Which generator should I start with?

Discussions about Renewable Energy, including photovoltaics, wind, and small scale hydro.
Creating power for your home, off grid.
Emphasis on nuts-n-bolts, hands-on projects.

Moderator: TMAX

TinnedFish

Which generator should I start with?

Post by TinnedFish »

Allright,

I know I don't even know enough to ask this question yet, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

We're moving into a bus (probably 2) as our first step in homesteading (2 grown ups, 2 youngsters). We plan to go 100% solar over the next few years. Money is the reason for not doing it all at once. So, for our first year off-grid, I'm estimating we'll only be able to afford the generator, and hopefully the brains of the solar system. Following years, tax returns, oil strikes, etc we can add the battery bank and panels (we both have decent jobs, just the slow payin' rural kind...).

So, what generator should we get, expecting it to fulfill 100% of our power needs the first year, and become the rainy day energy source in 2-3 years? From what I've seen, we can easily get by w/ 3kwatt, so I'm aiming for a 5kw Honda? In my dream world, the generator will be something we can take on the road w/ the bus when we wander, and still be a functional power source.

Any advice/comments/flames appreciated.

Bruce
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm not a big fan of generators of any type, but if you have a limited budget and are going to purchase a contractor/homeowner grade genset, get the Honda. Briggs & Stratton and other low cost engines will wear out after only 500 hours or so and aren't worth rebuilding.

Do yourself a big favor and budget for a set of batteries up front, at least a set of T-105 deep discharge golf cart-types. Running the generator for something as simple as reading lights is annoying and a waste of money in terms of both fuel and generator engine life. Even a small $49 Radio Shack 140 watt inverter will run strings of compact fluorescent lights from the batteries, which can be charged up when the generator is running a bigger load. This also allow you to have quiet time without a noisy genset running all the time.

The batteries can eventually be working into your solar power system as you begin to purchase panels and other equipment, and replaced with a larger set when their capacity becomes too little to keep up with your demands.

Once you get your RE power system built and running, you'll probably want to use a DC genset to fill the batteries on a backup basis. Assuming that your eventual (large) inverter can run all of your AC loads, it will be much more efficient to charge with DC that running a battery charger off of the AC output of a normal generator.
TinnedFish

Second Question Answered

Post by TinnedFish »

Sharkey!

You answered my second question before I even asked it! <grin> I've been trying to figure out if an AC or DC generator was the ultimate fit, once the homestead is 100% solar. Sounds like sticking to DC is the best way to go.

I totally agree about running the generator all the time. Obviously I'm still too early in my research to be asking questions, but my plan is to have a small bank of batteries in the bus to absorb the generator load when we're wandering. And then suffer the generator on the homestead when we're rocking out and working on the pad.

We've got some cash we can spend, but we're trying to balance between power, water, composting toilet, and of course, the bus. The winter on the island is pretty darn wet and grey, so bright lights and distracting appliances are pretty crucial.

Thanks for the info.

Bruce
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Re: Which generator should I start with?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hello Bruce and family

Honda has a 3 kw unit that when running you can stand right next to it and not even here ( it's a great unit ) They also have 2 kw units that can be linked togeather with a simple plug to make a 4 kw unit. This could be better if you are going to have 2 buses cuz when on the road you can just take 1 of them. I just bought 10 new 125 watt PV solar panels to add to my bus/home to bring my system to 2400 watts and a little 400 watt wind turbine ( solar is great ) I also have 12 Kyocera 51 watt solar panels that I would sell for $2100.00 plus insured shipping from N.Y. There 13 years old but are in great shape. It would be a nice starter system if you would like to give solar a shot. And because you are a cool little family that are trying to make a go of it ( I love people who live outside the box ) I may even be able to dig up a charge controller to get you up and running. As to batteries. For the first 2 years in my bus/home I had 24 / 6volt golf cart deep cycle batteries ( wired for 12 volts ) built in under my rig ( $48.00 ) each at BJ's or Sam's club. I am now putting them in a cattle trailer that im building a leather shop in and I just put 6 giant Rolls 820 amph deep cycles in the bus/home. Well, thats it for me. Good lock with your new home. Don't forget to post some pictures of your rig as it comes along.

TinnedFish wrote:Allright,

I know I don't even know enough to ask this question yet, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

We're moving into a bus (probably 2) as our first step in homesteading (2 grown ups, 2 youngsters). We plan to go 100% solar over the next few years. Money is the reason for not doing it all at once. So, for our first year off-grid, I'm estimating we'll only be able to afford the generator, and hopefully the brains of the solar system. Following years, tax returns, oil strikes, etc we can add the battery bank and panels (we both have decent jobs, just the slow payin' rural kind...).

So, what generator should we get, expecting it to fulfill 100% of our power needs the first year, and become the rainy day energy source in 2-3 years? From what I've seen, we can easily get by w/ 3kwatt, so I'm aiming for a 5kw Honda? In my dream world, the generator will be something we can take on the road w/ the bus when we wander, and still be a functional power source.

Any advice/comments/flames appreciated.

Bruce
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
TinnedFish

Post by TinnedFish »

Dennis,

Thanks for the tip on the 2kw x 2 setup - that's exactly the kind of modularity we need.

I appreciate the offer on the panels. We're still too eary in our decision making and budgeting to comit our cash yet. Hopefully in a few months we'll have the power strategy hammered out. We're still in the process of getting the busses together. Once they're watertight and we can whip up some grub - we've got to get the compound ready for the liquification of the earth (the rainy season). We had planned to start this whole game next spring, but an insane landlady has driven us to seek freedom a lot sooner! -grin-

Don't worry about the pics, you'll be seein' em!

bruce