The Big Move

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

More about last week:

Wednesday, we went out to the land with my E12 Electrack in Prakash's truck, and about half my solar panels and a big load of Prakash's tools in mine. We spent a few hours cleaning the rain gutters, organizing the wood we left on the ground last trip, and securing the garage and house, replacing the locks on the garage door and making the roll up door lock for the first time ever.

Prakash left about 5 PM, and I stayed almost until dark, as I had to get the EV Pusher hitched up to my pickup and ready to tow back to the city to be used on the Housetruck when I move it over.

For the last two days, we have been emptying my shop, putting my tools and materials into the bus. To economize time, I moved the bus up to the front door of the shop, backing it up the driveway and putting the rear bumper nearly against the deck:

No, the camera isn't being held at some crazy, artful angle, the bus really is parked on an incline that is this steep. The amazing thing is that I didn't have any problems backing it up into this position. I didn't spin the wheels, fry the clutch or even have to touch the accelerator. The bus simply backed up (with some effort) as though it was no big deal.

We put a ramp from the front door steps of the shop and now have a level runway to carry things into the bus:

The shop is nearly empty, the bus is absorbing the contents of the shop with a lot of floor space left over. We're not even stacking the stuff we put in, simply covering the floor with a single layer.

Working inside the bus with it all tilted and inclined is messing with my balance. even sitting here in the Housetruck, I feel off-balance and as if the desk is off-level. Putting my feet up on the desk gives me a mild form of vertigo and I feel like I'm back in the bus with a fun-house anti-gravity weirdness that's hard to shake.

Tomorrow, I pick up a rental moving van that the radio station is loaning me for two days to move my big tools (table saws, band saw, large shelving units, etc). It had to be back at the rental place by 5 PM Monday, so we'll load tomorrow and make a trip out early Monday. It would be good to have a few hours to load the dumpsters and perhaps do some vacuuming and mopping, might be that we can soon go into the house without dust respirators to keep the pet dander and dust bunnies out of our lungs.
seayalatte66@yahoo.com

HANG IN THERE-THIS TOO WILL PASS

Post by seayalatte66@yahoo.com »

Hey, Just a word of incouragement. You've accomplished so much and the rewards will be forthcoming. You do all the work and we will come to enjoy all your effort. Take care of yourself. Love, Pat and Ken
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yeah, thanks Sis. Say, weren't you telling me last year that you were going to come up and help me move?

To everyone else;

The shop is basically empty, except for some things I'm still using and some wood scraps waiting for disposal. One of the radio stations I do work for came through with the use of a 15' rental truck for two days for free (I buy the gas), so once the bus was pretty much filled, we moved the truck into place and crammed it full.

Roger came by just at the time of the vehicle swap and helped us load the big saws and parts cabinets. Good thing, too, as the band saw was three-person heavy! Here Roger is taking a load off after loading:

Tomorrow (Monday) we take the truck out early and unload it (Thomas is coming by at 9 AM to come along to help), and hopefully, we'll have time to work on the house some. The free 7 day rental on the dumpster expires tomorrow or Tuesday, so I want to get the last of this first 30 yards of rubbish loaded so that they can come pick it up and deliver a new empty container for us to fill anew. I also need to have them move the metal scrap dumpster, as it's blocking access to the part of the yard where I prefer to park the Housetruck. It would make sense to remove all the metal from that part of the yard first though.

So, as of tonight, I have the bus (nearly ready to haul out), the Housetruck (likewise), and maybe one or two pickup loads more and I'm off the property. Prakash and I are hoping to make the move over to the new property and begin living there on Wednesday or Thursday.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Now I'm getting all confused. I don't know whether this belongs here, in the "moving" topic, or over in the Crown POTD thread...

Today was moving day for the bus.

Roger came over at about 9:30 AM to serve as my chase vehicle and to give me a ride back afterwards. Of course, I wasn't ready, and by the time we were set to go, it was about time to put some food down. We went over to the local Tacoria for burritos, then got the engine started and set out.

Before leaving, I dug some old CD walkie-talkies out of storage and found cigarette lighter plugs and cord sets for them so Roger and I could keep in touch. Testing them in the driveway worked fine.

On the freeway out of town the bus was ripping along at 55 MPH, and I didn't hear any of the load packed in the back shifting around. Out on the open road, the steering performed without a hitch, and I was making some good time The radio in the bus was nearly useless, as the alternator was putting out some hash that was interfering with the reception from Roger's radio, so I had to turn the squelch up so high I couldn't hear him. Oh well, onward.

After getting into the first foothills, and before the first major grade, I sensed a loss of power in the engine. On a slight uphill incline, the bus lost speed, even though I had the accelerator floored. Since there was nowhere to pull over before Badger Mountain, so I hit the bottom of the hill with as much power as I could muster. Shifted from fifth gear to fourth. Third. Second. I was crawling up the hill in the slow lane at about 15 MPH and losing speed all the way.

At the crest, the bus picked up speed rapidly, and I engaged the exhaust brake to hold it back, regulating the velocity to a reasonable level.

Back on the flat, I was back to 55 MPH in no time.

Pulled out at the Walton Store to tell Roger what was going on. I had a sinking feeling that the fuel filter was getting clogged from sediment and particulates from the 11 year-old diesel fuel in the tank. I was carrying a new spare filter that I purchased just for this possibility, but we decided that opening up the bus' fuel system was a bit risky. Any air introduced to the system could end up grounding the bus until the injection lines could be bled. We decided that there was only one more significant grade, the one before the tunnel, and that I'd just have to take it slow. Back on the road.

A few miles further west at the rest stop, I pulled over to let some traffic pass, then couldn't get the bus to govern out all the way in third, meaning that I was probably only going 35 MPH or less (the bus speedo wasn't working any longer by this time).

I pulled off the road at Richardson Road, determined that I could go any farther under those conditions. Richardson Road is a short connecting road that joins highway 126 to Stagecoach Road, which has few residences along it, and nearly no through traffic. I crossed the railroad tracks, turned the bus around and then parked on the opposite side of the road with the engine bay door facing out into the center of the street to change the filter.

Inside the bus, I had everything I needed to change the filter, ratty clothes, rubber gloves, rags and absorbent mats specially designed for sopping up oil spills, and most importantly, an oil filter strap wrench. I'd need a length of some sort of hose to siphon diesel from the tank to fill the filter so that there would be a minimum of air in the system. Looking around the inside of the bus, I found one of my pneumatic tools with an attached air hose, which I cut free with my knife.

Outside, I spread newspapers under the bus and back by the fuel filler, and put the absorbent mats (nicknamed "diapers") down to catch spills. I shut off the fuel supply from the tank using the installed gate valve. The filter was quite tight, I had to climb under the bus and sit upright inside the engine compartment so I could throw so weight into the filter wrench.

The old filter spilled black gunky fuel when removed. The new filter spun on and I started the engine, which didn't even sputter from the procedure.

Here's a view of the operation. It looks like we are working in the middle of a busy highway, but the whole time we were there only one car came by, which you can see turning left onto the main highway in the background:

Cleaned up the papers and rags, stuffing them all into a plastic bag. I found a 3 pound coffee can to put the old filter into, then stowed it away in an empty side compartment under the bus.

The rest of the drive was uneventful, I ripped up the road on the level and slight inclines, and lost only a little speed on the last steep grade before entering the tunnel.

At my new properties driveway, I parked the bus on the narrow county road and opened the gate before driving in under the trees that I trimmed up for height access yesterday.

The next challenge was getting across the bridge, as it requires some maneuvering to get the large vehicles lined up so that they can cross without rubbing on the guard rails. Unfortunately, a utility pole prevented me from getting the correct swing onto the bridge the first time, so I had to do a back-and-forth a few times before I could clear both sides of the bridge with the sides of the bus:

Eventually, I did make it, but now I wonder what getting out of the driveway will be like, maybe it's time to ask the utility to move the pole:

The bus had little problems getting up the steep, rutted part of the driveway, and I parked it a short ways from the house, in a sunny part of the yard.

Roger mugs for the camera.

Roger and I spent about two hours pitching scrap metal into the dumpster and throwing away garbage and rubbish from the yard. When I went to wash up, I found that there is no water in the house, something must have happened between the spring and the house, so next trip out, I'll need to do some exploring and find out what the problem is.

There is a postscript to this tale, but I'm fried and can't finish it right now, more to come soon....
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, so here's the kicker.

Roger and I finished up at the land, then drove into town on our way back to the city so I could satisfy my coffee habit. We then got on the highway back to the city and were just coming into Mapleton when something Roger said reminded me of something that made my heart sink. I had left the plastic bag with the oily rags and newspaper from the filter change in the bus! Although the weather is fairly cool now, I was worried that the diesel on the rags might begin to oxidize and spontaneously combust, turning my Crown project into a ruin.

Roger offer to turn around and drive back the 26 miles so we could correct the problem, but a simpler solution presented itself. We continued through Mapleton onto highway 36, and took the back way over the hill, saving many miles as quite a bit of time. The rags weren't even warm, but I spread them out in the rubbish dumpster and took the coffee can with the old filter and drained diesel out of the basement compartment for safe keeping as starter for scrap wood piles later.
Jerry Campbell

Moving

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Thanks for keeping us informed. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help and I'm sure many others feel the same.
Keep it up.
Jerry
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Sharkey,

I think I'm right on this, but others can chime in. Only drying oils like linseed or tung oil will spontaneously combust. The oxidation process of the drying is what heats them up. Motor oil (and presumably diesel) doesn't oxidize and dry so it stays cool. Also, if drying type oil is kept in a container (plastic bag?) with a limited amount of air (and hence oxygen) present, it will use up the oxygen before it gets hot enough to burn. But I'm sure you rested easier knowing you'd taken the rags out of the bus.

Best to you and all rolling homeowners,

Stillphil
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry;

You've already helped, the two truck batteries you contributed were an essential part of yesterday's move of the Crown to the new property. If you'd let me know how the satellite internet system you installed is working out, I'd be grateful. Come visit some time, you know how to find the place.

Stillphil;

Hmmm, I guess I wasn't willing to take a chance, I know I didn't lose any sleep over the situation, because I went back and removed any possibility of it becoming a problem. I was taught from the time I was old enough to work on projects around my Dad's home shop that rags with any mineral or petroleum deposits on them were a serious fire hazard, it's stayed with me all these years.

This is likely the last post from me from the old place. I spent the day preparing the Housetruck to go over to the coast, and unless things change drastically, my next message will be via dialup connection from the new place. Look forward to new and interesting photos of the move tomorrow.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Speed of light update, mostly because I can't seem to find the time to be online much these past few days.

Moved the Housetruck over last Saturday, using the Pusher as a power assist unit behind the truck. Roger Beck came by unexpectedly to help out and make the trip over as a chase vehicle. Thomas was along with the SeQuential truck, so I had plenty of assistance.

Here's the parting shot leaving the old property in the city, courtesy of Roger using my camera:

This was always my dream photo, showing my tail lights to the neighborhood for the last time.

Having the Pusher behind the truck made a huge difference. I've never been able to hold the truck in fourth overdrive on level ground without losing speed gradually. The few additional horsepower from the trailer made cruising at 55 MPH a breeze and going over the two passes in third gear overdrive experience instead of a second gear direct grind.

The trip was uneventful, and I pulled into the new property and parked in the driveway for a while before pulling the truck in beside the house on the south side (after cleaning up the last of the debris there).

Anyway, the short form of the rest of the story is that Thomas stayed overnight in the Crown and in the morning, we climbed the hillside to check out the problem with the spring so that we could have water. Turned out that a pipe that carries water from the catchment basin to the 55 gallon barrel that pipes it to the house had been disturbed, putting it back into place returned the water system to operation.

The rest of the week is a blur. I've been working on the yard and house, trying to get the bathrooms clean enough to use, filling 30 cubic yard dumpsters with rubbish and scrap metal, and creating a ~huge~ pile of burn wood out in the middle of the yard to torch off once burning restrictions lift later in the season. I've also been spending a considerable amount of time digging through boxes looking for things I need and trying to get the garage set up as a work shop.

Evenings, Prakash and I sit in the area formed by the Housetruck and his camper tending a small fire in a cut down barrel and taking in the absolute silence and the huge sky full of stars. It is becoming very easy to forget the noise and haste of city life.

More later as I have time, but the Big Move is pretty much complete, now it's time to settle in and start enjoying the new life...
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Sharkey,

Yay for you!!! This is the first day of the rest of your life, or some hackneyed phrase like that. But ain't it kinda true? Take a deep breath and let all the craziness of the past year out on the exhale. The zillion stars in the ink-black sky can handle it with no sweat!

Yippee tie one on! Time to celebrate!
Stillphil
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

PS: Please, more pics when you get time!

Stillphil
Sharkey
Original Founder

It's Over!!!

Post by Sharkey »

As of today, I can officially state that the moving is COMPLETED!!! The one thing that I hadn't done was to move my 8 x 16" insulated storage locker from the old property. When I was suffering from too much stress, I lightened the load by throwing myself into an intentional state of denial about the locker, deciding to let it wait until the rest of the move was done. Days turned into weeks and those into months, and here it is the last of December, and I have done nothing more than empty out the contents of the locker (like that wasn't a bunch of hard work all by itself).

A couple of days ago, my friend from Portland, Mark, called to ask if I had done anything about moving it yet. No, but I really wanted to get something done before the end of the year, I replied. He committed to coming down and helping me move it Friday and Saturday (today). His plan was to jack the building up and put it on a rented trailer and haul it out with his Explorer. I got on the phone and rented a large rough-terrain forklift, and called a towing company and got them to schedule a platform flatbed tow truck to come haul it for cheap ($300). Both much easier, and in the long run, less effort for us = better value for the money.

Yesterday, we met at the old property, blocked up the box (locker) enough to get the lift truck forks under it, and replaced one of the dry-rotted skids on the bottom so that it would sit on the tow truck properly. The forklift had 6 foot forks, not enough to make it the full 8 feet of the width of the box, so we had to block up the floor to take the weight. The wrecker arrived right at dusk, and we spent the next couple of hours futzing with it all, moving the forklift, blocking, shifting support points, and finally got it sitting on the bed of the truck to the driver's satisfaction.

After the truck left, we spent about another hour picking up tools in the dark and putting 6 railroad ties that were the foundation of the locker on his trailer, etc. We were done by 7PM, and ate some burritos before bailing out the big city and making the hour and a quarter drive home. I was beat.

This morning, I met the wrecker with the box load in town and led him the rest of the way to the new property. It took some convincing to get the box off the truck, we had to wrap a cargo strap around a tree and play out about 50' of 3/8" chain so that the truck could pull out from under the box with the flatbed tilted, but gravity won in the end and the locker is now resting on the ground, safe in it's new home.

I spent some time leveling the box, but will have a project in the next few days getting the railroad ties set up properly so that I can begin reloading my storage stuff from the house, where it's been temporarily until this move was completed.

I'm very weary this evening, but also very satisfied, as I will begin 2007 with nothing left from the "Big Move" hanging over my head. Halleluiah!