Solar Powered Hot Water Heaters

Discussions about Renewable Energy, including photovoltaics, wind, and small scale hydro.
Creating power for your home, off grid.
Emphasis on nuts-n-bolts, hands-on projects.

Moderator: TMAX

Joe Camper

Solar Powered Hot Water Heaters

Post by Joe Camper »

Has anyone seen this on a camper, know anything about them or have any opinions about it.

Thanks in advance[/img]
Bob

Post by Bob »

I see that same thing whenever I try to post a picture too! There is no need to heat hot water so I only have a cold water heater..as for solar water heating in a rig or anywhere else...a long black hose in the sun works great and is cheap and easy!
Wherever I am...I am home.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Bob wrote:I see that same thing whenever I try to post a picture too! There is no need to heat hot water so I only have a cold water heater..as for solar water heating in a rig or anywhere else...a long black hose in the sun works great and is cheap and easy!
You so crazy! :D :D :D
dburt

Post by dburt »

Back in the olden days of yore when camping was via a tent, my brother had a 5 gallon "portable shower" bag that was made of black vinyl, complete with shower hose and head with a manual shut-off valve. He would lay it in the sun on the roof of his pickup, and by late afternoon you had plenty of hot water for a shower. You would hang the bag from a tree limb when you were ready for your shower, and if you weren't a hot water hog you could get two showers out of the one 5-gallon bag.

I always figured if you would build a shallow box with enough black plastic 2-inch pipe looping back and forth in the box to hold about 5 gallons, and then cover the box with clear plexi-glass to keep the heat in, and mount this on the roof of your bus or camper with the intake water plumbed in from your fresh water tank, and the outlet plumbed into an older 10-15 gallon hot water tank or just a well insulated water tank for storage before the outlet to your shower or water system. Free hot water on sunny days!

On cloudy cold days, you would also have this system plumbed into your wood stove that would have a water heater coil in the back that would give you hot water.

No wood stove? Cold shower time! :lol:
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

There was a time when Bob was roughing it in a small town in northern Tenn. He had one of those shower bags. I got to use it. It works well.
Got love? Give love.
GoodClue

Solar shower

Post by GoodClue »

Every ranch I cartook, I'd build a simple sauna ... lay a slatted wood floor, put in a simple wood fired barrel stove ... sometimes the material was parachute nylon ... and I'd hang a 5 gallon solar shower bag in the sauna. It would heat as the sauna progressed, night or day, giving a hot shower rinse after the sauna ... worked beautifully.
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Joe Camper

Post by Joe Camper »

Appreciate all the response but not really what I had in mind.

I reckon there isn't anyone doing it.

Suprising for this group.

I have already pitched our all electric fridge for propane and switched the cooktop over as well. As the money surfaces I will continue down the road to comfortable efficiant boondocking.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Wa ... eating.htm