Domainatating for Ten Years, Time for ZEN!

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Last night, I worked on the menu image problem some more. I found a very simple solution that allowed the icons to appear in IE5. Then I fired up my laptop and looked at the site in IE7. The solution doesn't work there, although I was pleased to find that a page alignment problem that affected the entire site in IE5 was corrected in IE7.

Decided to google around and see if there was a CSS trick that I hadn't tried and found entire domains dedicated to the crappy CSS performance of MSIE. The developers of IE apparently know what a failure the product is and have even thrown in a few ways to patch around some of the problems. One way is called "Glitch Mode", which is triggered by the <!doctype header at the top of every page. The other is a switch in the META tags that loads a stylesheet especially tailored to IE.

Anyway, I'll try a few more things before giving up. I did edit the code to a more radical approach that semi-worked in IE6, but I didn't try it in IE7. Since 30% of the viewers of my site use IE7, and only 1% use IE5, if I find a solution to this problem that works in IE7, I'll call it fixed. Someone here may have to do some viewing in IE6, I don't have it loaded on any of my machines. 11% of my viewers still use that.

The good/?bad news is that 20-25% of the page views on the site are through Firefox. It's good news because those people aren't using IE in any form, and possibly bad news because I don't know what FF is doing to my code. Probably time for me to download it and use it just for development research. I'm a quite satisfied Opera user.

Oh, and while the window is open, I failed to disallow search bots on the forum at the new site, and now google has listed a couple of hundred pages on the forum. I've always disallowed robots on the forum because I didn't want the attention from script kiddies that having a phpBB installation poses. Hopefully, they aren[t interested in messing with small cookies like us, -but- things might get interesting after I open up the new site and allow the forum to be listed in directories and search engines. Fasten your seat belt after that, it may be a bumpy ride, and in any case, we will probably have a lot of new friends to play with.
AccordGuy

Post by AccordGuy »

Hi dude.

I had a quick look at the new site and it all worked ok up until I got to the "Modifications to EV Rabbit" page where the formatting went haywire from the photo of your Eagle alloys onwards. The text under the alloys photo overlaps itself and later the pictures start to overlap text and each other.

Scanning down the site the same happens on these pages:

EV Pusher Archive 1 - overlapping first two photos
EV Pusher Archive 2 - overlapping photos near "Feb 26." a para after your HD blew.
The Bus Barn > Housetruck - very quickly descends into a layout mess.

A style note... lots of the pages are now a light grey / white colour (like the nav column) but the Crown pages on the Bus Barn are a jarring yellow colour. Some work on harmonising the page backgrounds to the nav column / surround colour scheme.

Gotta take a bath now so I haven't check more pages. I'm a kinda retro-tech guy so I rather liked the Windows NT look... Vista sucks! I still use a green fluorescent Sharp pocket calculator at work because it's cool. It doesn't even have a memory (which is a problem as neither do I :D ).

I'm using Firefox 3.0.5