Peel and stick solar panels

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

User avatar
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Southold N.Y.
Contact:

Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Dennis The Bus Dweller » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:38 am

Although not the best in the efficiency department I got a great deal on 10/136 watt brand new (Old Stock) peel and stick Unisolar PV panels for $1000.00 for all 10. I just couldn't pass them up and 1360 watts is a nice size small array for a project. I guess one of the downfalls is that they're 18 feet long but I'll work that out when I get to it :D
Image
Image
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

ol trunt
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby ol trunt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 am

Nice find Dennis. I don't know much about solar but I like the peel and stick idea. Are they less fragile than the standard ones? Jack

User avatar
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Southold N.Y.
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Dennis The Bus Dweller » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:09 am

Not at all in fact they can be walk on. The guy I got them from has them stuck to the deck of his sail boat.
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way

Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Stealth Camper
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Stealth Camper » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:02 am

Sweet!! Is there a brand name?

I am planning on a standing seam metal roof on the barn, and have thought about using that type for the roof.

User avatar
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Southold N.Y.
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Dennis The Bus Dweller » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:13 am

They "were" made by Sanyo under the name Unisolar. The standard rigid PV panels are quite a bit more efficient and I can show you how to mount the on a standing seam roof without drilling any holes for bolts. Let me know when your ready and I'll dig you up some pic's of how it works
Peace along the way

Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Stealth Camper
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Stealth Camper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 am

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:They "were" made by Sanyo under the name Unisolar. The standard rigid PV panels are quite a bit more efficient and I can show you how to mount the on a standing seam roof without drilling any holes for bolts. Let me know when your ready and I'll dig you up some pic's of how it works



Thanks for the offer! I will. If you could start soon it would be good. Am starting on driveway in next few weeks - gravel a few hundred feet back to the barn site. Then build barn. When get to roof - planning for mid to late summer - will need it then. Is this a bracket arrangement that can be done on the roof, then install panels later?? Like generic enough so that any size panel mounted on "fits all" brackets....?

User avatar
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Southold N.Y.
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Dennis The Bus Dweller » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:11 am

Stealth Camper wrote:
Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:They "were" made by Sanyo under the name Unisolar. The standard rigid PV panels are quite a bit more efficient and I can show you how to mount the on a standing seam roof without drilling any holes for bolts. Let me know when your ready and I'll dig you up some pic's of how it works



Thanks for the offer! I will. If you could start soon it would be good. Am starting on driveway in next few weeks - gravel a few hundred feet back to the barn site. Then build barn. When get to roof - planning for mid to late summer - will need it then. Is this a bracket arrangement that can be done on the roof, then install panels later?? Like generic enough so that any size panel mounted on "fits all" brackets....?


Here ya go Stealthy. Here's a couple of links with pic's. If your still unclear drop me an email or a PM and we can work out a talk by phone. I've used them with a unirac system and I mounted the panels right on the blocks. Keep me posted
https://www.google.com/search?q=blocks+for+mounting+solar+panels+on+standing+seam+roof&biw=1366&bih=622&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjigurr2sjLAhUEZCYKHbRJCXQQsAQIQA#imgrc=8zu-b0r1Ty1JjM%3A

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=blocks+for+mounting+solar+panels+on+standing+seam+roof&tbm=shop

http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm
Peace along the way

Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Stealth Camper
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Stealth Camper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:19 am

Absolutely will keep you posted!! Thanks for the info!!

Those look very slick, just from a quick glance. I suppose they will hold the weight ok. Wonder how they will do with our 90 mph winds...?

This probably isn't the place for the kind of project I am doing, but this will be the box that lets me get the bus inside so can start working on it, so may put some of it as preliminary effort to the bus project...kind of a stretch, but I can rationalize just about anything!! Starting kind of a long/large sequence of projects very late in the game. Better late than never, though.

Stealth Camper
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Stealth Camper » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:23 am

Our state in it's infinite lack of wisdom passed a law last year that allows - actually appears to require - that electric utilities must charge home/business owners who install solar to pay a "fee" that can be as much as $25,000. I am not sure what to expect when I get started on this - need the grid power up front, but if they are going to do that, may just have to go all solar/wind/generator. "They" just don't want ya to get ahead....

User avatar
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Southold N.Y.
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Dennis The Bus Dweller » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

Stealth Camper wrote:Our state in it's infinite lack of wisdom passed a law last year that allows - actually appears to require - that electric utilities must charge home/business owners who install solar to pay a "fee" that can be as much as $25,000. I am not sure what to expect when I get started on this - need the grid power up front, but if they are going to do that, may just have to go all solar/wind/generator. "They" just don't want ya to get ahead....


Put a sunny island switch in the line and just shut the grid power off when you don't need it https://www.google.com/#q=sunny+boy+sunny+island
Peace along the way

Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Stealth Camper
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby Stealth Camper » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 am

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:
Stealth Camper wrote:Our state in it's infinite lack of wisdom passed a law last year that allows - actually appears to require - that electric utilities must charge home/business owners who install solar to pay a "fee" that can be as much as $25,000. I am not sure what to expect when I get started on this - need the grid power up front, but if they are going to do that, may just have to go all solar/wind/generator. "They" just don't want ya to get ahead....


Put a sunny island switch in the line and just shut the grid power off when you don't need it https://www.google.com/#q=sunny+boy+sunny+island



I think I am going one step further. The small co-op type utility available doesn't seem to be ready to fine us yet for solar...but if they do, I am gonna start all solar on the barn and just have grid at the house for a while. As I can buy more panels, will eventually just let the grid go. Also want to put a windmill up - have looked at Otherpower in the past and like their home made mills. May end up buying the book to make one.

Also plan to make at least a couple solar water heater panels. I made a small one back in the 70's that was pretty amazing for it's tiny size - want to have a big one!

Sure is quiet around here lately!

ol trunt
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Peel and stick solar panels

Postby ol trunt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Hey SC. Good to hear from you. I've often thought of making a solar water heater for my house. I once saw one that incorporated a 30 gallon well insulated buried tank, a very small recirculating pump and a 3' x 3' solar receiver mounted on the ground. It's owner said he always had adequate hot water during the day and enough for a couple of quick showers after dark. Granted the location was in Anza Borrego (So Cal desert) so plenty of sun. Jack


Return to “Stuff Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest