I'm outa' here, Again

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Jerry Campbell

I'm outa' here, Again

Post by Jerry Campbell »

It is 22 deg now and everything is white with frost. To me that means face to the south and run like the wind.
Sorry I didn't get down to visit this year. Next Year.
I've been very busy trying to squeeze more out of less.
We got a little more done on the bus,
10 gal hot water heater, gas, electric, heat exchanger
.1 micron water filter
Sink and faucets
finished plumbing water and propane
built base cabinets and drawers ( I have a beautiful slab of quilted maple for the counter top but that has to wait till next year)
Built a storage box in the spare tire compartment.
put in buss bars for pos and neg and a 600 amp battery switch and added an outside 50 amp plug for the wind generator.

Tuesday I have an appointment at Southern Oregon Diesel in Roseburg for my annual maintenance/inspection. We'll be heading south from there.
Tommorrow I'll be unplugging so adios and I hope you have a wonderful winter.
Jerry
http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hey Jerry. I was just asking Sharon a little while back if she had heard from you and if you had hauled out of here for warmer climes.

Maybe one day after I no longer have livestock to care for, I'll crank up my coach and follow you. I could get into not freezing my ass off in winter for a change. One reason I moved to the coast was to escape those hard Valley freezes. It's better here, less solidly cold, and thaws better during the day, but it's not tropical, by any means.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

We are in Gila Bend Az, for the night on our way to Bisbee, Az then south from there. We went to Slab City for a few days to check it out. Everyone we met were great from people living under tarps to people in motorhomes worth hundreds of thousand. I could feel the freedom (lack of government) when I stepped out the door of the bus. Very nice. We went down to Algodones, Mexico to get some new glasses one day. Two pairs of bifocals and two pairs of trifocals sun glasses and clear and one exam for $160. WOW.

It's warm in the day here and cool at night. The bus is doing wonderful. Put her on 60 and just about go to sleep. Comfort crusin'. Can't wait for some of that cheap Mexican fuel.

The winter goes so fast no one will miss you, come on.
See Ya
Jerry
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Happy New Years eve.

Hope Trace is still on the getting better side of things.
All is well here. We're waiting for the Mexicans to go home from the holidays so we can clean the place up and go back to quiet again. La Nina has the water cooler than normal, other than that things are pretty much normal here. Our new pad is just about like the old one. A few improvements every year.
Avocados are cheap and plentyful, the fruit is good, there's fish in the freezer.
see ya later.
Jerry

http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com/12_31_07.JPG
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

ooops

I forgot about the link thing being screwed up with my server.
Right click on the link and choose copy shortcut and paste it
into the address bar and hit enter.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Solar on the roof

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Jerry

How many watts are those PV panels on the roof of your crown? Are they working pretty good mounted flat like that? I have 10 Sharp 170 watt panels that I want to use on my 4905 buffalo but i'm trying to work it out so they can be raised electrically or something like that, but I haven't come up with anything yet. Im wondering if It's worth it. I want to drag as much power out of them as I can but if the lose is at a minimum then maybe it's no big deal.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Hi Dennis,
1580 Watts. They work great. In the winter with the sun down in the sky my batteries, 1580 amps, are at 100% at about 1:00.
This is the first year I've had all the appliances in except the washer/dryer ( next year ) and it seems to be working out well.
I thought about fancy mounting quite a bit but never came up with a decent plan, so I decided just to fill the top with panels and live with it. The panels can be tilted up on either side but I never have. When I have to stop cruising I'll take them off and get a tracker and park in the shade. That reminds me , don't forget the Bus-Kote for the roof.
My advice is to mount them on top and live with them. Then you'll know.

We have
Power tools
10 CF 110 volt Fridge
coffee maker
vacuum cleaner
bread machine
electric bread knife
juicer
toaster
desktop computer
satellite internet
ham radios
etc. etc.
A 30 amp circuit seems to be plenty. My inverter runs things much faster and better than any outside power I've had.
see ya
Jerry
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry, in case you need a reminder why you are there instead of here:

Four inches of wet snow Saturday night and Sunday morning, with another inch of ice pellets and snow Sunday night. Currently, it's 33 degrees and raining, and there are storm warnings posted for 75 MPH winds along the coast tonight.

Highway 126 is closed a few miles east of the tunnel due to a massive landslide, and highway 36 has just reopened after the crews cleared 23 miles of downed trees.

The good news is that the power was only off for six hours yesterday (didn't affect me at all), and the low temperatures are just under freezing, so I haven't had any plumbing issues to deal with, aside from the spring getting slow and silty. I'll have to wait until the snow melts to go up the hill and clear out the catch basin to get that set right.

And all you have to complain about is that the water in the bay is a bit chilly for your liking....???
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Are you sure? That looks like the same picture you showed me last year.

I was wondering about you. The news from Summit is 37 days of rain or snow and wind. How are you doing in this cold with your neck screwed up? Should I send someone to check on you?

The weather here is trying to drift back to normal. 85 and sunny or just a few high clouds every day. We've been swimming the last couple of days. The whales are jumping and the dolphins showed up a couple of days ago.

I brought down the pieces and built an aeroponic growing system on a friends roof to grow veggies. The prototype is working well, things (tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce) are starting to pop up and scream for the sky. I'm trying to design a system that will work here and hopefully using only solar for power. We'll see what kind of problems we encounter in this land of all kinds of bacteria, fungus, larve, etc. The idea is to get away from the dirt where most of them live. It's impossible to grow food in the ground here without mucho chemicals. We shall see.

Peace
Jerry
Eating enough Shrimp and drinking enough beer.