; not on the lake but down the Kearn river at a shaded camp ground with river access. Even the river was "hot" - about 70F. instead of the expect 62F. Makes me wonder what it was like down in Slab City - I'm thinking a lot of generators must be running down there.

The little RV worked out well, except... After two weeks of good times and going over Tioga Pass, it broke a timing chain _after_ it's final stop in the South San Francisco parking lot at the end of the trip. Real considerate, I say. <g> But she's hooked. Going to fix it up and hit the road again.

Rufus
dburt

Re: SoCal Travel

Post by dburt »

As the hippies used to say in the golden olden days- "Keep on truckin' man!"