Haven't been around much...

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Haven't been around much...

Post by Sharkey »

Sorry for not being more responsive to posts here for a bit. I'm suffering some problems here at home, my very old horse has come up profoundly lame over the last two weeks, and a lot of my emotion and energy has gone into trying to cure her and keep her comfortable.

The vet recognizes that she has laminitis (inflamation of the tissues of the hoof), but we don't know what's causing it. Pain medication has been of little help, although a shot of morphine would go a long ways toward making me feel better. Horses that can't walk are as good as dead. I have no family locally, and after having her for 24 years, we've become rather attached.

Today is the first day I've seen any indication of improvement, so my mood is a bit better, and I'm really hoping for more days of encouraging signs.

I just didn't want you to think I had any lame excuses for ignoring the forum.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Family first (and I consider "pets" as family), forums later! Here's hoping to hear more good news about your old friend soon!
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Lame excuse?!

PLEASE!!!

I hope you and your horse get to feeling better real soon. Laminitis can be really bad.

Have you tried letting her stand in the stream to keep her feet cool?

Just a thought.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, so a second day of incremental improvement. Trace (the horse) is laying down much less, and spending more time on her feet, although she is still 100% crippled. I started her walking back towards the corral after an afternoon of wandering loose in the yard, and it took almost 15 minutes to get her to move about 60 feet. She is obviously in excruciating pain from her right rear foot when she walks.

Tomorrow I'll call the vet and report my observances, and get his opinion on the dosage of the pain medication I'm giving her. I think recovery is going to take a very long time, but at this point, I see progress rather than a slow spiral downwards, which is a big relief, it's no longer a death watch.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey Sharkey!

How are you and Trace doing? I hope the laminitis has cleared up.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Thanks for your concern. It has been a very slow and difficult process, and only now am I beginning to see a return to something like normal life. Trace is still taking a powerful anti-inflammatory drug, and has nearly recovered a natural gait when walking. She has a huge swelling on her chest, which the vet has yet to look at (he's in Central Oregon until Sunday). I actually managed to get her to trot a few steps yesterday, and her personality is returning, along with familiar behavior which has been absent for three weeks now. She lays down only infrequently, and I've been turning her loose in the yard each afternoon to walk around and eat grass, whcih is a good way to give her some minimal exercise while she recovers.

The vets thinks she has Cushing's disease, which is a problem with the pituitary gland, and causes laminitis and other problems at the change of the seasons. We may start treating her for Cushing's as a preventitive if her progress continues to improve.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

So Sharkey, how are you and Trace doing? Is it Cushing's as the vet suspected? I hope everything is getting better!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Trace continues to improve gradually, but she is still experiencing some pain. I tried withholding her pain medication about a week and a half ago after the vet told me that I was giving her such a little dose that he doubted that it was doing anything. Wrong, within two days she couldn’t walk again. Back on the Banamine.

I’ve decided that the vet is right, she has Cushing’s Disease. He thought so from the beginning (the test is expensive and involves multiple service calls), but I wasn’t convinced, as there is a whole litany of symptoms, and she is only exhibiting one, spontaneous and unexplained laminitis.

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been trying to decide if I was seeing other symptoms, but now I’m fairly certain I see the characteristic curly hair symptom in her new winter coat coming in. I had thought that the deformed hairs I was seeing in her legs and sides were from laying down so much, but now I’ve seeing the overall pattern, and it’s in places that don’t get laid upon, like the middle of her back.

Here’s an image of a horse with Cushing’s Disease. This is not Trace, but an image from a Cushing’s Disease web page:

I used to have Guinea Pigs that had hair patterns like this.

Anyway, the complications of Cushing’s generally come around in Spring and Fall, when the animal’s pituitary is making large changes in the body, grow a winter coat and store up fat, shed that winter coat, make babies, etc. I need to check with the vet and see if we need to treat her beginning now, or if the symptoms will subside until Spring, at which time we should initiate treatment before the symptoms begin again.

The treatment is simple daily medication, although the pharmaceutical is not inexpensive. Apparently, horses with Cushing’s can lead a fairly normal life, although monitoring their hooves, diet, parasites, and housing is critical.

The swelling on her chest is a large abscess, a hematoma, which the vet thinks is the result of her being attacked by an antlered rat (sorry, elk). I think he’s full of crap, but I suppose anything’s possible. It seems to be softening and getting smaller, or else I’m just getting more used to it. The vet came and stuck a big needle into it to drain it last week, and the liquid that came out was blood and serum, not pus, meaning that it’s not infected. Not sure what other treatment will be required, possibly surgery to remove it if it gets infected.

Also a mystery is that during his first visit the vet listened to her heart and stated that she had heart disease because the pace of her heart beating was arrhythmic, that is, uneven rather than steady. Last week, upon listening again, he noted no such problem. This is a relief, if only because I won’t have to spend all my spare time building a pacemaker to implant.

That’s the veterinary report. I’ve been going through two weeks of anxiety partly as a result of the six weeks of stress with Trace’s illness, and also because I filed a six month extension on my income tax return for 2006, which expires Monday. I’ve been working with my accountant for those two weeks, but have been filled with mortal dread because I have to file on the Capital Gains from selling my property last year. I may potentially have to pay as much as $50,000 on that, and I have to tell you, sending money to a government that I neither believe in nor want to support financially is really freaking me out. Buying Bush bombs and bullets to send to Baghdad is against every principle that I was brought up to respect. If I didn’t think it would cause me even greater anxiety, I’d say “stuff itâ€
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Glad to hear Trace is on the up & up! Hopefully all will be well in the end. :) Sorry to hear about the taxes, though. :cry:

[rant] I never did really understand that stuff anyway. I mean, I bought it, I paid taxes on it when I bought it, why must I continue to pay taxes on it!?! If you (the government) want money out of my earnings / profits, you can WORK for it the same way I did! Big Brother didn't ask ME if I wanted the money he squeezed out of me to be used to bomb other countries! :x I DON'T support the war, but I DO SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! *waves flag* (I just had a good friend come back safe & sound from his FIFTH and final tour before he retires! *throws ticker tape*) [/rant]
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The tax hit was about as bad as I expected. I sent $20,000 to the IRS and $14,000 to the state. This is the first installment. The next round happens after I get a balloon payment from my buyers next year. April 2008 will see me unloading the bank account for another $20,000 or so.

I wouldn't mind so much if I had faith in the government and thought that they were actually doing something good with my tax dollars, but by all accounts, politicians are all slimy scumbags, and once elected (or appointed) to office, make sure that their contributors and lobbyists are well taken care of and that the the flow of ready cash from the "little guys" continues to enrich their wealthiest corporate sponsors.

As it is, I'll be out a total of around $55,000, and will have to either learn to live on less (I'm trying to live off the investment interest income from the sale of my property), or continue to work to make ends meet. Turns my stomach to think of what I could do around here with that kind of money in my hands instead of theirs.

Best way to support the troops is to bring them home, NOW!
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Boy I hear you loud and clear! And every time you turn around someone in "authority" is trying to screw you out of a few more $$$.

For those of you who use tobacco products in OR I will be feeling your pain if the latest tax boondoggle ballot measure passes. Which it most probably will because it is "for the children" after all.

And for those of you who own property in OR, get ready for someone you don't know in Salem deciding how you will be able to use your property.

You would think that if you use your own $$$ to purchase your own property and pay the taxes that are levied every year you would be able to do what you wanted with your property. But if the latest land use policy ballot measure passes not only will you not be able to use your property the way in which you want but you will not be eligible for compensation for the loss of that use.

Give me a break!

I think I am old enough and smart enough to take care of myself and my family. I certainly do not need some bureaucrat in WA D.C. or Olympia holding me by the hand. And I certainly do not feel any need to pay someone to do that for me. But at the rate of growth in government employees there will soon be more of them than anyone else working.

Again, give me a break!

But unless something signifcant changes our government by the people and for the people will become the government by the bureaucrats for the bureaucrats paid for by someone else.

And guess who the bureaucrats have decided who all of those someone else's are going to be?

Most certainly, give me a break!

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I guess this old thread could be renamed "Tears of Joy" tonight.

Trace has shown steady improvement since the last postings, the half-a-football sized abscess on her chest has shrunken to almost gone, and her rear legs/hoof problems have faded away. Her hair is all squirrelly, showing that Cushing's is present. She was doing pretty well until just before Thanksgiving, when her right front leg began to hurt her, and she began limping around again, although not as sick overall as before.

Two days ago, I thought that she seemed to be walking better, so I took the chance and trimmed her hooves. Trimming a lame horse's hooves is difficult, as they have to put all their weight on the ones you aren't holding up, working on. After trimming, I thought her gait was better.

This evening, when I put her away for the night after being out eating grass, she seemed to be moving faster, so I teased her with the bowl of grain, and got her to trot to the end of her pasture and back, the first time she's done much more than hobble in over three months.

Anyhow, I had gotten used to the thought that I was going to have an old, lame mare who would slowly deteriorate until some not-to-distant end, and had adjusted myself to that reality. What I saw tonight gives me hope that there may be the possibility of a less limited recovery than I expected.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Wonderful news, Sharkey, I hope the upswing gains momentum!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The carousel of horse health goes round and round, and the ponies go up and down.

Last Tuesday, Trace seemed to be feeling pretty good, she even galloped across the yard without being provoked.

Wednesday morning, she didn't have much enthusiasm for eating. At dinner, she left food in her bowl.

Thursday, she didn't eat even half of what she normally would, but was interested in grazing on grass.

Friday afternoon, I noticed that she was trembling, although not from being cold, so I took her temperature.

104.4, and a frantic call to the vet. Normal for a healthy horse is 99.

Vet came, drew a blood sample, checked her over thoroughly, and told me he’d have lab results Saturday. While he was there, his wife, who is a farrier, offered to trim her hooves. I don't really like doing this myself, as it wrecks my back and I always am phobic about cutting off too much hoof and using the hoof knife on the frog and roof of her hoof.

On one of the back hooves, Dawn found an abscessed place that was filled with black rotted material. When she dug it out, it was stinky and rank.

Saturday morning, her temperature was down to 101.5. The lab results came back more or less normal, a little anemic, some indications of possible muscle damage, but no signs of bacterial or viral infection. By afternoon, her temperature was down to 98.7, normal, in effect.

Neither the vet nor I have any clue what this latest episode was caused by, but she seems to be walking and feeling better than she has in the last six months. The vet isn't absolutely sure she has Cushings, so we’re going to wait until spring to treat for that.

About all I can see is that she might have been carrying this abscess in her hoof all this time and it has finally grown out. The vet isn't convinced that this could cause the fever, but for lack of a better excuse, I'll take it and hope that I've seen the end of these troubles.