Minerva 2007

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Minerva 2007

Post by Sharkey »

Here's a new topic to post the goings-on at home this year.

First of all, BIG NEWS!!! I'm in the oil business:

One of my "spare time" projects for the last few weeks has been to begin disposing of the contents of the nine 55 gallon barrels of "mystery fluids" that the previous owners left behind.

So far, two were full of water with about 15 gallons of solidified tar at the top. Another had about 20 gallons of rusty water. One had about 4 gallons of old motor oil, while another holds about 20 gallons of oil and yet another 5 or 6 gallons more. One barrel has 13 gallons of new industrial propylene glycol anti freeze concentrate (saving that for solar installations), while another has 20 gallons of used anti freeze.

The worst one is an open-top barrel with about 40 gallons of beige latex paint in it. The rim is all rusted, and the paint looks gunky but possibly useable. Want to paint something?

The barrels in the photo above are old anti-freeze on the left, old oil on the right, and the one standing up behind the oil barrel is the latex paint. I'm decanting off the contents of these drums into 5 gallon buckets to be taken to be recycled at the dump.

As I get the barrels empty, I cut the ends off, then slit them lengthwise on each side to make a four-piece knockdown that can be tossed into the metal dumpster. My pneumatic shears make short work of barrel metal.

I also need to get an appointment with Lane County Solid Waste to dispose of the pickup load of old household chemicals that were left behind. Paint cans, mostly, but some stains, and aerosol cans of ??? There's also 8 or 10 five-gallon buckets of old oil and who knows what that I have to haul off also.

Fun and games. At some point, I'll eventually get done with cleaning up after the sellers, but it'll be a while!
peterb

MINERVA-

Post by peterb »

Hey Sharkey...dya' own a geiger counter ?

Does that rusty drum not say US ARMY - RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS on it ?

wasn't "minerva" a code word or something ...like "manhatten ?

I am surprised you stayed in Lane County, have you had "problems" there ?

peterB
peterB H8H-649-190
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

"Minerva" is actually the goddess of crafts and wisdom.

Yes, I did stay in Lane Co, although I was looking to shift over to Lincoln Co. No real problems here, just that I am fed up with the restrictive land use laws, the endless "public safety" bond measures and more than anything the self-employment tax to support the useless LTD bus district. Now they are talking about county income tax. Screw 'em. Another reason to drop out of the economy.

All of the nasty chemicals are gone, the dump even took the 40 gallons of old latex, although the workers who unloaded my truck were grumbling about the quantity and drilling me about commercial disposal. Screw them too. I had the supervisor's OK to bring it all in at once.

I'm in a fine mood tonight. First thing this morning, I had to chase the neighbors damn llamas out of my yard for about the 20th time. They've been over here for three weeks and he won't do anything to keep them in his pasture. They really run when you fire driveway gravel at them with a slingshot.

Next I opened the hood of my VW diesel Rabbit to check the mouse traps in the rain tray. Two weeks ago, I found that rodents had been building a nest using the under-hood insulation as material. The air for the heater was running past their nest and stinking up the interior of the car.

Well, this morning, no mice, but instead I came face-to-whiskers with a HUGE FREAKING RAT!!!! which had chewed big holes in the insulation and was nesting on top of the brake booster. I set three rat traps to take care of that problem.

I guess I'm also wound up because until yesterday the turds who bought my old property were 45 days late with a $14,000 interest payment. I had to hire a lawyer to harass them into paying. It came down to one day before I foreclosed before they coughed up the money.

Oh well, we just finished 6.5" of rain in two days. Supposed to be dry tomorrow, something to look forward to.
peterb

MINERVA-

Post by peterb »

Well, I am the "new kid" here, but, I must chuckle....

Lane county drove me nuts...so, I moved to then primitive Deschutes county, they...drove me nuts , so off to Jefferson...my rod shop business and race car stuff was not welcomed there-even though they have "both" tracks ??????
county rules are: liscensed, insured, and....under cover-no exceptions !
yea, try going to the reservation for a day and look around, "thats why we are "not" on the reservation , I was told. 50 bucks a day per vehicle... garage it or pay ! off to Crook county, where QUOTE " anything over ten years old is junk !" and must be removed ! (quote from crook county enforcement agent) so, off to Klamath county ! no problems here... great bunch ! moved the rod shop over with three race cars (no liscense plates or titles, or insurance), two busses (to make one), and five pre-1960 automobiles w/o plates/ins... no problem . I am bringing the buffalo over from Roseburg in acouple of weeks, we will see what happens with my yuppie -righteous neighbors...

llama is actually quite good meat, and smoked is excellent !
Rats are easy to deal with, and I personally do not kill them but run them off... man, once they start spraying things...good luck ! they hate dogs alot. just what you ned ! get the old property back ! hope things get better..... how much rain ? holy moly, we are leaving here for coos or curry county within 2 years in the buffalo to full time it...hope I can get used to that rain again, anyway with minerva being the god of crafts and wisdom, maybe a head shop with fortune telling would work ?

dry out the bus tomw, and sit behind the wheel, do the noises and run her through the gears, spend the night, you'll wake up full of wisdom and veery crafty on Sunday !

peterB
peterB H8H-649-190
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Ah, this was just a litle trickle. Last November we had 9" of rain in 36 hours. That's when the creek came up and washed all the gravel off of about 150' of my driveway and into the pasture. I still haven't gotten it all shoveled back on yet.

So What'e the super secret to driving off rats? No dogs here to do the job. This isn't the first encounter with vermin under the hood of this car. In October 2005, I went down to Winchester Bay to visit with my sister who was staying in the marina RV park for a few days. After visiting for most of the day, my car wouldn't start. It ~always~ starts, so something was wrong. Some kind of wharf rat/chipmunk/squirrel had gotten under the hood and chewed through all of the urethane fuel line from the fuel fiter to the injection pump, and the pump return line to the tank. It obviously was after the Biodiesel inside the lines. I managed to piece together enough of the scraps to get it running again and drove home well after dark.

Here's a section of the line. I stuck toothpick points into some of the holes:

peterb

minerva

Post by peterb »

Do you have a flute ?

Working boats most of my life I really have been exposed to a lot of (and different types of) RATS ... living in Crook Cpounty, We had Sage Rats and Rock chucks to contend with, Opossum are really a rat too !

Irregardless, one thing I do know is that poisoning them is the "wrong" thing to do...their death is horrible, and they usually/always crawl into a secure and hidden crevice to die-stinking up the joint with rotting corpse smells...and wall tear-outs, and fishing their carcasses out with tongs and hooks....definate professional European rat-killer 1200's stuff.

Rats are clean, but their acrid urine permeates wood and cloth and is practically non-removable, only replacement works. (mice are a different story of mine)
Rats, Deer, Raccoon, (and I am sure other things) are social animals...you only really find them in places where people are...so, music, sound, high/low frequency stuff does not work...they like it ! Cities can build up around their colony's they do not care-they like you, and your food source.

Heavy shipping lane adjacent shorelines land rats from passing vessels-they can swim for miles, once ashore, they set up a colony, and can do the roots and berries thing, or invade a farm or bus or house, or car, or barn, or whatever they view as a food source.

My thinking is that your colony of rats may have been there for years, or at least knew the previous owner of your house... your doing the clean-up is disturbing them, and they are now moving around....years of high rainfall floods them of their little rat homes as well, and a lack of predators (you, even armed with traps, guns, and poison...are "not" a predator !) makes them stay put...but, mobile (do they have little busses ?)

Removing their haunts (old buildings, animal dung piles, animal feed sources, trash/junk/debris/slash/etc is a good start, but like humans...if the house burns down you build right next to it another !

My "BIG" concern would be the house and bus !!!!! the bus and vehicles can be searched for signs if invasion, and nests, crap trails,damages, etc. the house is nearly impossible to examine (forget professionals and their poison) pretty much rats are nocturnal, so dark underhouse, insides of walls attics, etc are their lair.

Rats eat very little...and can live a month on a dropped raisen...so controlling a loss of food is only step one, they are not as prolific a breeder as mice, my history with them is to first lure them away from the things I want to protect put food in the woods.

A predator needs to be big enough to handle a viscous rat... which eliminates most cats many dogs are rat haters, some to the point of being criminally maligned and obsessive.... you need my neighbors Heeler .

With your setup, and contacts, I would have a spring time Rat party, spit roast a llama ... and invite only those who own proven aggressive rat killing/seeking special forces dogs...for a long day at the Minerva rattery.

in the mean time I would crawl under the bus and seal up with steel wool and tin any holes bigger than your thumb. save the bus-give them the house ! the house will be a very hard extricate !!! remember, they do not care much for meat, mostly fats, 'shrooms, roots, grains,

...the llama farm could be a good place to direct them to... a predator ! you need a predator.
especially one that kills for fun...(which takes us back to man or dog).

I dunno' if you ever spent time in florida with the billions of roaches and crawlies, or in the high desert where the cowboys killed off the coyotes, that used to eat the mice that now live there without a predator.... by the billions, but, you need a predator.

Sharkey's Alligator Farm llc; Minerva, Oregon sell alligator meat to restaraunts, eliminate the rats, ...you have a creek, why it would even keep hikers away ! when you park the bus in a lonely area-not to worry about robbers- the Sharkey's Alligator Farm sign will deter them.

no more stepping out of the hot tub late at night to pee though !

peterB
peterB H8H-649-190
peterb

Minerva

Post by peterb »

hey...
just diggin' through my anti-mouse Hunta files I found this !

http://www.metrokc.gov/Health/env_hlth/Rats.htm

good one !

peterB
peterB H8H-649-190
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm getting pretty "tired" of dealing with garbage around the yard.

One of the biggest and most difficult of the trash that the previous owners left behind is the giant loader tire. I had them move it from next to the garage where I parked my Housetruck to the far part of the yard before they took away the excavator that was here. The tire is 6 feet tall by 2 feet wide, and weighs about 2,000 pounds, so it isn't anything I wanted to have to deal with before moving in.

For the last week or so, I've been putting some time into getting it prepared to go away. The gravel pits in the big city will take the tire to dump into the pit before filling, but I had to bore twelve holes in the sidewalls and tread so that it couldn't trap air and float to the surface during flooding after it was buried.

Boring the holes was not trivial. I tried several techniques. Even just puncturing through the tire with a long drill bit was difficult. I tried a skilsaw (lots of smoke, very little cutting), a chain saw (chattering, smoke, little cutting) two different router bits (loads of smoke at normal speed, but slow, erratic cutting when slowed down with a speed control). About the only thing that seemed to cut reliably was a hole saw in my 1/2" drill motor.

I cut the first four holes in the top sidewall by drilling down as far as I could from the top, then getting inside the tire and drilling up from the bottom. The sidewalls turned out to be 2" thick, with 28 nylon plys. I had to cease drilling many times to immerse the hole saw in a bucket of water to prevent it from overheating.

The tread was next. Punching though it with a long drill showed it to be 3-1/2" inches thick, more than any of my hole saws can cut, even working from both sides. To make it more interesting, there was a ply of steel cable in the tread.

What I needed was a way to remove a "plug" of the tread to make it thinner so that I could plunge the hole saws in from each side and meet in the middle. This is where a lot of the experimentation with the routers came in. No good method revealed itself.

I finally got the idea of drilling in with the hole saw for a ways, then plunging the saw in at several different angles to undercut the plug formed from the straight cut. This worked! I was able to repeat the process a couple of times for each hole using a 2-3/8" saw. Once the plugs started coming out, the steel ply was easily cut, as there was a lot less drag on the hole saw from the surrounding rubber.

After I penetrated the steel ply, I switched over to a 1-7/8" hole saw. Frequent dips in the can of water kept the saw cooled and lubricated, and I was able to punch all the way though the tread from the outside.

None of this was ~easy~, but I took my time and did four holes over three days, giving the drill motor and my aching hands a chance to rest between sessions.

Today it was time to stand the tire upright and drill the sidewall that was facing down. I started by jacking the tire up on one side, working from inside the tire with blocks and timbers and a 4 ton hydraulic jack. Progress was slow, as I was jacking on the upper sidewall rim seat, and there was about 4" of flex in it before the bottom of the tire would start to raise.

Once I got the tire high enough off the ground, I switched to jacking from the outside, supporting my progress with cribbing and blocks. My goal was to get the tire partially upright so I could put timbers and chains on it to yard it into full standing position. Here's a photo of the setup just before I stopped for some coffee.

I knew that the tractor wouldn't have enough weight or traction to pull the tire all the way up, but it allowed me to tension the chains and get completely set up before bringing in the 4x4 for some serious pulling.

After swapping the tractor for the pickup truck, I was able to easily pull the tire erect with a single, simple forward motion:

Another few minutes with the drill and hole saws and I had the remaining four holes cut in the sidewall and the tire is ready to be loaded into my trailer for a one-way trip to somewhere else. (Rolling it up ramps into the trailer should be an interesting project. Watch for developments this weekend.)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The tire saga has drawn to an end.

Monday, I called the Lane County Solid Waste administration to find out that their web page is incorrect in stating that they take tires "up to 30" rim diameter", it's supposed to read "up to 30" tall" (outside diameter), so no, they wouldn't allow me to dump it at the dump. Too bad, too, as the fee stated on the web page was only $20. The supervisor I talked to helpfully suggested that I contact the gravel quarry...

Then I had another thought, why not contact the tire retailer/distributor in town and see if they would take it for a fee?

Yesterday, I had to go to town to get groceries, so I stopped into Les Schwab and asked about this. The manager had to fiddle around a bit with the computer to find the "giant tire" disposal rates, but he quoted me $70 to take it off my hands. I asked how much if he sent a truck to pick it up. Ended up that for the $70 plus the cost of a road service call, they would come get the tire using a large truck with a lift gate and hydraulic boom lift. "Let's do it!" was my reply.

So, about 10:30 this morning, Richard the road service tech and his truck showed up and we rolled the tire onto the lift gate, loaded into the bed of the truck and strapped it down.

Richard was a bit sheepish about the amount I was paying for this service, so I suggested that he could sweeten the deal by taking some or all of the 35 or so car tires that I have stacked up under the cedar tree behind the tire. He said "OK" so we loaded about 12 car tires into the truck as well. He probably would have taken them all, but the rest of the tires had wheels in them and he didn't want to have those.

Considering that if I had taken the tire to the quarry myself, it would have cost about $100 for disposal, plus 10 gallons of gas to cart it there, plus a day of my time to do it, plus any one of a number of horrible disasters that could have occurred (breaking the springs on my trailer, having the tire fall over while I was loading it and getting myself crushed, throwing my back out and getting a $48 chiropractor treatment, etc), I thought it was well worth it to just have it taken away.

So, Happy Solstice and Joyous Tire Removal! The last big piece of filth from the previous owners is gone!!! To celebrate, I took down about 200 feet of barb wire fence that was in that area, pulled up the rotten fence posts, and mowed the area flat.
Cele

Post by Cele »

I can't figure out how these people were able to leave so much crap and hazard on your property. The give Oregonians a bad name.

So how is your bear problem going?

Cele
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

Sharkey,
That is one big tire up here you could have been paid a handsome some for that tire, it would have fetched over $300 I have been told because they cost so much to make , some folk are getting them retread.

regards Mike
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh, the bear, well, that takes some explaining for the rest of the crew here, so here it is:

I posted last October about the bears getting into the apple tree and destroying the branches. Since then, I've seen a few clues that they were around but nothing conclusive. A paw print in the mud down by the creek, a suspicious hole dug in the far part of the yard, a pile of bear crap up on the road to the spring, nothing too close or too fresh.

Well, Sunday morning, I was out in the yard doing something and I heard a branch splinter in the trees at the west end of the property. This by itself isn't unusual, as I hear a tree fall almost every week. This particular tree breaking noise kind of went on too long, like the tree was falling very slowly. Also. my horse had stopped grazing and was staring intently in the direction of the noise. I decided to go have a look, and crept cautiously to the end of the clearing in front of the house, through some trees and into a second, smaller clearing. I looked up in a fir tree to see a stupid damned bear thirty feet in the air, busily gnawing a broken, peeled-down branch that it had obviously just snapped. Shit. Since I didn't have anything to add to the endearing scene, and because I don't have awesome powers of bear-frightening ability like Cele (who can make bears tremble and back away from their meals armed with nothing more than a flimsy stick) I simply walked away and went back to what I was doing, keeping a close watch on that part of the yard for a couple of hours afterwards.

OK, so one random encounter with a treed bear in ten months of being here. Big whoop. Well, the next day, about the same time of morning, I heard lots more breaking of branches, this time about a hundred feet to the south of the day before's sighting. This time, it would have required me to walk into the trees to get a look, which I wasn't about to do, so I did the next best thing and broke out the tractor and mower and mowed the grass in the area next to that part of the yard.

So far, no bruins have visited to complain about the noise.

Mike; welcome to the forum. I did check around about selling off that old hunk of rubber, but no one wanted it, guess we have a surplus of loader tires in this part of the state...
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Not all of the wildlife here is fearsome. For instance, a family of rabbits has taken up residence under the pallets in my wood shed. There is Dad Rabbit, who is the biggest and most mangy-looking, Ma Rabbit, and two bunnies, which were really tiny when I first started seeing them about a month and a half ago. Here's one of the bunnies looking cute:

They spend mornings and evenings eating in the grass in the patio area outside the kitchen window and front door of the Housetruck, so I frequently watch them while preparing meals or washing dishes. The bunnies have gotten accustomed to having me around and won't automatically run and hide when they see me. Everyone seems to enjoy taking dust baths in the loose sandy soil under the eves of the wood shed.

I'm pleased because if there are rabbits living in the wood shed, that probably means that rats aren't. I may feel differently if I put a garden in, but for now the lagomorphs don't seem to be bothering anything I care about.

A couple of weeks back, I was in the garage working on a weather station for my friend's beach house when I noticed a small commotion in the carport outside. I turned to see a small animal prowling around just outside the garage door, which was open. I was wearing my reading glasses, and couldn't fully focus on the creature, but my distinct impression was that of a small ferret. It scurried off before I could get a more positive identification.

Last weekend, I got a much better look at it, or I should say, them. They are either small ferrets, or minks of some sort, and they are full-on trying to run down a rabbit meal, even though they are smaller than even the baby bunnies. Having myself tangled with a free-range domestic bunny in the past, I can't imagine that these little weasels are up to the task of taking out an adult rabbit, they'd get the stuffing kicked out of them.

Anyway, the rabbits run like hell, and the ferrets chase them all over, actually cooperating on the hunt it seems.

Tonight when I went out to put my horse away, she seemed to be staring at something out in the far end of the yard. No wonder, only about 50 feet away was a large heard of antlered rats (elk). These guys are standing pretty much were the giant tire was until it was taken away.

I walked up to her to unclip her tie-out line and the elk didn't seem to much care. Of course, when I returned with my camera, they all decided to move along back into the far reaches of the yard.

While not really scary like bears, I do consider that these things are BIG, and probably could get agitated if cornered or threatened. As long as they stay away from the house, we'll get along well enough.
Cele

Antlered Rats

Post by Cele »

I'm loving it what a great picture of the elk, but when I commented to Jon he was more concerned whether there were racks - but I love the pictures and the dialogue..it's so Sparks.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

More necro-threads bumped to the top.

Haven't been posting progress reports too much, not because I haven't been doing anything, but I've been busy enough to not get around to it. Here's what's been going on for the last five months or so:

Where to start? Well, I did do a lot of plumbing, electrical, insulation, and drywall in the house, getting the kitchen walls put mostly back together. I think I mentioned some of this in my "A Red Letter Day" topic thread.

Once I had the garage side of the kitchen wall done, I began mounting one of the Bosch instantaneous LPG water heaters that I bought at the recycled building materials yard a couple of years back (got two of them for $25, both were repairable). I mounted the heater above the electric water heater, and plumbed the output of the electric heater into the input of the gas heater, with some bypass valves to allow water to circumvent the gas heater when it's not needed. The idea is to have an LPG backup heater for those times when the utility power fails during the wind storms we have in the winter. I bought 5" type "B" gas vent ducting and a roof jack, and punched the vent through the garage roof.

Sometime during summer, I installed an electrical circuit breaker sub-panel to supply power to the garage and my shop tools, and began some revisions to the wiring in the garage, and in particular, the carport. The previous owners had hacked up the wiring there, adding in outlets by stripping back the sheathing of the non-metallic cables, and simply wrapping new wires around the exposed conductors. A little black tape completed the job. I put in proper wiring boxes, connected ground wiring correctly, replaced undersized conductors, and distributed the power more equally across several circuits. Now I feel safer plugging loads into the outlets in the garage and carport. Before, it was shaky enough that I could see a fire being started by the shoddy connections.

The master bath, which I'm using now, has an opening window, but I found that it wasn't very effective at removing steam from the shower, so I purchased a vent fan and installed it in the ceiling, running it's output through a 4" roof vent designed for the purpose. This job called upon me to spend quite a lot of time in the far end of the attic, so I ran some spare 2x4 lumber along the rafters of the trusses to create a kind of "railroad" for me to shuffle along on, making the trip in and out much easier.

Once the fan was in, I started thinking about clammy cold winter weather, and bought a door for the bathroom. How modern! Last year I used a sheet of black plastic stapled to the door framing, as Prakash had tossed all of the doors in the house into the dumpsters.

After seeing the results of the bathroom door installation, I liked it so much I bought another one for the master bedroom, even though I only use it as a "dressing room". So far, the master bed and bath are the only rooms in the house that have been painted, as that's kind of the "Here's what it'll look like when I get done" part of the house.

Last winter, I had to tarp up the chimney, because the mortar cap was deteriorated, and was allowing water to seep down the brickwork, puddling up in the hearth. This contributed to the moldy scene inside the house, and resulted in some weird growing stuff coming out of the rock face of the fireplace.

This year, I wanted to be able to use the wood stove insert in the fireplace, so in late September, I got busy with the pneumatic chisel, pressure washer and wire brush, and removed the eroded and cracked mortar from the top of the chimney. It was a fairly easy half-day project to mix up a bag of mortar and build up a new cap. After 30 days of curing, I put multiple coats of waterproofing sealer on the cap, and painted it down the bricks on the sides of the chimney. Caulking was applied where appropriate. The end result seems to be doing a good job keeping the weather outside where it belongs:

Before the good weather got away completely, I installed two high quality glass skylights in the roof of the garage. Even during summer, the garage is dark inside, and I wanted to be able to see what I was doing without turning on lights. My shop at the old property had a large central skylight, so I was used to having a lot of natural light over my bench and table saw. Here's that project going forward:

In this photo, I'm just getting the second skylight in place, shoving it up through the hole sawed in the roofing. Behind the second skylight, you see the vent for the gas water heater, and all the way at the end of the roof, behind the 3" plumbing vent is the bathroom fan vent. All of these penetrations, and no leaks to show for my efforts. The previous owners had dozens of leaks around every vent. In fact, they did such a crappy job putting on the roof, that it leaks even where there are no vent jacks. I've spent many hours on the roof chasing down leaks, and have inserted a couple of hundred "tin shingles" (pieces of cut-down aluminum pop cans) to try and stop the water from coming in at all of the places where they made mistakes putting the shingles on. I just want this roof to last one more winter, so that the new roof can be applied after all of my skylights, vents, and other penetrations are installed. Makes sense to flash around existing construction rather than cut holes in a new roof and try to waterproof after the fact.

I put up lots of firewood this fall, I'm not going through another winter like last year, burning wet scraps and yard debris to keep warm. Had to purchase a new electric chainsaw, as my old one was worn out, and it was a cheap POS that couldn't be repaired. This time, I put out some $$$ for a Husqvarna, which is built like a proper power tool. Light weight, slim in profile, quiet, and best of all, no poisonous exhaust fumes from evil gasoline! I power it from a set of batteries and an inverter on the tractor. About the only drawback to electric is that I have to drag an extension cord around, and it gets tangled up in brush and limbs when I move around downed trees.

This is tuning into quite a missive...

Two days ago, I put some time into repairing the horse's pasture fence. Antlered Rats (Elk) had gotten into the pasture some months back and knocked down posts and broken fence wire while jumping in and out of the pasture. Trace has been so sick and lame that I didn't see much need to repair the fence, it was strong enough to keep her inside. Now that she's feeling better, I decided that I needed more security, so the bad posts were replaced, and some new barb wire strung along the top of the field fencing.

Yesterday, I finally did something about the big truck frame that the previous owners left in the yard. It was the first thing that you saw when driving into the yard, lying alongside the driveway. I used a jack and timber to raise one end, then slipped my tractor's utility trailer under, and secured it with clamps. I used the rear winch on the tractor to raise the other end, and towed the frame away, dumping it farther back on the property where it is out of the way until I either find a use for the steel, or cut it up for scrap. This frame is the second bookend to the giant tire, and now there is very little of the previous oakie's trash out in plain sight.

This evening, and each evening, before dinner, I work in the second bathroom, preparing the floor and getting ready to repair the drywall so I can paint in there (and put on a door!). That room always smelled like urine, even after Prakash tore out the vinyl flooring and a good part of the particle board underneath it. I finished the job, exposing the floor all the way down to the decking, and scraping off all of the encrusted tar paper. It smells less bad now, and I will give the decking a coat of Kilz sealer before replacing the underlayment and putting on new particle board. When done, I'll have three rooms to show as an example of the house's finished appearance.

That's it for now. I have a new winter project that keeps me busy at night after dinner, but I'll start a new thread about that in a day or two.