hey sharkey-

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dj

hey sharkey-

Post by Dj »

Hey Sharkey,

Two things...

First, I registered for an account yesterday, and it said it was going to email me something or something like that, but no email came. I know I typed my email address correctly. Could you check into it? It won't let me post as a guest under "Dj" anymore because the account is there.

Second, what is the story of the ford coe tanker parked next to your housetruck in this photo? I love old coe trucks :)

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dj, the PHP mail service is sometimes flaky and doesn't send out the confirmation mail so that you can activate your account. I've gone into the Administrator's control panel and activated your username, so you should be able to log in.

The 1956 Ford in the background is a former fire pumper that has been recruited in it's retirement as a fire and road water truck for the OCF. It's been way past it's prime for many years, but the crews love it and somehow manage to find parts and keep it running. It's named the "Peach Truck" for the logo of the fair that is painted on the back of the tank, and it's the platform for the naked parade through the parking lots the Monday after the fair, when many of the lot crew (of both sexes) doff their garments, load onto the platforms along the sides and on top of the tank and moon any and everyone in the parking lots as the truck slowly drives through spraying water to keep the dust down on the roads.
Dj

Post by Dj »

:shock: :D

Greatness! Love to hear old trucks still gettin' loved, even if it is by a bunch of naked people spraying water... lol

thanks for fixing my account, appreciate it! :)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

No problem on the account activation, I try to keep this thing operating properly...

Through the magic of database minipulation, I've attributed your guest posts to your new username and incremented your post count accordingly.
Dj

Post by Dj »

"Use the Schwartz." - Spaceballs

DB-Foo is a good skill. I was wondering if you were going to twiddle some bits on that.

If you ever need a hand with anything (sounds like you've got it covered though), I've been running phpBB's since 1.x and eagerly awaiting the new features when 3.x goes to release.

Have a look at one of my babies... http://www.rebel250.com

cheers,
dj
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Interesting, so what theme is that on your site? I taught myself PHP by tearing apart the code for phpBB 2.0.7 and turning it into something altogether different. This was before I knew that there were such things as "mods", so I analyzed the code and wrote all the hacks myself. I was kind of pissed when I found out that things I worked on for days to figure out were available for download and took 5 minutes to install.

Also wondering how you are managing the awful spam problem? I almost took this form down last year after the worst of the spam attacks. You already have seen the FREECAP confirmation image I'm using. That and causing registration to fail if a profile is posted with a website entered has pretty much stopped spammers. I haven't had a spam registration for almost a year. Of course it also helps that I've denied all search bots in robots.txt from crawling any and all of the forum. Oh, and I changed the filename of viewtopic.php to halt the dreaded Santy-A attack.

I have (had) 450 or 600 posts or something like that over at the phpBB.com support forum. Too much competition between the heavy hitters over there, and some of the mods are insane (karlsemple, are you out there...???), I finally bailed.
Dj

Post by Dj »

I knew a little php before I got into the phpBB stuff, but I also didn't know about mods (or were there really no mods for 1.x? I can't remember, that was so last century :D ) and in late 2001 I found myself jobless like so many other techies, and went out on a limb doing system administration and freelance php coding, and landed a gig customizing phpBB systems. Found my way into just about every nook and cranny of the codebase over the years, and have implemented little custom tweaks here and there on just about every phpBB I've had my hands on... only to find out later that there was already a mod that did something similar. :lol:

Spam on phpBB used to be very manual, with people searching out forums and registering and posting one-offs... that was really tough to stop, but then some smart people started making the spam bots that go nuts trying to register and spam or find guest-enabled forums or what have you. We did something similar to what you've got, without actually removing the form input field... we thought about making them all hidden on the first go when a new user is registering (but not hidden when going into profile to edit it) but decided to leave them there because people were still doing manual setups... we put in a BIG RED WARNING on the registration that says not to put anything into the location, web, IM or sig fields, and if anything is put into any of those fields, the registration aborts after submission and it fires off an email to me, so if it looks legitimate I can follow up with an email to the user to see whats up. It's available as a mod now, buried in the phpbb mods list somewhere... not as elegant as I'd prefer, but it seems to do the job well. We've only had 2-3 spams since putting it in place several months back, and we had to keep checking up for spams throughout the day prior to that.

I get probably 4-5 of those spambot registration attempt emails every day, only twice have I seen a legit user overlook the warning and get snarled up by the mod, and both times the user realized what they did wrong and got set up just fine without intervention.

We really can't afford not to let the search engines crawl the site, it's our #1 traffic generator... since I took over the site and made some mods to ensure that keywords were in the right places, search hits have gone through the roof, as have new users... Honda makes a bazillion of those little 250 motorcycles every year, and most folks who buy them would have no idea that there was a community to support them if we weren't turning up on searches... our whole site is the forum, so it's kind of a necessity there.

After tooting my horn and saying I know a lot about phpBB, I'm embarrassed to say i'd not heard of it by the name "Santy-A"... i'd heard of input handling exploits, but those were fixed starting with 2.0.12, and I had been out of the loop for a few versions after I got back to work in the tech sector in '03.

I can't stand super-active forums, especially if they really divide up the discussions into a million almost-related subfora... I already have too much to do every day, and some admins try to make it difficult to participate and/or get things so huge you just can't stay afloat, sort of like phpBB's own forums. I scan around there from time to time for mods and patches and if I'm having a problem, but I just can't be bothered to keep up with the day-to-day.

Another bike of mine is the KLR650, and I was very active on that forum when he was on phpBB until he split it into no less than 75 subfora... after which he found that it was too tough to administrate and he flipped over to vBul instead, and about 5 months after that his ISP managed to absolutely trash his database, and he didn't have any backups. He hasn't quite recovered since, but it is pared down to about 6-8 subs with an astoundingly small subscriber base compared to what it used to be. Shame, it WAS a good resource, once upon a time.

In 3D land I've got 3 motorcycles, a jeep, a truck and two cars... all to myself... 3 dogs... 2 computers (laptop & desktop)... fly about 500-1000 hours a year on flight simulator, tinker in the shop and make my wage specializing in SAN/NAS storage systems, data protection and disaster recovery plans for IT... I reckon that sums it up... and some day... a bus conversion. :)

Oh, and about 10 yrs ago, I was actively working towards conversion of a 1964 VW Beetle and a 1970 VW Bus to full electric traction, but a horrible divorce ended those plans. Was doing it with a lot of email help from some very talented acquaintences, some of whom you probably know... by the names of John Wayland, Bill Dube', Otmar Ebenhoech and everyone else on the EV mailing list back then. :)