Just What I Needed....

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Just What I Needed....

Post by Sharkey »

....Another Project!

Spent some time on eBay last week and made a purchase I have been watching for for a long time:

A Mitsubishi 4D56 2.5 liter turbo diesel engine, which, with parts from this:

1987 Ford Ranger turbo diesel (from the factory!), is going into this:

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 (gas powered from the factory).

I know, lots of work, engine swap, wiring changes, fuel system revisions, etc., but I am seriously over gasoline power and want a small pickup that will run on Biodiesel, and my 4x4 is in excellent shape (other than the engine, which is tired and has a slowly worsening rod knock).

The diesel Rangers are rare to begin with, but the 1987 model year is ~very~ rare. I purchased the red truck for $100 from a Country Fair associate, who had parked it due to a blown turbo and leaky head gasket. I bought it a couple of years ago, put a used wrecking yard turbo on it and drove it the rest of the summer. Whatever was wrong with the head gasket really let go that October, as the engine would overheat within a couple of miles of coming up to temperature. There always was oil in the water and water in the oil, so I knew the engine had significant problems.

Checking around, the 4D55 engine (which came in the red truck from the factory) is very difficult to get parts for, as few of them were imported into the US. Some diesel Dodge P-up's used them, and a couple of years of limited production in the Rangers and that's about it. In the rest of the world they are a very common power plant, and mostly have been supplanted by the 4D56, a slightly larger displacement engine of the same configuration. The two engines share common parts and are interchangeable.

This particular engine was purchased from a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) reseller, and came out of a 4x4 vehicle with 40-60,000 miles on it. There is little or no market in Japan for used vehicle parts, and cars we would scramble to buy used over here are regularly chopped to pieces and the drive trains shipped to other markets for resale.

Some time this fall or winter, I'll tear down the red Ranger, pull the engine and partially disassemble it. The new engine has some different flanges and mounting plates, and the entire front cover of the engine has to be swapped in from the old 4D55 so that the power steering pump, alternator, and vacuum pump can be mounted. I'll also change over the oil pan to make sure all the clearances under the engine are OK.

After I get the two engines melded into one, then the real fun begins, tearing my faithful old Ford down, and swapping the electrical, fuel, power steering and cooling system components over from the red Ranger. Having a diesel donor vehicle is the only way I would attempt this kind of a swap, all of the plumbing, wiring, brackets, mounts, etc are all there and will easily unbolt from one and bolt into the other. The only thing I don't know for sure is the transmission compatibility. The red Ranger is 2x4 and uses a Mazda transmission. My 4x4 has to keep the Mitsubishi transmission and transfer case, which may (or may not) be a bolt-up to the Mitsubishi 4D55 bell housing. No one I've asked so far knows if the bolt pattern and transmission input shaft are the same between the two transmissions.

One way or the other, it won't be a boring wet and cold season for me.
Phil Feinstein

Post by Phil Feinstein »

I guess saying that a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum plate makes a great adapter isn't much consolation if the tranny doesn't fit :oops:

That motor looks like a beaut. The motor mounts made for the twin-plug inline 4 motor for the ranger shouldn't need much in the way of mods to make that motor work, but then again, I don't know the condition of the motor mounts in the '87 diesel. BTW, you talk about rare; I've worked at Ford dealers for close to 10 years and I've NEVER seen a diesel truck outside of a full-size van or F series. I remember the Mitsu diesel trucks, but all the Mazda diesels I came across were cars.

Sounds like fun. I'm jealous already :D
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The Ranger was available with the diesel engine option from 1983-1987

The '83 & '84 engines were a naturally aspirated design by Perkins built by Mazda. It had 59 horsepower and 90 foot-pounds of torque.

Understandably, they were found to be woefully underpowered.

In 1985, the Mitsu 4D55 TD engine was introduced, with 72hp @ 134 ft.lbs torque. Even as tired as the red Ranger was, I considered it's performance to be about equal to the 2.3 liter gas engine in my 4x4 (90hp), but with a much more useable torque band at lower RPM's. And this was with factory specs, I didn't do any performance tuning on the old engine. Add an intercooler, larger exhaust, advance the timing a bit and increase the fueling and you'd have a very willing power plant.

The 4D56 is 2.5 liter comes in at 83hp from the factory. My research shows that it's possible to bump this up to about 130hp with some careful tuning and bolt-on modifications.

I suppose just getting it installed in the engine bay and driving the truck forward should be my first goal...

I'm going to use the mounts from the diesel, unless they are shredded. Oddly enough, parts for the Ranger adaptation of the 4D55 seem to be available, you have to prod the part counter guys to look it up, but I've been able to find everything I needed so far.

I actually had someone offer me a twin plug Ranger with a bad rod bearing for $80, and I walked away because it wasn't a diesel. My gas engine is the single plug model, and while not overpowered, it's served me pretty well.

If the transmission doesn't bolt up, I guess it's adapter plate time. That would really complicate things. I know that they made the diesel Rangers with this engine in a 4x4 model, and as far as I can tell most, if not all of the 4x4's use the Mitsu trans, so what's the possibility that a Mitsu trans isn't going to bolt to the bell housing of a Mitsu engine?

Hey, Phil, if you work at a Ford dealership, can you ask around and see if the Mazda and Mitsu 5 speed trans have the same bell housing bolt pattern? Someone must know this...
Tim Clevenger

Diesel Ranger

Post by Tim Clevenger »

Time to start a new forum, Sharkey! I'd love to keep up with the progress on this conversion.

I loved my '86 Ranger (2.3L, 25 mpg!), but I've had no luck finding a diesel Ranger, and I'd really like to find a small diesel pickup. I don't suppose anybody knows if there are any other diesel models in the wild in the US, or a small pickup that makes a diesel swap easy?
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Tim, good hearing from you, it's been a while. A Diesel Swap forum? Well, maybe, if there was interest in it. I hope the conversion is short and boring, and not an all-year affair like some of my other projects.

There are some small diesel pickups, but now days, the availability is low and the prices high. Two years ago, when I was helping out SeQuential by pumping retail Biodiesel two days a week (I would leave a $45/hour job to go be a fuel jockey for $0.10 a gallon, go figure), there were several customers with diesel Toyotas, Isuzus, Nissans, and of course, VW Caddys. A couple of the small trucks were gas-to-diesel swaps, the one I remember was a Toyota, the owner said it was a fairly easy conversion, but not knowing Toyotas, I have no idea what engine he used.

The Mitsu engine I bought is a good platform to use for a swap into nearly any small truck. It's completely mechanical (no ECU or electronics on the injection pump), and is ubiquitous in the rest of the world, meaning that parts are obtainable. Depending on one's fabrication skills, the most difficult part would be motor mounts. The fiddly bits could take a while, throttle cable, clutch throwout (if manual trans), some method of supplying timed glow plug power, etc, but nothing that would kill the project. Might have to have a custom driveshaft made to adapt to whatever trans you ended up with.

I had my eye on a couple of other eBay engines, a 4D56-T (turbo) and one that was a high output version with a built-in intercooler. Both came out of Pajeros (Montero here in the US), and came complete with an automatic transmission and transfer case for 4x4. The prices were steep, $2,699 and $2,799 respectively. I passed on both, partly due to price, and also because the photos of the engines seemed to show that they were damaged during removal. The 4D56-T looked like it had been lifted by the injector lines. Checking around, I found that the auto transmission required a computer to operate correctly, so it was of no use to me.

(The 4D56-T is still for sale, but closes in a few hours. It has been relisted repeatedly)

One Pajero forum that I registered with had a number of posts indicating that members had purchased their vehicles from an importer that brought them in from Japan. I've also heard of people here in the states purchasing Delicas (small diesel Mitsu van) in a similar fashion. Of course, they'd be right hand drive, but that's actually fun! Here's a blog entry by Lloyd Kahn on the subject, scroll down to "Random Pics", just below "Marvin Gaye". Also check out the importers in Victoria, B.C.

Anyway, I spent the day putting fiberglass insulating in the kitchen of the house, so I'm tired, hungry, and itchy. More later...
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

After checking the transmission in the red truck more carefully, and some consulting with the knowledgable members at the Ranger Station forums, it looks like the transmission is actually not a Mazda, but was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (a division of Toyota if I remember correctly), and is a bolt-up match for the Mitsubishi transmission that is in my 4x4. One more unknown off the list.

While I was under the red truck, I got a better look at the motor mounts, and then compared the mounting points on the new engine. It kind of looks like the new block doesn't have cast-in bolt holes in the same places as the old engine. I was hoping to not have to fabricate a lot of custom hardware, but if it's necessary, I have the skills and tools.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Any progress so far?
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

In regards to diesel powered vehicles, there are quite a few of them out there. The challenge is prying them loose from their owners for a reasonable price.

Toyota imported a lot of pick-ups with a diesel engine in the early '80's. Very few were 4X4.

The Isuzu/Chevy LUV came with a diesel option. Again very few were 4X4.

IHC put the Nissan SD33 and SD33T in their ScoutII/Traverler/Terra line for about five years. Most were 4X4.

Mitsubishi, Mazda, and Nissan imported a few diesel pick-ups but most of their diesel powered offerings were cars.

VW imported a lot of diesel cars and a few diesel pick-ups and diesel Vanagans. I have never seen a diesel powered VW 4X4.

If you really are wanting a nice diesel powered truck and don't want to spend a lot of $$$, the little Isuzu and Mitsubishi (Hino and UD are available as well but not as common) tilt cab 1-tons are available. Prices are usually a fraction of what you would pay for a diesel powered Ford, Dodge, or GM. Since most were put into commercial use they have been used hard. But they will take a beating and still have a lot of life left in them. Some of the Mitsubishi Fuso trucks were 4X4. Some even came with crew cabs and pick-up boxes.

The best part of owning the little tilt cab 1-tons is they will carry quite a bit of a load while using very little fuel. Plus they will turn on a dime and give you change back.

A friend of mine has an Isuzu with a Chevy badge on it. He mounted a roll back bed on it in order to haul equipment around. He routinely gets in excess of 25 MPG.

The only downside is the cabs are not built for really big guys. If you can fit into a Toyota or Nissan pick-up you can fit into a tilt cab. If you aren't size challenged then you may find the tilt cab a little on the small side for you.

Just some food for thought.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
lemmiwinks

Post by lemmiwinks »

Bring back the electric Rabbit!!

:wink:
Johnny Jab

Re: Just What I Needed....

Post by Johnny Jab »

I like the Mitsubishi 4D56. Actually I am attempting to mod an old Mitsu this Christmas. I was inspired by this project when I read it last month.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Johnny, welcome to the forum. Did you register as a member recently?
Johnny Jab

Post by Johnny Jab »

Not really man. I am just secretly reading your threads here. Out of excitement I just came out of the blue & stated my feeling about this awesome post.
Hontad

4D56 Engine

Post by Hontad »

Hi guys, am new to this forum. you guys could be of some help. I have a pajero 4D56 engine type that has issues with oil leaks. its diesel consumption is unbelievably high, 1/4 full tank that used to last 3-4 days driving to and from work now empties in a single day! but again the car now emitting smoke like a chimney, so this could mean fuel is not being burnt. engine rpm encountering difficulty doing above 2.5K, acceleration is dragging and gear shift moves rapidly from 1-5 in just below 60kph. i am becoming increasingly frustrated. are these signs that engine needs an overhaul? - HTN posting from Kenya
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hontad- check your fuel filter, to make sure it is not plugged! Or it could be that your injection pump is getting tired, or your fuel injecters are getting worn. The engine could still be good, but you will want to check those three items also!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm going to make an educated guess and say that the injection pump timing has been disturbed. These engines run a Japanese knock-off of the Bosch VE injection pump, which is belt-driven from the crankshaft. All it takes is a pebble getting in between the sprocket and the timing belt and you have a pump that injects fuel at the wrong time, resulting in smoke, lack of power and likely hard starting. Of course there are many other things that can cause similar symptoms, but I'd start the diagnostic trouble shooting by checking the camshaft and injection pump timing.

The belt replacement schedule is something like 100,000 km, so if you are anywhere close to that on the present belt, it's time to change it anyway.

There is a very useful and informative Pajero forum in Great Britain, http://www.pocuk.com/forums/ they are a bit stodgy until you get a few posts under your belt after registering, but the posts archive and technical archives are very valuable in learning more about these vehicles.