Air-x Performance Question?

Discussions about Renewable Energy, including photovoltaics, wind, and small scale hydro.
Creating power for your home, off grid.
Emphasis on nuts-n-bolts, hands-on projects.

Moderator: TMAX

Jerry Campbell

Air-x Performance Question?

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Hi New York Dennis,
How does your Air-x perform. Have you thought about the large blade set you can buy for them.
Jerry
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Air-x

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Jerry

The Air x is a great little unit depnding on where you are.For me it's of no use in the summer here but it really takes up the slack in the winter months. I like it because it self regulating, you just hook it up to your battery bank and your good to go. I think the best way to go is to have both PV solar panels and a wind gen. I started with PV panels first, I have more sun then wind.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I hope it's a great little unit because I now have one. It's for when the sun don't shine. A backup battery charger. The main reason I got it was because of its size. Because it's for the bus, I must be able to throw it in and go. Plus I must be able to get it up in the air and take it down.
Because of it's size it doesn't put out much at low wind speeds. In my world in the north and the south the wind blows 10 to 15 mph unless there's a big storm. SO, I'm trying to figure out how to get power at that speed. I have a set of 6 blades and a rotor and a tail assembly that I'm making that will fit the Air-x to try to get more power at lower speeds. I have the choice of stock 3 blades for high speeds or 3 larger blades for a little less wind or 6 larger blades and another tail assembly for low speeds. I can't wait to see how it works. But I need another couple of hundred bucks for wire and tubing and switches and plugs. We shall see. Hopefully I'll figure it out before the fall and it gets too cold and I have to leave.
I just wondered if you had heard of larger blades on this unit?
Jerry
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I forgot. What size tubing did you use for your tower?
Thanks
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I just finished with the new rotor and new tail. You'll have to copy and paste these addresses.

http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com/rotor.jpg

http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com/bigtail.jpg
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry, what does your machine sound like when it is in high wind? My Air 403 is pretty noisy, and sounds like a weed eater when it goes into governing. I never did get much power out of it, partially because of the too-low tower, but also because it seemed to take a real gale to get it up to enough speed to actually have some output. Will the three additional blades provide a boost in torque that will overcome some of this?

I'm thinking of selling my 403 because it's 12 volt and I've coverted over to 24. I'd rather have something that is a bit quieter in wind also. Considering that the only real wind I have here is during storms, I'm thinking that investing in hydro makes a lot more sense. A lot of work to bring the water down off the hillside to the north, but continuous power once it's up and running.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I'm with you, If you have falling water go for that. No matter what you do it all cost money up front.
First off I know nothing. I've never had this thing up in the air. I've read that the 403's were noisy. The Air-x is supposed to be quieter than the 403 and a little different technology. Super magnets and a mppt charge controller. The larger blades, made by someone else are supposed to be much quieter than the stock ones. The Air-x slows itself down at between 40 and 50 mph almost to a dead stop. It also slows itself down when it reaches charge voltage. I've seen an Air-x with stock blades in Mexico in about 15 to 20 mph winds up about 30 feet and I couldn't hear it at all. I did live on the beach for a spell with 3, what looked to me about 1000 watt cheapo wind generators on top of a hotel. It sounded like a bird farm of some kind. and when the 50 mph gusts hit the noise turned from birds into helicopters, pop pop pop.
What it really is and what it will really do I will see when I get it up. I'll let you know when I do. I have high hopes for the large blade set. If I could get 10 or 15 amps out of this thing I'd be happy.
Jerry