Web 2.0 really better than web 1.0?

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Web 2.0 really better than web 1.0?

Post by stuartcnz »

Last year, when I had returned from a trip to the States, I built a website to display my photos. As per usual, I built it on Wordpress, which is quick and easy to do.
For the most part you can do pretty neat stuff with wordpress and most other mature CMS.
There were a couple of issues with using wordpress though. Firstly, I was relying on plugins, which changed functionality, when they were updated. Secondly I was using flash to deliver some audio tracks. using a CMS (content management system) also requires regular updating, to keep on top of security issues.

Also, while I was able to get the website to mostly do what I wanted, there were a few things that weren't quite how I wanted them.

It's not a website that I intend on updating very often, so I decided to rebuild it from scratch, using old fashion static html pages. Over the last few weeks, I have completely rebuilt the site, and tonight, replaced the old one with the new one.

At less than 12 MB, it is about 143 MB smaller than the old one, whilst having more content. Using HTML5 for delivering the audio instead of flash; leaving it alone, it will become more accessible, not less, as people upgrade their web browsers over time. Being much simpler in construction, it should have much fewer security vulnerabilities than the previous version.

Any how, heres the link http://stuartcrawfordmedia.com/
There are more technical details included in the 'about' page.
somewhereinusa

Re: Web 2.0 really better than web 1.0?

Post by somewhereinusa »

Stuart,
Great website, love your pictures.

Dick
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Nice....very nice! Only had a few minutes tonight to look around, but will be back.

I have a question about the video editing software...you said Cinelerra is top of the line, with the following comment...can you elaborate? I don't guess I understand what that means.

(with the caveat that it is not suitable for the work flow of a commercial environment: The capability is unquestionable)

Couple of things were difficult for me. The black background with white text seemed to kind of "glow" giving a kind of shimmer to the text. The one thing I had real trouble seeing was the blue text for highlighted links. Old eyes don't see enough contrast...

Listening to the music right now!!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Stealth Camper wrote: I have a question about the video editing software...you said Cinelerra is top of the line, with the following comment...can you elaborate? I don't guess I understand what that means.

(with the caveat that it is not suitable for the work flow of a commercial environment: The capability is unquestionable)
The big work flow issue that Cinelerra tends to have, is getting the raw footage from the camera to the editor. In a commercial environment, ideally you want to be able to edit, straight from the camera, or at least, straight from the data storage device that the camera records to. That can be problematic in Cinelerra. Which means time lost, transferring the data to somewhere accessible, to Cinelerra. And can also require the footage to be transcoded to a different format, or proxy formatting, before editing can take place.

On the upside, among other things, as well as key framing and compositing, capabilities, Cinelerra is happy working well beyond standard 1920x1080 HD and also has multi audio channel mix down abilities.
Stealth Camper wrote: Couple of things were difficult for me. The black background with white text seemed to kind of "glow" giving a kind of shimmer to the text. The one thing I had real trouble seeing was the blue text for highlighted links.
One day I'll get around to fixing the link colour, but it could be awhile.

Believe it or not, there is no white text on the site. I started with white, but due to it's intensity actually brought it down to gray. It is the contrast with the black background that makes it look white.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Okay, I have changed the link colours. Hopefully they are easier to read now.

Also my apologies, I missed quite a bit of white text, that I though had already addressed in the stylesheets, got most of that fixed now.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

To further explain about what should be considered for work flow on video editors, here is a link to a development site, for a new GNU/Linux based video editor, that is being built.
http://lumiera.org/documentation/design ... tline.html