Ghetto Pot Roast

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Rudy and others

These pics are taken with my razor phone, pretty good right? The great thing about meat loaf is that it gets better as the days go on and it even makes great sandwiches as well. I’m betting you could roast a great chicken in that roaster thing you got there. It looks pretty big and it has that little rack in it. I think you could find the manual with a Google search of the name, model # followed by the word manual. That will tell you if you can roast in it, I bet you can. I sat on board of directors of a huge youth group here in NY for about 12 years and I use to always tell the kids ( 14 to 18 ) that there was two things that would always help them survive when times weren’t so good. #1 is a warm plate of food at the end of a long day and #2 Some Led Zeppelin in the boom box :D It's kept my daughter and I alive all these years give it a go :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Check it out

Here ya go rudy

That thing looks like it will cook just about anything

http://www.nesco.com/customer_support/o ... _download/

http://www.nesco.com/recipes/

Go gettem
Peace along the way
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

An electric frying pan is also good for cooking roasts, so that new contraption that Rudy has is sure to be able to do them.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I went to a store called Aldi's yesterday. It is a place where they buy overstocked items that come from other big supermarkets. I was impressed with walking out with four big bags of food for $50. It would have cost me $80 at Kroger. I looked at the recipes that you have posted on this thread and got ingredients to make the crockpot delights. I got lots of different meats. Hamburger, kielbasa, chorizo (hot) sausage, 3 flank steaks, 1lb bacon, three 2 quart bottles of juice, a box of crackers, a box of frosted mini wheats, three large containers of beef broth, a jar of chili powder, a bag of onions, a bag of potatoes, a bag of garlic, a whole bunch of packages of rice and sauce, a bunch of packages of gravy mix, a bag of celery, a bag of carrots, and a 2lb bag of pinto beans. I have enough stuff for two weeks, maybe more, of crockpottering. I will take some photos. Today, I am going to make a Chorizo-rice meal. All the other meats are in my little freezer in my RV fridge.
I will let you know when I use the new cooking machine that I received last week. I sure hope I can get some pretty pictures like Dennis's
BostonBluegrassBoy

Post by BostonBluegrassBoy »

Hi Rudy & other 'crockery pot' cooking fans; I just found this website and thought you fellows might enjoy it. It's a goldmine of recipes for 'crockery pot' cookery: http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/c ... ex-5b.html (And according to notes on this page, it seems "Crock-Pot"(R) is a Registered Trademark and should not be used generically... gee, apparently Sharkey isn't the only one getting knocked about by the legal system...)

Rudy, you're fortunate to have an Aldi's near you. There aren't any in New England. My wife's family is from the mountains in Southwestern Pennsylvania, we stock up at the Aldi's there whenever we vist.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Hi Boston, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the link to recipes. I am a little confused, though, about you reference to the word CROCKPOT. Are you saying that we cannot use the word? Do you think that the "CROCKPOT POLICE" are going to shut us down. I have always called that device a crockpot. Do you think we should call it a "crockery" pot? That's just "crazery"! Thanks for posting to the forum. Perhaps you can tell us of your favorite dishes. Oh!, do you play an instrument? Bluegrass music perhaps? Check out the Music Central forum. It is a lot of fun. Thanks for posting on this forum.
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Rudy! My God Buddy, It's happening. Your becoming a "CROCKPOT" master. Maybe you can paint the bus the same color as your "CROCKPOT" or maybe change the color of the "CROCKPOT" to the same color as the bus. I bet you can get a really nice "CROCKPOT" with a picture of a turkey on it or maybe a picture of a turkey with a "CROCKPOT" on his back. Although the "CROCKPOT" might be to heavy for the turkey so he may have to get a nice custom "CROCKPOT" wagon to tote the "CROCKPOT" in. But if the "CROCKPOT" police do get wind of this port and gets ahold of the "CROCKPOT" owners we'll all be in the deep fryer. Well, I couldn't help myself here :roll: Any way, I have the box with the stuff for chili in it on the front seat of my van so I get it in the mail tomorrow morning headed your way. All you'll need to do is dump a lb of what in the "CROCKPOT" along with a bag of the stuff in the box chop up an onion and a green bell pepper then turn on the "CROCKPOT" and your good to go.
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, That post was just so funny. You better watch out, though, the CROCKPOT police are really cracking down in your neck of the woods. I don't mean to make fun of Boston. I am actually glad that he contributed to the forum. The link that he posted about (crockpot) recipes is awesome. Hey, Boston, If you read this please don't think that I am making fun of you. By the way, I am a New Englander as well. I've got the Chorizo-rice dish cooking right now. I hope it gets done before I have to go to bed. It smells great. I did a little taste test. It is pretty spicy. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Personally, I think that the letters from the owners of the Crock-Pot trademark on that recipe site are a crock of ....! As mentioned by the writer of the recipe site, There are over 4 million mentions of the word CROCKPOT. Well EXCUUUUSE me for speaking such a holy word without permission.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Yipee!! Another successful experimental dish. I call this one Chorizo-rice a roni. In the "crockpot" :roll: I put:
One pound of Chorizo hot sausage
One quart beef broth
One can of tomatoes with hot peppers
One cup brown rice
One half cup linguine
Two carrots
One yellow onion
Two stalks celery
Four cloves garlic
A four inch sprig of rosemary
One teaspoon curry powder

It has been cooking for five hours.
It has been smelling SO good and it will be ready to eat in 15 minutes. DAMN, I am excited. Who would have thought that cooking could be so fun. Here is a photo. I know that it looks like my other stews. Some time soon, though, I will take a picture of some roast that I make. Maybe then, I can enter it into a cooking magazine, which is where Dennis's pictures belong.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

WOW!!! DOUBLE WOW!!! I just finished a giant bowl of this stuff. It was so good, I was tempted to have some more, and I am a guy who never has second helpings. There are a myriad of flavors dancing around in that pot of goodness. The most noticeable aspect of it is it's subtle yet insistent spiciness. It will make your ears tingle and your forehead sweat, yet it is so good that you can't stop eating it. I am very much looking forward to have some more for breakfast. That's the way I do it. I cook a "CROCKPOT" of food and have it for every meal for the next two or three days. Then I make another pot and eat that for two or three days. I am going to do a pinto bean meal next. Yessiree!!! :) :) :)
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, I swear I can smell that crock pot stew over the internet it looks so good! DB
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Rudy

Fear not homie, The chili stuff is on it's way, look for it tuesday or Wednesday.
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

NOTICE: Postings have moved to a new forum category called Foodstamp Gourmet. Go there to see continuations of food talk.