Top of the South

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Top of the South

Post by stuartcnz »

A few months ago, my old 1990 Toyota Camry reached the end of life. So I have replaced it with a high top, long wheel base 1988 Granroad Nissan Safari.
I have placed a bed in the back of it, and spent a few days, over the last week, traveling around the top of the South Island. One of the roads I went over, is an historic old stage coach road, that is still maintained as a public road. Actually I used to be one of the people maintaining it, about a decade ago. I believe that Dusty once took his house bus over it. It has some of my favorite NZ scenery, and for your viewing pleasure, I took the liberty of videoing it.

It is about half an hour long, traveling from Frog Flat, just off the main highway, to the top of the Matakitaki Valley, at the other end.
So get your self, your beverage of choice, and settle yourself in for a journey across the Maruia Saddle, available in up to full 1080 HD if you have the band width available. Click on the youtube logo to watch it on full screen.

Dusty

Re: Top of the South

Post by Dusty »

Very interesting , thanks, Stuart.

A very gentle intro to the road, it's not until about 5 or 6 minutes in that you realise there is no place to stop or turn , you are committed .

I took my 9m bus over the road. I should have been committed elsewhere :) . :shock:

About half way thru , was that at the summit where you stopped to clean the lens, it becomes more obvious the condition of the pass , narrower and steeper and more curves , thanks for the great reminder , I have got to do this again .

But in the truck.. :D
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

By my reckoning I went South to North. Entered from the Springs Junction end, and exited at the Murchison end.
I'm a bit fuzzy about where the summit actually is, so not sure on that. The bridge is new to me though, that was just another ford, last time I went through.
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Stuart ... glad you're out and about ... have my pickup rigged for road trips also ...
Eager to see the whole trip, I do have to get to a Wifi hotspot for the complete video ... from the start, could be many places in Colorado ... but the differences are actually worlds apart ... :)
"ya gotta have art ..."
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Great video, thanks for sharing