wood stoves

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

wood stoves

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

This is for Stuart or any any of you folks across the pond or anywhere for that matter. What's out there in small, good wood stoves? I've looked at most that's available here and although some of the marine stoves that are around are really nice, they not very good for ore then 4 or 5 hours at a clip and there a few grand. A few grand wouldn't be so bad if they had a little more burn time
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: wood stoves

Post by stuartcnz »

These have become popular over here in recent years.
http://www.littlecracker.co.nz/

Keith has one in The Flying Tortoise, and does rave about it. I would note though, that he has been shy about coming down to the cooler parts of the country. I don't have any personal experience with them.

I have also, on occasion seen another couple of makes, that are similar, that seem to be priced at about half of the Little Cracker. One is called Little Honey, but I can't remember the name of the other one I saw. I don't see either of these alternatives being advertised at the moment.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Having the dry source of heat is really good , but these little fires are just tooo small to have a long burn time , you have to have tiny pieces of fuel , and top up frequently.

The bigger firebox you can fit in the better , then burning a piece of blue gum or oak lasts for hours :)
58 Bedford House
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm, there a couple small stove here that are pretty nice at what about $1400.00 USD so I may end up with one of three Morso 1440, Vermont casting Aspen or the jotal 602 there all pretty nicely made. Im on the fence at the moment
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Dennis ... the stove I have is similar to a Jotul ... off brand cast iron knock off for real cheap ... $75 at a Home Depot years ago ... was missing a piece of the latch I easily found a fitting for ... 17" deep by 12" wide by 14" high firebox on 10" legs ... 25" tall overall ... love it.

Started with a double bellied coal fired laundry stove, tho took small wood fine. Double belly was water jacket to hot water tank via thermo-siphon. Loved it, but got tired of coal ... would give 3 to 4 hours per charge. I know where it currently resides, may try to get it back, my all time favorite.

I originally had a stove pipe oven ... remnant of the turn of the century but it collected creosote like crazy ... had a rotating cleaning handle but the creosote won in a couple of years ... did work well as an oven and secondary heat recover device, too well ... why the creosote became a problem ... don't have it anymore.

Woodstoves are great ... even the small airtights can be banked overnight. Green wood should be mixed and followed by a hot fire to reduce creosote build up ... chimney fires are not uncommon and should be planned ahead for ... proximity of chimney to combustibles, roof flashing, etc. I am working up a design for an isinglass window for ambient light on my stove.

I do like the Dikinson propane fireplace ... burn as long as you have propane ... this one is just over a grand ... have different sizes ... primarily for boats but easily adapted ...

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/dickinson_00-NEW-P12000.html

... I believe somthing like those were optional for Tiny Houses ...

Another option ... this fellow in Tiny Homes on the Move built a real nice small airtight ... Nomad Oasis, pages 14/15 ...

http://www.divinefactory.net/cs/earthship ... about 1/3rd down the page ...

Will build more myself, but getting past EPA regs for production and liability drives the cost sky high ... don't want to be the reason someone died via Asphyxiation or home fire ... :!:

What ever way you go I know you'll research and apply common sense ... you have my phone # for questions or just to say hello ...

GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I just stumbled onto this site for a small fire

http://www.unforgettablefirellc.com/kim ... ood-stove/
58 Bedford House
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dusty wrote:I just stumbled onto this site for a small fire

http://www.unforgettablefirellc.com/kim ... ood-stove/

That's a very nice looking system. $4,000 is more than I can put into that, though. Will stick with propane, I guess.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Ya know, I like the Kimberly but it's just shy of 5 grand and I only gave my 30 to do the entire project and I'm just over half into it so I'll see how I do nearing the end but it's a candidate for sure
Peace along the way