Gypsy engagements/wedding

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Madine

Gypsy engagements/wedding

Post by Madine »

Hi there,
Are there any people who identify as gypsies or travellers online that are getting engaged and married in the near future?
Thanks,
Madine
Madine

Re: Gypsy engagements/wedding

Post by Madine »

Opps, I forgot to say any couples only in New Zealand?
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Could you clarify why you are asking the question?
Madine

Post by Madine »

Because I am a writer for a NZ magazine who would love to do a feature article on it. I asked Sharkey, who looks after the gypsy fairs in NZ, and he mentioned posting something on this website.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Firstly, to clarify. Sharkey has nothing to do with the New Zealand Gypsy Fair. He is a veteran house trucker of over thirty years, in the USA. If you want to know anything about house trucks, he's your man.

If you want to contact the Gypsy Fair, you can email them at: hippyhil AT paradise DOT net DOT nz I was given that email address by them two years ago, but it probably still works.

You could also try Stu from www.htnz.co.nz. you will find contact details for him at http://www.hostingnz.co.nz/contactus.html

I have contact details for a couple of New Zealand based Roma, but prefer not to give those details out, due to their concerns for privacy.

If you would like to contact me directly, you can either join up to the forum, or contact me through http://www.nomadichome.org/about-the-nomad/contact/
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

There seems to be a "sudden" interest in Travelers again. When I was much younger (in the 70's or so...) there was a big surge of interest with the obligatory documentaries. Recently it has come full circle again. Local PBS (Public Broadcast System) station showed the Gypsy wedding show below. Not sure how "true to life", but I enjoyed seeing some of the caravans.

Gypsy wedding show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16lMiMcZf4s
splummer

Post by splummer »

vid, doesnt seem tru to life to me
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have no second frame of reference. Does seem stilted, but ????
dburt

Post by dburt »

There is a TV show on cable and satellite being shown here in the states about Irish Travelers, who live in the UK and Europe. I take it from the contents of the show that they are what used to be known as gypsies? Although for some reason I always thought true gypsies were from Romania for some reason. Anyway, they seem to live the nomadic life in RVs, or caravans as they call them in the UK. A most interesting program, but it seems the days of hand crafted mobil living spaces are a thing of the past for Irish Travelers.
So, are gypsies just a name for nomadic wanderers, or are there real ethinic gypsies? And are Irish Travelers just from Ireland, or is that just a rather generic name for anyone who likes to live on the road?
Here in the US we tend to label anyone who has wander lust as a gypsy, there are even car, RV and motorcycle clubs that use the name gypsy in thier club names.
I would envision a book about gypsies as very interesting- it might give some of us who like to travel or wander around a bit of a clue as to why we do it! 8)
The Flying Tortoise
Roving Reporter

Post by The Flying Tortoise »

I'd be happy to get married as I have nothing much to do at the moment except enjoy life in the Far North, so if someone wants to ask me...
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Society for Creative Anachronisms has a lot of groups who "act" as Gypsy's, that is where I got some of my ideas for my vardo

LOis
Bash On Regardless!