Home, Sweet Home (WAS: "The Big Move")

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Home, Sweet Home (WAS: "The Big Move")

Post by Sharkey »

I'm starting a new topic thread to continue the dialog about my new property, mostly because the moving is mostly done... mostly that is.... I still have to move my horse over next Sunday, and I have a storage garage back in the city with all of my home theatre equipment, carpets, couch and winter clothes and linens in it, all put away until the house here is clean enough to receive it all. The old thread is still open, but I'll probably limit my comments to this new topic.

First of all, I just experienced the most amazing moon rise in years. The big orb in the sky comes up much earlier than at my old place, and with the clear country air and patchy cloud cover backlit by moonshine, it was a magical experience!

Every day brings new closeness to the property. The house is under heavy remodeling, but the yard is getting better quickly. I've so far sent 50 cubic yards of rubbish to the dump, and am working on filling the next 20 yard container. 15 cubic yards of scrap metal left last week, and I have a new partly-filled 20 yard dumpster for more recycling. Thomas used the SeQuential truck and trailer last Friday to haul out a half-ton of old tires, taken to the city to be buried at the quarry.

Here's the second load of rubbish being hauled up on the truck to be taken away.

All of the lumber in the foreground is going on a burn pile, as soon as fire restrictions in the surrounding National Forest are lifted. The bed of the red pickup is also filled with scrap lumber. There is so much of it, that we've begun tossing it into the dumpster, which costs me $45 a ton to get rid of. The alternative is a burn pile that is so huge that I'd spend weeks picking it all up again to toss onto a fire (you're not supposed to torch off a pile of wood that big when engaging in "backyard burning").

Much of the crappy fences, old rabbit cages, overgrown bushes and assorted yard debris on the south side of the driveway is gone, and I've been mowing summer's dry stubble down to reveal fresh new shoots of grass brought forth by the few rain showers so far this season.

We've set up a nice camp for the Housetruck and Prakash's camper to the south of the house. We have a picnic table, power and telephone, and have a fire in the fire pit most nights:

Prakash gets kind of crazed when he goes into cleanup mode, and letting him too near the house has resulted in all of the windows being removed for cleaning, all of the interior doors and frames removed and thrown into the rubbish dumpster, along with all of the baseboards, window trim, etc. One day last weekend, I went into the city and when I came back, all of the kitchen cabinets were demolished and thrown into the rubbish dumpster. He found gigantic mouse nests behind the paneling above the fireplace mantel, under the kitchen cabinets, in the soffets above the overhead kitchen cabinets, and all throughout the walls behind the sheetrock in the kitchen. Additionally, the floor of the kitchen was thoroughly dry rotted, and has been cut out to allow replacement of the damaged structural flooring members. One of the two bathrooms is stripped bare, but I managed to get him to leave the toilet in the bathroom we are using. He did rip out the vanity and sink, though, so now there is no sink at all in the house.

Here's an action shot of Prakash making splinters out of the kitchen floor. Note the dry rot going up both the walls...

Today, I went into town (the small, coastal town, down where the county road meets the highway back to the big city) to pay some bills, get a post office box, stop by a client's radio station and eat lunch and take a nap on the beach. After arriving home at 4:30 PM, I went to work on mouse-proofing the garage (a start, at least), and removed more debris from the rafters and prepared some shelves for tools and storage. Getting the garage converted into a working shop is taking a back seat to home repairs while Prakash is here to help with that important work.

So, where's all this leading? The house cleanup/fixup is turning into a major project, it's no longer a "fresh coat of paint" job. Most likely, it will take me working by myself the better part of a year to put the house back together.

The inside of the Crown looks like a rummage sale. I used it as the moving van, and there is stuff strewn all over inside, some orderly, some just a jumble. The bus is sitting where I parked it after driving in, and not at all level at that.

The housetruck is little better off. It's still mostly packed up for travel, and barely level, sitting on a few blocks at the side of the yard, and propped up on the road side by a 22 ton jack. I need to get it properly leveled and up on blocks and posts before winter.

Winter. I don't have enough fire wood to make it through a Valley winter, so I need to scramble about and find some dry wood and put it up or else hope that the season is much less cold here and that I can keep warm using electric heaters. The power price from the public utility is twice as expensive as in the city.

Prakash leaves in a week, hopefully in that time we can get the house put back together enough to be weather proof and mouse proof. After his departure, I'll switch modes to unpacking and securing the bus and truck for the winter, as well as keeping up with cleaning up the yard as much as possible.

Moving turned out to be the hardest thing I've ever done. Harder even than burying my Mother. I never want to go through it again, and advise anyone with more possessions than will fit into a compact car to avoid the experience at all costs.

-=But=-

When I step outside and see that moon rising over the eastern ridge, when I realize that I have gone days without hearing a siren or a train or industrial noise, when I don't smell pollution, pollen, or the sewage plant back in the city... I know it was all necessary and worth it.
lemmiwinks

Re: Home, Sweet Home (WAS: "The Big Move")

Post by lemmiwinks »

Sharkey wrote:Moving turned out to be the hardest thing I've ever done. [...] I never want to go through it again, and advise anyone with more possessions than will fit into a compact car to avoid the experience at all costs.
Sound advice indeed Mr Sharkey, it certainly is a traumatic and unsettling (not to mention expensive!) experience. I loathe it.

I first found your website trolling for EV info and spent the next few days staring in wide eyed admiration and amazement at your EV Pusher, Electric Rabbit (I am still deeply envious of this) and the tasty housetrucks and buses. I've been hooked ever since. My addiction brought me to your forum for more updates (which I've duly received, thanks!)
Truckingturtle
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Truckingturtle »

So Sharkey...are you going to leave your front gate unlocked so your friends and I can come by and visit you? I would like to enjoy the quietness and clean air with you some time. I also want to clean up your berry patches so next year you will have more then you can eat and want to bring some of them to me.

Roger
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Roger, when did you sneak this in, I missed it? Sure, the gate is only closed with a chain and hook when I'm here. You can always call ahead to make sure I'm home, I don't go out much these days, too much to do.

Last night I was thinking that I'd be well off to convert the Crown into the guest cottage until the house is far enough along to offer as accommodations. Once I get the tools and materials that are in the bus moved into the garage, I can put my home theatre gear and furnishings into the bus and stop renting that storage garage in the city.

You wouldn't believe the changes in the yard over the last three weeks. I have to go into the city to do some work and attend the flea market, but I'll try to put up a few pictures tonight.
Truckingturtle
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Truckingturtle »

Sharkey, you have it all wrong. When you get your housebus ready to be a guest house, then YOU should move in. Then, use the old housetruck as a guest house. Isn't the Crown supposed to be your new home? Think about all the years you have been working hard for it to be your house. It's time to finish it! It's so close.

Oh by the way...I can't phone you if I don't have your new number. Please email me.

Roger
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Some updateness.

Prakash left on Friday morning, on his way back to Santa Cruz. Since the weather was about to change and I hadn't had a day off since I could remember, I packed up a lunch and headed over to the beach, spending four hours or so out on the sand letting my mind drift.

Saturday, I worked around the property, organizing the garage now that Prakash's tools were gone and spent some time putting the stove pipe and chimney back into the Housetruck, as I had removed them for summer and the move. One of my priorities right now is to get the wood stove put back in and operational, and to saw up and stack some fire wood so that I can stop burning those kilowatt logs in the electric heater. Saturday afternoon, I spent some time cleaning the rain gutters on the house and collecting yard tools and putting things away for the coming rain.

Sunday, it did rain some. I went into the city to fix up a problem for a client, attend the flea market, do some grocery and hardware shopping, and take another full load in my pickup, removing supplies and tools from my storage locker, which is still on the old property, and the storage garage which I’m renting.

Sunday night, I got home just before dark and found that there had been some wind, my potted plants were blown over, some corrugated steel roofing that was leaned up against the wood shed was down, and there was rain water in the carport and under the porch awning on the Housetruck. I also noticed that there were a number of small branches broken off one of the apple trees in the front yard. Must have been quite a wind.

Monday morning, I noticed that there was also a substantial upper branch on another apple tree broken off. I wondered if the smaller branches had been pulled down by elk, but didn't see any hoof prints in the wet soil. The large branch would have been out of reach of any elk, so I concluded that it was the wind after all.

Just before noon, I went into town (the small coastal town, 12 miles away) to put in some hours for the radio station there. They had some projects that needed attention, and considering that I've been opening my wallet so much to pay out for materials, gas and food while Prakash was here, making some income would be a good idea for a change.

The EV Rabbit has been sitting in the carport for over a month since moving it over from the city. I've kind of been having a bad feeling that it is no longer a practical vehicle for me now that I don't live in an urban environment. Although the batteries are getting a bit tired, a 12+ mile trip into town with ample time to recharge shouldn’t be too difficult, so I loaded my tools up and set out, driving along the two-lane road at about 45 MPH.

After 10 miles, it became apparent that the batteries were sagging badly, the terminal voltage with a 100 amp load was only about 75 volts, where it would normally be over 100. No way out now, I decreased my speed a bit and kept going. The radio station turned out to be 14.1 miles from home, and the consumption from the batteries was 39 ampere-hours. I've used this much capacity recently and didn't see this much of a drop-off in voltage, so I'm wondering if not exercising the batteries with use has given them a temporary loss of capacity. Batteries like to be kept in use, and sitting around, even fully charged makes them lazy.

Once at the station, I plugged in the charger and set the charge current low enough that it wouldn't blow the circuit breaker in the electrical panel. The EV can draw 20+ amps out of a household outlet, more than many common receptacles can keep up with, especially if there are other loads on the circuit.

I was at the station for six hours, including eating lunch, and when I finished with the job, the car was just getting done charging. Good timing. On the way home, I decided to go slower, and simply let the car idle in fourth gear, which resulted in a speed of about 40 MPH on flat ground. Got home with better battery life and only 30 ampere-hours consumption. Used another 4 AH trying to get up the steep rough part of the driveway. The EV had plenty of torque, but lost traction before getting to the top of the hill, and I had to back down and put it in reverse, backing up the driveway for better traction. Mission accomplished, it will be interesting to see if the batteries regain some of their capacity with use. I also intend to putting in a higher current electrical connection so that I can charge faster at the station.

This morning, after giving my horse her breakfast, I went over to the fallen apple tree branch to pick her a few apples, but found that there were none. Odd, yesterday the branches and ground were littered with them. Elk? Then I noticed a big pile of loose feces loaded with apple bits. Not elk. About that time, I noticed that the small apple tree had deep cuts going all up the trunk and into the crown. Bears. Goddamned freaking black bears less than 25 feet from the house. Looking around, I found another seven or eight piles of crap, and then began to wonder if removing some of the fences in the yard was a good idea. Now I doubt that it matters, the apple tree trunk was covered in similar cuts that had healed over in the bark, and I found broken branches that obviously had been from previous years. This place is on the seasonal bear menu. Apples are ripe, so they come and "harvest" them. The ratty fences that I removed hadn’t kept them out before.

So, today I have some projects. I need to get out the orchard ladder and pick as many apples as I can reach, which will save them from the bears, and I need to get out my electric fence charger and set up some wire going up the trunk of the small apple tree. Maybe giving the bruins a bit of a sting will discourage them from loitering in the yard.

Anyone have a suggestion for uses of bear crap, I have lots to get rid of....
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Hey, maybe if you put it around the garden area it will keep the rabbits scared away! ;). Also, now you can answer that age-old question, "Does a bear s--- in the woods?" NOT NECESSARILY!

Stillphil
Illegitimi non carborundum!
lemmiwinks

Post by lemmiwinks »

Woohoo, long live the EVRabbit!! :D

Are black bears dangerous? Or is it brown bears? Are brown bears Grizzly bears? I'm pretty sure they're dangerous (grizzly).

I dunno about a bear shitting in the woods, but I'm pretty sure I would if I came across one! :wink:
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Black bears are universally considered to be big pussies, about all you have to do is yell "Boo!" at them and they haul ass. One web site I visited after the apple tree visitation said that they are even unable to get any ire up to defend their young, it's pretty common for researchers to cart off screaming cubs right in front of the mother and she couldn't be bothered to care. Not that I'll be trying that of course, being run over by a scared bear trying to get away must be a painful experience.

The owner of the radio station here that I work for has offered to "off" any bears that become a problem, he has a permit from DF&W and the proper weaponry. I can't see that doing what a bear does (eating) is a big problem so far, so if this is an isolated incident and they keep to themselves, I'll let them live (for now).
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Update-o-rama...

Well, my desktop computer is basically dead now, won't connect to the internet at all. I tried installing an external modem, but it can't see that either. I've backed up my files and am using the laptop computer until I can get time to rip into the main computer and see if I can find the problem.

Last week, I leveled the Crown, and put the rain gutters back on it for the winter. It's really nice having the bus all level again after all those weeks of fun-house tilt and lean.

The bears have faded into the background it seems, now that there are no apples on the trees for them to eat. I found the place where they come into the yard, a mashed-down section of fence and side-by-side ruts worn into the steep hillside below. I still need to clean up their crap, I keep finding piles of it all over the side part of the yard, nothing too fresh lately, but stepping in bear crap isn't too pleasant (ask me how I know).

Last Sunday, Roger Beck (Truckingturtle) dropped in for a visit, bringing me some hardwood kindling from his cabinet shop and cherry shavings for the horse barn floor. We spent a couple of hours weeding out the old canes from the berry bramble, then trellised the better new canes up to get them ready for spring production. Afterwards, Roger and I went up to the spring to investigate why I have so much sediment in my water. Turned out that the bottom of the collection barrel was filled with stinky black-brown sludge. We cleaned all of it out and installed some new screening to keep leaves and varmints out of the barrel, then called it a day. With the sludge out of the barrel, the water filter system I'm building worked very well, and could cope with the small amount of grit that came down the pipe from the hillside.

Of course, that only lasted a day. Tuesday, the silt and sentiment was back as bad as ever. I had to go to the city Tuesday, and worked at the radio station here Wednesday. I planned to make another trip up to the spring after lunch today, but managed to take a wrong step and sprained my ankle a little bit before heading off on the 1/3 mile trip up the steep hillside to the spring. I decided to let it ride until tomorrow (Friday) to rest my ankle. Instead, I spent the afternoon getting electric power out to the Crown.

This weekend, Greg, previous owner of the White Super Power bus is coming down from his new home in Tacoma for a visit. I've been removing the shop tools and storage items from the interior of the bus and attempting to get it ready to be a guest house for the weekend. Having a way to heat the bus will be important, it's been going down pretty close to freezing each night.

Anyhow, about 4:00 PM the truck arrived to take away the latest 20 yard dumpster of rubbish, and while he was getting hooked up to the drop box, I managed to slip on some leaves and really torque the hell out of my already sore ankle. I headed back to the Housetruck as soon as the job was done, and put my leg up for a half hour or so, and then wrapped my ankle with an elastic bandage. There were still things I had to do to get ready for nightfall, and my ankle felt better so I went out and closed up the bus, put the horse in her corral, put away some tools and got firewood ready for the night. I barely made it back to the Housetruck before I could no longer walk at all.

What fun. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. If I can't get around in a more-or-less normal manner, the bus isn't going to get emptied, the floors aren't going to get vacuumed, and my guest house plan is going to get foiled. Worse yet, the water situation is bad and getting worse. Even drawing a half gallon of water out of the supply clogs up the first filter in the series, and I have to take it apart and clean it. I can't imagine that I'll be recovered enough to hike up to the spring and fix the problem at the source, so it's going to be a rough next few days.

I suppose that looking on the bright side (which I usually try to avoid), it's a good thing this didn't happen in the middle of the move. Anyway, morning light will reveal the new path, whatever it turns out to be
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Ouch! Sorry about the ankle, Sharkey. Seems like whenever I get in a fizz about all the things I have to do I hurt myself. I think it's my subconscious telling me to slow down and take one thing at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day. It took about a week and a half, didn't it?

The old people in the mountains here liked to see a salamander in their spring because they figured if it could live there the water must be healthful. Yikes! Is all the sediment coming from the springwater itself or is there no cover for the spring, or is surface water draining into it? Springs usually aren't spilling that much sediment of themselves. Hey, you don't suppose the bears are......No, let's not go there!

Seems like there needs to be another settling tank in the line somewhere.

If your ankle isn't a lot better in a day or two or starts to turn black and blue, better get an x-ray. I limped around on a broken ankle last year for several days before I got over my stubbornness and got it looked at. Wore a big orthopedic boot for 8 weeks. Blah. You know the acronym RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Take care,
Stillphil, former ER nurse
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The ankle thing turned out to be a non-problem, the next day it was a bit sore, but not anything to slow me down. I spent the day emptying the Crown of all of the boxes, tools, plywood, lumber and other junk from the move, and vacuumed it out. I didn't go to the spring because the path up the hill is rugged, and I didn't want to risk turning my ankle again so soon.

Saturday, I went over to the big city to load up another pickup load of possessions stored in the rent-a-garage, then met up with Greg and we caravanned out to the ranch. Stayed up eating, drinking bourbon, and talking. Yesterday was pretty lazy in the morning, as it was showering a bit, then we went up to the spring to see what the problem was there.

There was some large sediment on the screening on top of the barrel, and some leaves, but nothing that would indicate why I had so much sediment. I pulled the pipe off the bottom of the barrel and let it drain. The water coming out was rust colored by the time it got past the halfway mark. The bottom 6" of the barrel (which is below the outlet pipe) was solid rusty colored. There was a small layer of rust sediment on the bottom of the barrel, but not enough to account for the water being full of crud.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that this collection barrel is just an old 55 gallon drum, which has probably been up on the hillside for years and years. The inside walls are heavily pocked with big rust blobs that look a lot like barnacles. After washing out the barrel this time, I examined them more closely and found that although they are solid on the outside, they weep tiny particles of rust from the hundreds of small openings they are covered with. Of course, rust is heavier than water, so they should fall to the bottom of the barrel and collect there, eventually building up a thick layer that would pollute the water exiting the pipe above the bottom of the drum. The problem I was having was that with a solid stream of water constantly entering the drum, the particles were being held in suspension and sucked into the pipe to be carried to the house.

After repositioning the drum onto a more level part of the streambed and lengthening the pipe leading away from the barrel using some 3/4" poly we had carried up the hill for that purpose, I reinstalled the screening and then set up the pipe feeding the barrel so that instead of 10 gallons per minute, I'm only getting about a half gallon over the same period. This should keep the flow and turbulence low enough that the rust will settle to the bottom of the barrel and stop polluting the water supply to the house. I was able to use some of the scraps of pipe, rain gutter and corrugated steel roofing to set the input to the drum up so that leaves and debris will be washed through the collection system, and small grit from the spring itself will be shunted away from the collection drum while still providing a small flow.

Of course, the proper solution will be to replace the cruddy old drum with a nice food-grade polyethylene 55 gallon drum that I have out in the yard, but that will be another project to prepare for. I want to build an input shunt system so that when I use a larger supply of water, I have access to the full flow of the spring, but when I don't consume any water, the supply is diverted around the collection barrel, keeping dirt and debris out.

For the time being, I think I'm still purging the 1500 feet of 3/4 pipe that runs up the hill to the spring, the filter is still catching rust. We had a hard freeze last night, and I ran the faucet in the housetruck to prevent the pipes from freezing. Just a trickle, but enough to keep the water moving. The filter has some rust clogging, but not bad. Hopefully, the lower flow through the drum will lower the filter maintenance issues until I can get the new barrel prepared and get some help hauling it up the hillside for installation.

After working on the spring, Greg went for a walk down by the creek, and I put together some of my home theatre equipment from the trip to the city, setting it up in the Crown so that we could watch the DVD episode of my appearance in the Ecotrekker "Coolfuels Roadtrip" series. Good thing I got adequate power to the bus, it would have been an uncomfortable night for guests in the bus without the ability to run the electric heater!

More projects to come, today is looking to be a full-on sunny fall day.
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Sharkey, et al,

The way the best spring setups were built here in the Appalachians have 2 components. The spring is surrounded by a small cast-in-place concrete box with a pipe near the bottom and one near the top. This spring box has a removable cover. The top pipe is for overflow. The bottom one is the outlet to a concrete reservoir (situated further down), which is sometimes partially buried, of a couple hundred gallons or more. This one also has an overflow pipe and a lower pipe which goes down to the house. Some reservoirs were cast in place and some were made from concrete septic tanks (new--not previously used ones!!).

This system is more work to set up, but lasts several lifetimes if built well. In casting the spring box, the water exits the bottom pipe as the concrete sets up and then is hooked up to the reservoir. If all the pipe is buried and insulated from below ground up into the house, it usually doesn't freeze. If one is lucky and smart (an unstoppable combination!), this system requires little maintenance. Groundwater should be diverted away from both boxes.

I've also seen springboxes made from a short but 3-4 foot diameter piece of concrete culvert pipe placed vertically over the spring. Pipe holes are chipped/drilled through the walls and a cover made.

Perhaps a project for later, I imagine! Or at least until your ankle is 100 percent. -grin-

Best,
Stillphil
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Thanks for the description of spring development, I need to find all types of input on what has worked for other people and sties. Unfortunately, concrete in any quantity is going to be nearly impossible in this situation. The track to the spring is a narrow path cut into the steep hillside, wide enough for a quad ATV, but much too narrow for a pickup truck and impossible for any heavy equipment without a lot of develpoment. The last 500 feet or so, the ATV trail turns into a foot path, and even that is gone by the time you reach the water source. There are a couple of 15" diameter fallen trees to scramble over, and small landslides have reduced the foot path to a few horizontal foot landings stomped into the soft dirt. One misstep and you'd be tumbling through brush to the ravine bottom.

I traversed this treacherous route yesterday to find out why there was no water after my last outing. I took a bow saw and cut nearly all of the branches that one had to either step over or duck under along the path, including most of them at the spring site. The collection barrel was empty when I arrived, but nothing had changed since the day before, so I have to assume that the leaks in the line going to the house consume more than the amount of water that I was allowing to enter the barrel. I removed some of the diversion that I had placed in the flow to shunt part of the flow to waste and then watched the level for about 20 minutes while I cut limbs to make sure that it was continuing to overflow rather then losing level.

Taking a shower released some trapped air from the system, and the spin filter stayed clean, but the pressure was low, and hadn't come back up yet, I may still not have enough flow yet. Time to get the polyethylene barrel into service so I don't have to deal with rust.

Last night was very cold, and I ran the faucet in the Housetruck at a fairly fast trickle to prevent the hoses and lines under the truck from freezing. I woke up about 4:30 AM and couldn't hear the water running any more. The temperature had dropped to 23 degrees, and apparently the lines from the spring had frozen, even with the trickle, as there was no water anywhere in the system. There is a run of about 40-50 feet in the air over the creek, and I assume that it froze there. Fortunately, the new spin filter and the cartridge filter out by the pressure tank hadn't yet frozen, so I drained them. I don't know yet about the Housetruck plumbing. Normally, I completely disconnect and drain the plumbing in the truck when it gets this cold, but I was partially taken by surprise by the low temp, and when I got ready for bed, I smelled a skunk outside when I went out to turn off the lights in the garage. I lost interest in being outside poking around with hoses in the dark about that time.

Two more degrees until it thaws, then I find out if I need to replace the pipes and fittings under the Housetruck, or if I can concentrate on something else the rest of the day…
matt

well?

Post by matt »

Why not just dig a well? It'd certainly be in a better location, and wells tend to be much more reliable than streams in the first place.