Internet from Outer Space

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Internet from Outer Space

Post by Sharkey »

Finally, after two and a half years of dialup internet service, I have a fast(er) connection!

Around the beginning of the year, the neighbors across the road decided that they had had enough of the World Wide Wait and signed up for Hughes.net satellite service. The first attempt by the installer didn't work out (he forgot a lot of important parts), and I was busy having troubles of my own at that time. Eventually in early February, the earth station was installed and Tim and Sharon began enjoying the benefits of faster downloads, streaming audio and video. There was some talk at the time of me joining in, but I stayed busy with work and we didn't talk about it again. I also decided that since the service came with a bandwidth limit each month, I would let them explore the hard end of that limit without my help.

Here's where the bits come down from the sky over at their house:

Last month we got together for dinner one night and they offered to let me sip some of the bandwidth available on the system. It took me a few weeks to get my 802.11b gear set up and ready to install, but last Thursday, I made the installation on their house, and threw together some gear over here to receive the signal.

The installation on the side of their house:

The 3" cylindrical tube is an enclosed 14.5 db yagi antenna tuned to 2.4 GHz. It's connected via coaxial cable to a Breezenet radio mounted in the plastic box. A CAT5e cable carries the TCP/IP bits back and forth to/from the satellite radio, and the spare pairs are used to carry 5 volts DC to power the radio. There is a #10 ground wire for lightning protection.

Over here, I hauled out one of my homemade dish antennas and placed it on the roof using a non-penetrating mount held down with cinder blocks. It's pointing through a clearing in the trees, aimed at Tim and Sharon's house:

For now, the radio is tucked up under the eaves with cables strung haphazardly here and there. I did crawl through the entire length of the attic yesterday to pull a CAT5e cable to connect the radio to the computer in the Housetruck. This afternoon, I began working on an enclosure for the radio and associated equipment.

The IP service is OK, it's faster than dialup for web surfing. Not nearly as fast as DSL or cable, but better than two modems and two phone lies bundled. There is a latency between the time you click something and the arrival of the page/image/etc, about 8 seconds or so. You get used to it pretty fast.

The downside is that FTP (transferring files to/from my web site) and SSH terminal sessions (virtual terminal into the server for command-line interface) is way ~slower~ than dial up! In fact the latency makes terminal sessions painfully confusing. I'm sticking with dialup for these essential services on my server.

This isn't the first time I've used satellite IP, I had the use of a Tachyon system for a couple of years, keeping it awake and alive for the owner between it's uses at remote locations. It was an enterprise grade service, the slowest it could get under terms of the contract was 2 MB/s. When the traffic was light, it went up to 10 MB/s. The monthy cost of this service was around $700, so I was grateful to not be receiving the bill for that! Here's a pic of the Tachyon gear set up for a test behind the Crown:

Anyway, now I have the ability to listen to streaming audio (Yay! Ambient background music again!!!) and view web pages I gave up on years back (eBay, for instance, the code there is so bloated that it took 2-3 minutes to load each page over dialup). For the last couple of nights, I've been reading old travel episodes from Rob Gray's Wotthahellisat site, something that was slow enough to make viewing his many excellent photographs difficult before.

So, we'll see how this works out. If I don't invoke the Hughes "Fair Access Policy" (the "bit bucket") and cause the service to slow down due to excess bandwidth, I may tell the phone company to disconnect my second telephone line and give the money instead to the neighbors.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Pretty clean looking setup.

Remember that Hughes has FAP free time. I think it's between 3:00AM and 6AM. So with a download manager you could use that time for big things. I have been FAPed a few times and it really pisses me off. The download speed is about 1k bps. Slower than dialup. Impossible to do anything for 24 hours. All the servers out there time out waiting for you thinking no one could be THAT slow and just cut you off.

Nice looking bridge too.
Sorry I didn't have time to interrupt you, We were already late by the time we go to Sharons. maybe next time.
Jerry
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Jerry, sorry I didn't wave back the first time, I thought you were whistling for those wet spaniels that showed up at about the same time.

Funny thing, the Hughes system had it's first FAP outage right after you left. The thing was absolutely useless for 24 hours, I just went back to dialup until it was over. Nobody owns up to pushing the bit bucket over the edge, but Tim and Sharon's daughter was visiting, so I guess that there were too many users for the system to handle.

Over the course of the last few days, I put the enclosure on my end together and got the radio installed in it:

Up in the eaves with the cover removed. The electrical boxes at the top are two duplex outlets to plug the wall wart power supplies for the radio and a network hub into. There is also a solid state relay that turns the power to these outlets on and off, controlled by a voltage superimposed on the spare pairs of the network cable from the Housetruck. This way the radio (and hub if I'm using it) are completely powered down when the computer in the Housetruck is off. No use running up the utility bill 24 hours a day when the computer is only on for 23 (kidding, but you get the idea). The switch bypasses the solid state relay and powers the radio even if the Housetruck computer is off. I have plans to run a network cable to the Crown to supply internet to the two computers there and allow any guests who stay in the bus to have access with laptops, etc. It's also desirable to have a network connection to the bus so that I can more easily backup my main computer in the Housetruck -and- I can get remote access to the computer that I built and loaded with tons of music recorded from cassettes and vinyl. I'll be able to listen to any of that music over the network.

Of course, I had to have another fun and exciting crawl through the attic (twice) to run the power cord for the radio and to install another network cable into the living room of the house so that I can use the computer there when the interior of the house is (eventually) finished.

Good thing I make so much income off the internet, considering it uses up so much of my project time... :lol: :D
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Yes Jamaica was visiting. No doubt what happened there.

You do nice work. To make it look good is always the hard part.

This weather is awesome, time to get some outdoor stuff done.

See Ya
Jerry
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

FAP'd Again!

It's Memorial Day Weekend and the neighbors have a houseload of guests, so I suppose that they all used the Hughes like it was DSL. Oh well, back to dialup...

I have a yard full of visitors myself. The owner of the adjoining property who has an easement through my driveway is having a camp-out down in the pasture with his kids, their kids, their neighbors kids and a pit bull that needs a Winchester treatment. I can put up with the noise and intrusion for one more day. I think.
AccordGuy

Post by AccordGuy »

I've not been FAPed since my first broadband connection when I won a ISDN link in a raffle at an IT exhibition.

A dialup ISP offered 24x7 unlimited free access (for the monthly subscription charge) and didn't have a technical restriction on ISDN or bonding (as nearly nobody had ISDN at home). Anyway I often ran that link for 5-7 hours a day solid, bonding both channels together to get 128k and had my mail client checking the ISP every hour. The ISP soon realised that they'd undersold the package and started kicking me off, citing a new FAP (that hadn't existed when I signed up). Then one day they completely barred me without warning, closed my account (after taking payment for the next quarter) and refused the refund the money, saying I should have given them 30 days notice of wishing to terminate the contract. My complaint that it was them who terminated the contract was met by a wall of silence and then they went bust a few months later.