Learning to weld

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Learning to weld

Post by stuartcnz »

For years, I have wanted to learn how to weld. Four weeks ago I started a five week night school class. Two nights per week of TIG and two nights MIG.

TIG corner weld mild steel

MIG fillet weld mild steel

TIG fillet weld mild steel

TIG weld stainless steel

TIG corner welds stainless steel

Stealth Camper

Re: Learning to weld

Post by Stealth Camper »

Fast learner. Looks good.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Cool--isn't it fun playing with the sun! Jack
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

It is still so new to me, that things are still pretty hit and miss. But it is starting to sink in. And yes Jack, it is fun. I've only done one night on Aluminium and one night on stainless steel so far (TIG only), so should get one more night on each of those.

Two nights of MIG and three nights of TIG, left of the course.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Finished the MIG course. We were given some 6mm (1/4 ") plate to play with, which I found more enjoyable, probably because it was easier to weld.

We only used mild steel on the MIG course, and went through open corner, butt, butt with gap, lap, fillet, pipe, vertical up, and over head welds.

Last night of TIG is tomorrow. We didn't do as many different welds, but did do mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminium.

So far, I much prefer TIG to MIG, and my tutor has suggested that I spend more time working with aluminium, as not so many people can do it. So a useful skill to develop.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

stuartcnz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm Finished the MIG course. We were given some 6mm (1/4 ") plate to play with, which I found more enjoyable, probably because it was easier to weld.

We only used mild steel on the MIG course, and went through open corner, butt, butt with gap, lap, fillet, pipe, vertical up, and over head welds.

Last night of TIG is tomorrow. We didn't do as many different welds, but did do mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminium.

So far, I much prefer TIG to MIG, and my tutor has suggested that I spend more time working with aluminium, as not so many people can do it. So a useful skill to develop.

I have done some MIG with aluminum. Biggest pain in the backside I have ever welded! Also, I am not a great welder, but that was seriously tough to work with for me!