Ghetto Pot Roast

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

If you are serious about finding a mate, the internet is THE place to go now.

I found my wife through a personals ad at yahoo.com.

As Yahoo says, [/b]You Always Have Other Options.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Mark, I am glad to hear that you were successful with internet dating. I know other people that it has worked for as well. I must remain optimistic.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OK everyone, I got my crockpot today. As I am writing, there is black eyed peas and hamhocks in there. It sure smells good. It will be ready tomorrow. I will take a pic. Rudy
Last edited by Rudy on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

You go Rudy, A box is on the way Bushomie :lol:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

You are going to love what you can do with that crock pot. Nothing like coming home to the smell of a home cooked meal simmering in the pot, and all you really have to do is throw the contents in the pot, add water, turn the power on and walk away until it's done. A batchelor's dream way to cook! Now all you have to get is one of those bread making machines, and you will be right down town! Nothing like hot "home made" bread to go with that pot roast or stew on the crock pot "stove".
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

First, my broadband internet connection is working terribly today, I am lucky I can get this message off. I want to report that the black eyed peas came out great. They did not have ham hocks at the grocery store, so I used something my mom used to use when she made soups. It is salt fat pork. Now that I have used it, I think it is disgusting. I think I should NOT have cut it up in to little pieces. I had to extract it from the mix with a fork. It did, however, flavor the beans. The meal turned out to be more of a soup. I did not take a picture because it looked like something you would see in a horror movie. The black eyed peas tasted great. I used a bunch of raw onion and garlic in the mix. I will try the Ghetto Pot Roast soon. I think I have to use less water. Suffice it to say, I am very excited about "cooking". Oh, the bus smelled great with the crockpot going. Tonight I am going to have some of those canned fillet of herrings that you saw in a photo. I just love those things, as stinky as they are. Yes, I may even eat some chocolate later on. Old habits die hard. I am getting a crockpot recipe book soon. At least I can use their methods instead of wasting time and money on experiments. Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hi Rudy

Also try smoked pork neck bones for soup and flavoring beans and such. There about $1.29 a LB here. Just look for meaty ones there great. And here is the web site that i use for crock pot reciepies. I just about covers it all. http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I checked out the website. Very nice. I don't have a printer for my computer, but I will write down some recipes. Thanks, Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Hi Y'all, I just want to give you a short report on the lentil soup I just made. It came out awesome. I even took two photos. I have to go to Nashville right now, but I will be back in a few hours with the full report. By the way, it tastes great and is way cheaper that the Progresso cans I have been buying. Yipee!, I am actually cooking. I am entertained easily. I'll write to you soon. Rudy
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, if you add a little turkey hamburger (cheaper and better for you then beef) and some garlic- as my dad used to say, it will "make you wanna slap your pappy" it's so good! Plus keep an eye out for a used bread machine at yard sales and 2nd hand stores. You can make some good bread and put a little butter on it hot and dip it into your lentil soup- you'll want to slap your momma and pappy both!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Slap yah momma and pappy, That’s hysterical, What a f**kin hoot it is to hang out here :D :D
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey Rudy, Stop at the post office, your package got there yesterday. Theres nothing that will go bad so it's no big deal.
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Well, here are two photos. The lentil soup tastes so good that I took two pictures of it. Yesterday I bought a one pound bag of dry lentils, a yellow onion, a bag of shredded carrots, and a bag of raw spinach. I already had some garlic. I read the bag and it said that you don't have to soak lentils. It said to put 8 cups of water for the bag. I put the lentils in the crock pot, then I added 7cups water, 1 can chicken broth, a bunch of sea salt, a good amount of pepper, 1 tablespoon of a spice called Spike, a small handful of dried celery leaves, the bag of shredded carrots, 10 cloves of garlic, and let the stuff cook on high for three hours. At 10 o'clock, when I went to bed, I added the bag of raw spinach, and put the crock pot on low. It was smelling good at that point. Perhaps I should say that it was smelling strong, due to all the garlic. (Slap yo mammy strong)!. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of sleep to (tinkle). I really never use the word (tinkle). I sound like a three year old now. I guess I am giddy about this new found crockpottery. When I woke up, the whole bus was filled with the aroma of home cooked wonderfulness. I took a spoonful to taste this marvelous treat and it was so hot, I burnt my lips and tongue. That was a lesson learned. I knew I had to get up at six in the morning so I shut the heat off and figured it would be just perfect when I got up. Indeed it was. All together I had a little over $6 invested in the soup. I figure I have the equivalent of ten cans of Progresso Lentil soup in my crockpot. Those cans of soup are $1.65 on sale. Not only do I save a bunch of bucks, but I have the enjoyment of eating something I created. Keep in mind that I did not use a recipe. You guys said just throw the stuff in there and it will cook itself. That's just what happened. My next project will be chili. I have ONE QUESTION. Do I fry the meat first, or will it cook in the crockpot? So, without further ado, here are the pics. Thank you all for the inspiration. Rudy

Last edited by Rudy on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Thanks for the contribution. The post office is 25 miles away and in the other direction from where I went today. I will go there tomorrow. Thanks. Rudy
dburt

Post by dburt »

Just throw the meat in and it will cook fine, and stay tender too! The very best stew I ever had in my life had elk meat chunks and garlic in the lentil stew. It was "slap your whole family AND your granddaddy and grandmammy" good!!

And Rudy- Brenda, my wife says to try Turkey sausage, you can find it in the frozen food section. It is seasoned and very tasty, and fairly cheap too!