Ghetto Pot Roast

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Ghetto Pot Roast

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Pot roast in the solar trailer out in Montauk. It made the trailer smell really good :D and it's cold and nasty here so it's a great warmup meal for the next couple of days, Yummy :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

MMMM, Can I come over for dinner? It looks like potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms (I think), seasoning, and a piece of beef in the center. Any onions in there? Is that a crock pot? How long did it take to cook? I can smell it all the way over here. I am going to receive a crockpot as a gift soon. I heard that you can just throw stuff together in them and let them cook overnight. Buying a hunk of meat would be the expensive part, but I can see that a crockpot full of food would last me a week. I have never used one before. Do you know if you can cook dried beans with them. Imagine being able to make one's own lentil soup! My favorite. I appreciate any answers you may have. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here's what I had last night. I get this stuff for cheap at a store called Dollar General. The fillet of Herrings were a dollar a piece, the green chiles were 59 cents, the Ritz type crackers were a dollar for a box. Pretty tasty stuff, and I didn't have to cook.

Last edited by Rudy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Yesterday, someone gave me this thing called a French Press. MAN! Does it make a GREAT cup of coffee!

Last edited by Rudy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Later on in the evening, I snacked on this stuff. I also get this stuff at Dollar General. The chocolate bar is $1.35 and the dried apricots were a dollar a box.

Last edited by Rudy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy Rudy Rudy- you have got to find a good wife, one that can cook! This batchelor diet, inexpensive as it might be, will not do for long! I know, when I worked out of town for two years I ate the same way. Then I discovered the crock pot. You put in some lentils and rice, add some tasty turkey burger and a little seasoning and presto!- in about 3 hours you have a great supper. Plus, you have enough for lunch the next day too! It's a great way to eat on a tight budget. Or take some good black-eyed peas, add some seasoning to taste and you have a good hot dish to add to the mix of food. With a crock pot, the possiblities are endless. And inexpensive. You can buy used crock pots at the second hand stores for next to nothing. And bags of lentils, beans, rice, split peas, etc are really cheap. Here's to better health- even in spite of batchelor cooking!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OK, DB, Where do I find this "good" wife? What woman would want to live with this 56 year old guy in a bus? If I was a young hippie, I would be likely to find some hippie chick at some concert. I don't really go anywhere now. Actually, I would like a hippie chick, as long as she was in her 50s. Getting back to the crock pot, I think it is a great idea. I'll give a report when I get one and show you what I cooked. Thanks for the heads up.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, that is a very, very good question. My older brother is 60, been single about 10 years, and seems to have a hard time also finding a good woman. Maby we should start a singles website for lonely single bus/truck home dwellers. Kinda like EHarmony, but we could call it something like MobileMates, BusforUs, Takestwototrucktango, TwoforTrucks, MobileHouseMates, etc. There has to be some good older hippie minded women out there who are looking for a good man, and want to rediscover that nomadic, carefree lifestyle. They just don't know where to look! (I told my brother that actually what he needs is a much older wealthy woman with no kids, no living ex, and a bad cough!)

I think you have the makings of being a crock pot gourmet cook. Desperation and necessity often drive us to extreme survival methods, which often turn out to be pretty cool!

My father-in-law married a very nice, much younger Phillipino (sp?) woman who is 40 years his junior. I also have 3 other friends who have done the same thing. These ladies have come from an entirely different culture, they are not like many women in the US who have a very different set of values and goals that seem to be the thing in western culture. These women all aspire to have a good husband and take care of him. Thier highest priority is family and husband. They don't seem to mind older men. They all speak very good English, and most have good educations. My "mother-in-law" is a college graduate with a degree in education.

I have another friend who married a much younger women from Columbia. She is well educated, speaks good English and is a very beautiful lady who has the mindset of family and husband first. He is a drift-about, a very nice guy but just kinda floats thru life and one job after another, but it does not seem to bother her!

Remember the song- "Up on Cripple Creek" by The Band? The woman they are singing about is a "drunkard's dream if I ever did see one". Well, these woman are even better then a drunkard's dream, all these guys give a glowing testimony about what a good deal these woman are, and how happy they are that they found them!

Just a thought.......
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

How about this? I checked and the domain name is available. www.hotoldhousebusbabesthatcanandwillcook.com :D

As to your question, Yes that is a crock pot and not only can you cook almost anything in it but if you do find work you can dump all your ingredence in it and set the timer and leave it and when you get back to the rig the place smells great and you have a nice hot meal to boot. ( Unless the dogs help them selves ) In that pot is a 3 ½ lb bottom round at 2 bucks a lb a few potatoes, half a dozen carrots, 1 small turnip, 1 small rutabaga, 1 mid size onion, 1 mid size portabella mushroom, a few stalks of celery in a few cups of water and a couple table spoons of gravy master along with a little salt and pepper at the toon of 12 bucks total. With a good lofe of bread it will feed me four big dinners. Rudy, Rudy man, your Hurtin me buddy. I didn’t make it to the post office yesterday but I will make it in the morning and along with the green for the music I’m gonna pack you a box of some dry good, it wont be much but it will help hold you over till you can find some work. Do you have propane for your stove? Hey, I just finished reading “The Enduranceâ€
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DB, MobileMates and BusForUS are great names. As improbable as it may be, it would be great to get a web site like that off the ground. There may be many people who have given up the mobile life style and perhaps get back into it if they had a mate. I bet there are even more people who don't have a house bus or truck and dream of the freedom that goes with them. One can dream, though.
By the way, how did your father- in- law and your friends meet their Filipino wives. I had lots of Filipino friends when I lived in LA 25 years ago. My friend, William, was really wanting me to marry a woman from there, so she could become a citizen. She was a doctor. I learned a lot about their culture through him. Apparently all the children grow up learning to play a musical instruments. I went to a lot of house parties and ate a lot of food which I did not know what it was. Here's a funny story. One time William came to my house to play some music with me (he was a great guitar player). He had a small brown paper bag with him. It was all greasy from the contents that he kept munching on. I asked him what was in the bag and he said it was dog. It actually smelled pretty rank. Well, he just kept on munching on this stuff and asked me several times if I wanted some. I humbly refused. After about a half hour, he said, Rudy, this is the last piece. " Are you SURE you don't want any"? Then he laughed heartily and said that it was not dog. It was squid. What a jokester. Please find out how one might meet a foreign woman. I think internet dating is a waste of time.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Hot Old Housebus Babes? I suppose at my age, I could consider a trim older woman to be hot. Apparently, you like dburt's idea as well. I know it's just talk right now, but do you think something like that would work? I think it costs a lot of money to start web sites. You also have to have some brainy people put it together and keep it running. Earlier this year, I paid $107 to Match.com for a year's subscription. After a couple of months, I just canceled the whole thing. It was a joke. NO ONE was interested in me or my bus. All the women my age already had a house, grandkids, pets, pools, cars. I kept asking myself, just what are they looking for? Someone to move into their house with them? Well, getting back to the Dates With Motors site, if it was specialized like that, there would surely be like-minded people responding. I would be glad to pay for a service like that. If your would-be mate lived in another state, you could go pick them up in your bus or truck.
Now to food. Dennis, I don't want you to think that I am going hungry or starving. Yes, I do eat out of cans, but I have many of them. They have a long shelf life. If necessary, you can eat them cold. I do have propane. I just got two 20 lb. tanks filled. It was $30, which is fairly cheap around here. I use them for heat. I have three 3000 BTU catalytic heaters. I also have my rent and electricity paid up for four months. I use two oil filled electric radiators for heat as well. Last night, it got down to 33 degrees and it was almost too warm with the heat I had going. I also have 5 catalytic camping heaters that are 1500 BTUs. I had two of those going as well. I actually had to shut off one of the 3000 Wave heaters. The camping heaters use the little propane bottles. They are one pounders and they last for 20 hours. When I bought the bus, the big 60 gallon propane tank underneath had perhaps a little less then 1/8th left in it. I ran that out. I should be able to get that filled in a month. I don't use my stove for cooking. I use the microwave. I love to joke on the few people who visit me and say " come on in, I've got food in the oven". Then I open it up to show that is is quite full of cans. It makes a great storage. I've also got cans on shelves and in closets. I've got crackers and chips as well. Thanks for thinking of me and I will gladly accept dry goods. I am for sure going to get a crockpot now. I am excited about actually "cooking". Oh, the dogs will not be able to get to the crockpot on the countertop. I just can't wait to walk in to the bus and smell the food cooking. I might be temted to say something like "Lucy, I'm home". Alas, there is no Lucy, or Jane, or Maria, or....... My dogs are here, but they do NOT, or have ever gotten people food. This is small quarters that I live in and I do not want them begging when I eat. Once again, thank you both for thinking of me. Rudy Oh, yeah, did those manly men cook their sled dogs before they ate them? You'd think with all the muscles in those dogs, it would be some tough meat!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Ok so I found a big time posta sale and some dry soup from my own stash and some other light wait foods to ship and off they'll go tomarrow. Now, as to the sled dogs :cry: Yes they cook them first :cry: and they said the young ones were best :lol:
Peace along the way
dburt

Post by dburt »

Some time back while surfing on the web for info about buses and RV/Motorhome conversions I ran accross a site where some folks had a website where they posted daily about thier cross country trip in a motorhome. It was a middle aged man and his girlfriend who had met via a singles site catering to RV dwellers that was somehow sponsored by a large RV club that they belonged to, as I recall. I don't remember how I ended up at thier site, but it was interesting and got me thinking.

That's where I actually first heard of the idea of a match making site for RV dwellers. The lady told how she had sold her home and decided she wanted to live on the road, and had met the guy via the match maker site for single RV dweller types. So I know it can be done, it just needs someone who knows how to put together a website and do all those techy things to make it work.

Dennis, I like your website or domain name! It cracks me up! Maby we could convice Sharkey to put something together! Who knows, it could be the next big internet match making site!

Rudy, my father-in-law and my three friends all went to the Philipines and went thru a match making company that introduces them to women that they feel might be what the men are looking for. They meet a bunch of women, and soon the guys pick women they are really interested in. They stay about two weeks and go on dates with chaperones and spend as much time as they can to get to know the women, and then they head back to the states if they want, or can stay longer if they want. If something leads to marriage, then they can get married over there, and start the 6-month long immigration process to bring thier wives over here. Most of the guys come back home during the 6 month wait because of jobs etc.

My friend who married the woman from Columbia just went down there by himself, found a Methodist church like the one he is a member of here in the states, and started going there. He told someone who could speak English that he was looking for a wife, and the nice young women in the town started coming out of the woodwork to meet the El Norte Americano Gringo.

He is now trying to get another one of our buddies to go down and meet women down there, since he now has a contact group in place consisting of his wife's rather large extended family, with places to stay, specific women to meet, etc. His wife showed our single buddy a picture of her cousin who is an attorney, a beautiful women of about 30. If I had been single, I would have caught the next flight out!

It seems that there are more nice eligible women in some parts of S. America then there are men, and they are raised in a culture down there that says you are nothing without a husband. So even middle aged bus drifters look good to them!! Oh, and most of them can cook too!!

DB
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Well, DB, none of that is going to happen for me. I don't have a passport nor the money to take a trip to a foreign land and visit there. It is really out of my hands. BUT, let's see what tomorrow may bring. No matter how low of a ditch I find myself in, there is always a ray of hope. For now, I keep a nice home and prepare. I may be an old fart, but I am talented in many ways. I know would make a great catch.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Lots of the Phillipino wives here in the states also have sisters and cousins over here now, which could prove a fertile place to look for that special someone. Maby we can get Sharkey to start BusBabesforUS.com and you can advertize yourself there!

Years ago when I was quite fresh to computers a good friend of mine wanted to find a woman. He had heard about the online match making sites, but did not have a computer, or know how to go about posting his info and pictures.

I had one of the then-new digital cameras, so we decided to take his picture and figure out how to post it and his info on line. After much trouble and figuring, we managed to get him posted.

However, when he saw himself in the photos, he was discouraged because he had so much gray hair on his head and in his beard. So he decided to do something about it, and went to WalMart and got some dark hair dye to color his beard and hair. He came out looking like someone had used a very black Sharpie all over his head, black as coal tar or well used diesel engine oil.

Back to WalMart to get some blond colored hair dye to lighten things up a bit. Big Mistake!! Somehow he came out looking like a skunk! So back to WalMart for some more fixings. This time he came out looking like a Calico cat, blond, red, black, orange and several shades in between.

Well, naturally we who were his friends could not let this pass by unnoticed so we christened him "The Calico Kid". Being rather sensative by now, he could not stand the abuse and went to a women's styling salon for a fix-it, which turned out not to bad, all things considered.

And all of this so he could have me retake and post a picture of himself that looked younger so as to attract more women, he figured.

Moral of the story- just be straightforward from the git go and avoid alot of potential trouble.