Guerrilla Solar ?

Discussions about Renewable Energy, including photovoltaics, wind, and small scale hydro.
Creating power for your home, off grid.
Emphasis on nuts-n-bolts, hands-on projects.

Moderator: TMAX

Jerry Campbell

Guerrilla Solar ?

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Just go back from a winter of "Crown"ing around the hemisphere, 5750 Miles. What a bus, What a bus. Now I'm wondering if I should use the power directly from the bus or plug it into the grid at my cabin in the woods. Judging from the system listed in previous posts, what say ye? Would I need another inverter? A disconnect of some sort?
Thanks
Jerry
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Jerry, welcome back.

The Prosine 3000 isn't a grid intertie inverter, so if you want to be able to backfeed the grid, you'll need to swap it out with something that is, like an Outback. You'll also want to remove/disable your charge controller, as the inverter bacomes your charge controller, although it would be desirable to still have the MPPT function. I don't know enough about the MX60 to tell you how to set it up, but it might be possible to defeat the charge controller (set it higher than the inverter's float voltage), and still get the advantage of MPPT.

Wow, parked on the beach for a winter. Wotta life! That's a lot of silicon on your roof!
Jerry Campbell

Guerrilla Solar?

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I can see I need a better understanding of how intertie inverters work. In the meantime I'll just create another circuit in the house. I have many questions but alas typing is my least favorite way to communicate. My mind moves way too fast. Speaking of moving way too fast, I understand from somewhere your riding a beemer. Is that true? I'm putting the battery back in my '79 today and getting her ready for the summer.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Inverters capable of grid intertie have specialized programming that allows them to sync with the AC line and monitor six or more parameters to insure that the quality of the power both coming in and being back fed are up to snuff. They also require special UL approval. Of course they cost more...

BMW? Eh, no, you probably got that idea from the "Pictures of Grace" thread where I may have mentioned riding Prakash's bike while visitng Santa Cruz in 1982.