Ghetto Pot Roast

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Hey DB, ELK? I never ate elk, but I have eaten goat, squirrel, frog, and alligator. I did not hunt those animals. I just happened to be where, those that did. What I really wanted to know is if hamburger meat would cook in the crockpot. My impression is that it would fall apart. I don't care so much about that as long as it would cook. BING!!!! I just thought of something! People make meatballs and cook them in stews, don't they? I guess, perhaps, when I go to make my chili invention in the crockadoodle, I will roll up those hamburger chunks and put them in there. Now, let me see, I also need some tomato paste, water, spices, kidney beans, and (of course) garlic. That will be a fun project. I think I will have to graduate from the soups before I get to the pot roast projects. HEY, if I hooked up with a woman named Betty, she could be my Betty Crocker!!!! And the crowd goes BOO. I know that was so corny, so if you want, you can all fart in a plastic bag and send it to me. Ha Ha. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

UPDATE: I have to make a correction. After having scooped up some lentil soup tonight, I realize that my assessment of how much I had was a bit exaggerated. I only ended up with five cans worth. Nevertheless, it is still a savings. Plus, I made it myself, and I actually like it better than the Progresso lentil soup. Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Rudy, I made a huge meatlofe in mine not long ago 4 1/2 lbs of ground beef wraped in 1 lb of bacon covered in katchup it turned out to be a huge loaf of loooove :D
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I drove to the post office today. I was excited about seeing the big box of stuff you sent. It brought back memories from years ago, which I will tell you of shortly. First, let me say that in an email that Sharkey sent me, he told me about the emotional support you provided him through his tough times. You are a generous person with your time and the concern you have for our "bus family". People like you give hope to humankind. Now on to the box. I was very impressed with the way you scientifically packed all the items in there. Then I realized that, after seeing your craftiness in woodworking, it is all part of your genius. I want to say thank you for helping out a guy you have never even met. Now on to the memories. When I opened the box today, I was taken back to when I was overseas during the Vietnam war and every so often I would receive a "care package" from the relatives back in "the world". It was a special moment for me today. It was so thoughtful of you to think of the dogs with the dog biscuits, as well as the coffee, and the money inside the box. I still am amazed at how you packed everything so precisely. Instead of making chili for my next project, I will use some of the ingredients you sent me and invent a meal. I am still eating the lentil soup I made. I have two more servings left. I have been eating it for two days. That really doesn't bother me though, because I can eat the same thing every day for months. I am a simple guy with simple tastes. I sold one of my "pieces" today. (I don't mean artwork). So now, I can get by for a while. I hope you are listening to the music I sent you. I listen to that stuff in my truck when I am driving. I really like it. It's great to be able to play and record the type of music I like listening to. If I was being paid to record on somebody's country music album in Nashville, I would not listen to it. I have done that, and I really prefer instrumental music. My parents don't understand. They think that the only music there is, is country songs with singing. I guess they never understood jazz. Are you thinking that you might move to Caribou ever? I have for years been thinking that I should get back to my own "planet". (Planet Maine). I don't know if that is a real possibility. Well, one day at a time for me at this stage of existence. Thank you Dennis for your help. Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey there Rudy

We’re all in this mess together buddy. Remember the 3 Dennis the bus dweller rules. Shelter, food and heat. If your indoors or "inbus" fed and warm you got a shot at getting through anything and if you run low on heat you can always stuff the dogs in your sleeping bag to keep warm so I thought it best to send them something as well. Anyway, all kidding aside, The kid and I were more then happy to send some chow your way. We’ve had it great at times and we’ve had it tuff so it never hurts to score a few karma points whenever we can if you know what I mean :D
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OK Dennis, Who's "the kid", that you mentioned? And thanks once again. Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Oh, I thought you new, I have a daughter and a grand turtle. Shes grown and live on her own now not far from me but we hang out a few times a week. She just made a pretty big batch of peach / raspberry jam so when it sets up good maybe she'll hook yah up with a jar. She makes some yummy stuff.
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Here's my grand turtle "Fredrick" he's 8 Image
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That's so funny! Are you trying to tell me that your daughter gave birth to a turtle? Do you live near a nuclear testing site? Perhaps you should invest in a geiger counter. HA HA. By the way, I love jam and preserves. I wrote about this somewhere on the forums, but when I was a high power lineman, and we were putting up new lines in New Hampshire, during the fall, we would knock off a half hour early and collect Concord grapes off the side of the road with the bucket truck and bring them to a woman who would make grape jelly for us as well as grape pies. I bet you never had grape pie. My grandma used to make raisin pie and it sure was yummy. Being from the north, you probably have eaten raisin pie. It sure is nice that your daughter visits you often. I have no children, and it sure is too late to think about starting that. And second of all, One needs a good woman to begin those kinds of ideas. I really did not ever want to have children. I figured that as screwed up as my youth was, I most likely could not have provided a better life for any children I might have brought into this world.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Your a sick sick man Rudy. You'll make it for sure :D I raised her myself from age 7 and she's 27 now and shows very few signs of being like me :D She's my best female friend.
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, If your daughter is not like you, perhaps she is the next and better generation. Remember, though, she does have your life's blood flowing through her. I am sure that she is as talented as you are. I sure hope she is prettier than her turtle child. No offense, I really like turtles too. OH! This brings to mind a little story. Way back when, I was scheduled to go overseas while I was in the military. I had a pet turtle at that time. I asked my mom to watch over him while I was away. She is afraid of all animals, but she said she would do it. Of course, after a few days, she gave my turtle away to someone she knew who would take care of it. So now I am over there and I write her a letter a few months later and tell her that I am sending her some frogs that I bought. I neglected to tell her that they were five stuffed frogs that were propped up to look like they were in a band playing musical instruments. I must say, at this point, that mom is deathly afraid of ALL animals. So the box arrives at the parent's house and it wasn't until I got back home that I found out that she was afraid to open it, and did not open it for weeks, thinking that I had sent her LIVE frogs. It makes me laugh to think of that. Thanks, Dennis, for bringing these memories back. That was one story that I have not thought of since it happened. It was over 35 years ago. As you say, What a hoot it is hangin' around this website. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DB, I went to the grocery store today to get my favorite Gatorade and thought about the ground turkey meat. I found it and it was cheap. I bought two tubes of the frozen goodies. I will invent a crockpot meal combining that with some dried goods and spice/soup packages that Dennis TBD sent me. I know that these are all experiments at this point, but I am optimistic about their results. Of course, I will post reports. This will be my third foray into the world of cooking. Even though I cannot dress myself with color coordinated clothing, I can make some edible food. Rudy
dburt

Post by dburt »

Most of the time Rudy you can be color blind and still cook! :lol:
We had the ground turkey burger tonite for supper in a caserole, it's not too bad! With a few spices to taste and the always good garlic, you can do it! DB
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey there Rudy

Here's a batch of crock pot turkey chili I made on saterday, There's nothing to it and it's great.

Mine is a 2 pound batch but here’s a 1 pound list.

1 pound ground turkey

1 good size coarsely chopped onion

1 good size coarsely chopped green pepper

3 cloves of garlic sliced or choped

1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes

1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans, drained, rinsed

2 teaspoons chili powder

salt and pepper to taste ( easy on the salt )

1 lite tea spoon cayenne pepper ( easy goin with the cayenne, you canalways add more later )

I don’t think I forgot anything, so put it all in the crock pot and “giver hellâ€
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Thanks for the recipe. I would have made that, but I did not have all the ingredients. So here is my experimental meal. Last night, I defrosted the one pound of ground turkey. This morning I put a quart and a half of water, one package of Sicilian lentil soup and a package of Parma Rosa sauce mix (both of which you sent me),the one pound of ground turkey meat, one half of a yellow onion, 10 cloves of garlic (cut up into little pieces), and a good shaking of black pepper. The crockpot is now on high, and I hope to have it done for supper. I doubt it will look as good as the stuff you do. It will probably be more of a soup. I do think, however, that it will be yummy. Regardless, I will eat it because there is three days of food for me in that pot. I must say that every time I do the crockpot thing, I feel excited about actually cooking. Beats the shit out of frozen dinners. Besides, they never put enough in those things. Actually, I don't have any more of those frozen dinners. They always did scare me. I don't mind canned foods that much. By the way, that is an awesome looking crockpot that you have. It looks pretty large. Mine was given to me and it is regular size. Thanks for the help with this journey. Rudy