Im not sure where this goes but

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Im not sure where this goes but

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I put the deposit on my new custom built flatbed trailer to build a tiny house on as a summer project 8) it's gonna be 22'x8'4" with 7 ton axles so it should be pretty solid to build on. A guy needs a project :D he said 4 to 5 week til I can pick it up :thumbup:
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Im not sure where this goes but

Post by stuartcnz »

Looking forward to seeing this! :thumbup:
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Yup. Guy definitely needs a project!

Ever considered building out of pink foam? 2-4" walls (can't remember if it was doubled or not - think it was). Floor, walls and lid were all foam sandwich with paneling inside and aluminum or GRP for the outer skin. Cabinets (box beam effectively) provide additional structural strength with some added beef around the door. I'll see if I can find the guys story if you're interested. He got the shell on the trailer then realized that his design shape was so non aerodynamic (square box front) that he sold it off and bought a used canned ham type. He wanted something that would tow with a small car.

But with those axles it sounds like you could use solid oak if you wanted, long as you could pull it. <g>

Rufus
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Im gonne frame it with 2x4's and Im thinking about having shot with 3 1/2" of :thumbup: foam
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Nice! Lots of pictures, too, please!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I'm bringing the trailer in to 8' so I can have a couple inch's of sofit at the roof and still cone in under the 8'6" width limit.
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Does New York register RV's at 8' 6" wide? Was checking into it here in OK, and they limit the width here to 8'. I find that kind of chicken crappy.... Could use the extra width in every trailer I have been in....
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I just got a call from the trailer shop and im up next and shoud be able to pick the trailer up a week from momday. Im pretty excited about :thumbup:
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Hi Dennis ... was looking at the Tiny House trailers ... very interesting ... could use on my Tarryall lots where by code I have to move every six months ... have two lots, move from one to the other ... not a loft person myself, like the Murphy Bed or Sofa bed idea for sleeping ... anxious for your posts ... :wink:
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

So far im I got a price to have the tiny house shot with r-21 foam and the copper sheets to make the standing seam roof and im pretty sure im goin with the Vermont casting aspin wood in red. I wanted to go with the Jotel 602 stove but it only comes in black iron now. Im hoping the trailer is done some time this coming week :thumbup:
Peace along the way
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

That is a project I could get into. What are your ideas for a floor plan? Jack
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I'm waiting until I get the trailer back to "Runway 24" then I'll work all that out
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Almost done 8) Image Image Image Image
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Sweet ... will you have brakes installed? Looks about 2/3rds done ... please post finished pics and specs on the trailer: tube size, hitch type, anti-sway, etc. Thought at first was your shop :wink: GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey there Doug
It's pretty much done in these photo's except for a couple more cross pieces of "C" steel under the middle. The whole outer perimeter is heavy walled 6" tubing and "C" channel steel and 4" down I had them weld a heavy 2" "L" to sit first sheet stainless steel then 1/2' pressure treated plywood at the bottom then 3 1/2" 2x4 floor beams bolted into the side of the box tubing so it's flush with the top of the new steel beams of the trailer so I can have an insulated floor below the surface of the trailer then 5/8 CDX plywood as my finished sub floor. I noticed most of the "Tiny homes" that I see people building are built on car trailers and not only are they only rated for about 6000 lb's but there only about 16' to 18' long so my thinking is that they are putting a lot of time and money on a pretty light weight trailer and could have a problem down the road somewhere and with a car trailer they have to start building on top of the trailer there by losing at least 4" which and it doesn’t seem like much until you think that your maximum height limit is only 13'6" cross most of the country so that's where my thinking came from when I designed the trailer. PS: new car trailer's run's between $3600.00 and $3800.00 and these guys built me this one 22' x 8' on 7 ton axles for $4200.00 with brakes and a nice 16" spare tire on a matching rim. So all and all I think it was the better way to go :thumbup:
Peace along the way