Ghetto Pot Roast

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DB, When I read that first sentence, I fell off my chair. I think I hurt my elbow. Then when I read the rest of it, I realized that you were just goofin' on me. You are a funny guy. Hey, Check out my story about being attacked by a turkey on Wild Turkeys. I have LOTS of funny stories and every once in a while you friendly folks provide the catalyst for me to remember them. This gets to be more fun all the time. Rudy.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I gotta eat the rest of my pasta pot today. I went to town yesterday to dump trash. I have two friends that have dumpsters (for their businesses) and they let me use them. I also went to the grocery store for some Gatorade. I am on a limited budget, but I wanted to make another batch of Lentil soup. I bought a bag of lentils, some garlic, salt and pepper, a bag of carrots (on sale because it is getting old) and a bag of spinach, on sale for the same reason. I got out cheap. So today, I have to finish the (Dennis pasta dish) and cook the lentil soup. I still have half of an onion. I guarantee you that I will NEVER put 10 cloves of garlic in anything I make in the future. Do you know what it's like to burp garlic for two days? I will make a big batch of lentil soup today. It is my favorite. I don't think I will take a picture of it. I will wait until I make a roast with vegetables. Dennis's ghetto pot roast photo is still the best one on this thread.
GoodClue

Garlic ...

Post by GoodClue »

Rudy ...
One of my favorite "pick-me-ups" is a garlic sandwhich ...
I like rye, sourdough works well too ... spread both halves with real mayonaise and finely dice and spread 4 cloves of fresh garlic, top with cheese, any kind ...
A blood cleanser ... the Romans marched on elephant garlic ... larger but milder.
You get used to garlic, nothing better ... unless you do 10 cloves at once ...

Over The Fence ... love the background rifs, excellent drums, etc ...
Reminds me of Firesign Theatre without a script ...

Maybe this should go into Music Central ... garlic is good for musicians ...

Doug
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Garlic sandwich??? You are as crazy as I am. There was a time when I worked at the bus building place when I was putting two to three garlic cloves in my lentil soup in the mornings. As you may know, when you eat a lot of garlic, the scent seeps out through the pores of your skin. I remember that, one time, after I had entered the bus we were working on to take measurements and then left, some of the other workers had sprayed Febreze in the bus in order to remove the garlic smell that I had left. The next day, the boss man told me I had to curtail my garlic habit because I was working in close quarters with other people. Fortunately, now, I can eat as much garlic as I want to.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Garlic can be a chick repellant too! (Chick: as in- "desirable woman") So one might want to carry some nice minty fresh gum to chew on after eating garlic- and when around "Chicks"!

Heavy garlic eaters are supposed to be less desirable to 'squeeters too! And that is a good thing!

I read your post on the "turkey 'tack" Rudy. Reminds me of a story- one time the wild female turkey my wife had as a pet for several years was standing behind a friend of ours who had stopped by the house to visit. He was wearing shorts, and had a small mole or spot on his lower leg.

I saw the turkey studying that spot when without warning, quicker then can be imagined she pecked hard at the spot, thinking perhaps it was a fly.
You should have seen him jump, it really did hurt and was totally unanticipated. But funny too! Like getting jabbed hard with a pair of sharp scissors.

This Turkery was our guard turkey, she would put up a real fuss when any stranger came up the driveway, she would raise her wings and tail feathers and make what I assumed was a threat posture. But she only threatened, never attacked.
Caravan Monster

Post by Caravan Monster »

Last edited by Caravan Monster on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Monster

Post by Caravan Monster »

Copied and pasted from a British hunting site, a cheap and easy slow cooker recipe:

Ok, peeps, 'By Popular Demand';

I use a Four Litre Slow Cooker. This gives me Two slap up, blow out Chicken Curries .....

Five or six chicken drumbsticks or eight or so wings.

Five medium sized spuds. [potatoes]

Two onions.

Half a medium carrot.

Oxo cube. [stock cube]

Schwartz HOT curry powder.

Colemans English Mustard Powder.

Large kitchen knife.

Chopping board.

1. Slice a spud in half, length ways. Stand a half on its side, inside at a right angle to the board. Slice That lengthways. quarter to half inch slices. Lay the lot face down and chop along it. That gives ye bits of spud 1/4 - 1/2" sized. Do that with all ye spuds and sling them in.

2. Chop the carrot into dust. I do this because I don't like carrots. But they add something so have to be there. In that goes.

3. Skin an onion and slice it fairly chunky. In with that.

4. Pop ye chicken on top.

5. Dissolve ye oxo cube (I use beef, because it's what I have to hand) in 2/3 a mug of boiling water. Pour that over ye chicken. Lid on. Set to LOW. Forget.

That preperation takes me fifteen minutes. I'm just off now to do it again.

Any time around the eight to twelve hours later mark - it really doesn't matter; Skin and slice ye other onion with four or so cuts, top to bottom. Bit like a Terrys Onion, if ye like? Sling that in.

Add SEVEN decent desert spoons of the curry powder and one of mustard powder. Give the lot a damn good stir up and pull out any bones and end cartalidge that ye spoon detects as it falls away.

Lid back on and leave it alone for two hours. Somewhere in that period, get ye rice ready. At the two hour mark; Switch off the Slow Cooker, dig in and Enjoy!

That makes a tasty curry. If ye want that sense of a film of sweat on ye face? Use ten of curry, or according to taste.

Really couldn't be much simpler, could it
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Caravan Monster, I love curry. I recently started actually cooking. For years I would eat at fast food places or microwave stuff. As you may know, from reading this thread, I started crockpot cooking. I have a 70% success rate so far. Thanks for the recipe. It's great that you posted it to the forum. Who would have ever thought that by going to Sharkey's web site, you would be able to find recipes and support for bachelor cooking. Now I have the ghetto pot roast, the turkey chili, and your curry chicken dishes to try. WOW! All I need now is some female company to impress with my newfound cooking skills. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here's an excellent report. This last batch of lentil soup is fantastic. I will tell you why. Not only have you kind folks on the forum helped me and inspired me to cook, I have also been talking to friends about my new adventures and received a lot of help as well. I was given a crockpot, and a new device that you will see a picture of shortly. So, let me tell you about my latest lentil soup. I took the advice of two women who are good cooks and employed them in to my latest batch. First was to use a broth (chicken or beef) instead of just water. I used a 32 ounce box of liquid beef broth and 16 ounces of water. Then, I was told about the importance of using herbs. I know a friend who grows a lot of herbs. She gave me quite a few of them. She suggested that I use Rosemary, Oregano, and Bay leaf in my lentil soup. I got the Rosemary out of her yard but the oregano and Bay Leaf came out of a can. She gave me a bunch of spices. So I poured the beef broth and water into the crockpot. I put in a 10 inch stem of Rosemary, a tablespoon of Oregano, and one Bay Leaf. Then I also put in the bag of lentils, a small bag of shredded carrots, a medium bag of raw spinach, only three cloves of garlic, half of a yellow onion, and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. It took about 7 hours to cook.(three on high, and four on low). It's the best thing I have made yet. I really love lentil soup. Next time I make it, I will give the specifics of my secret recipe. The beef broth and the herbs made all the difference in the world.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now on to the new device. Yesterday I received a gift of a unit which is called a roaster oven. I haven't used it yet. It's like a crockpot and an oven. It has variable temperatures like an oven does. It has a grate upon which to put meats, or to use for steaming vegetables. It has a five quart capacity. It's functions are roast, cook, bake, and steam. There are two dozen recipes in the manual. Not only can you use this thing like a crock pot, you can actually bake stuff in there. Now you can come visit me and I can bake you a cake. That might be the first thing I do with this device. I am also keen on steaming some vegetables in it. Here are two photos of it.

I still have two more servings of lentil soup left in my crockpot. I put the crock in the fridge and scoop out each serving into a bowl and nuke it. I eat it for breakfast every morning, and now that I have the "secret" recipe, I will make it all the time. If you come visit me, I won't insist that you have that for breakfast. If you want, we'll go to Waffle House and eat their greasy stuff. I can handle it.
dburt

Post by dburt »

The makin's of a Cordon Bleu chef! Or maby we should say a Blue Bird chef? Or would that be "Bleu Birdie Chef" in french?
Last edited by dburt on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Rudy man, Your blossoming in to a proper bus dweller. I have a small tear in the corner of my eye :D Give it hell buddy.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Letin my meat loaf?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Ok Rudy

You can do this with half the stuff if you want a smaller or cheaper meat loaf.

3 lb's beef ( ground it myself cuz it was half the price $1.98 a lb ) 1 lb ground veal topped with a lb of bacon, 1 big onion diced mixed in,4 cloves garlic diced mixed in and 1 mid size onion around the out side for getto gravy flavor. Put an inch or 2 of water in the bottom so you can whip yourself up some getto gravy and there you have a sweet smellin bus and about 4 or 5 meals big enough to put yah to sleep :D Throw on some spuds and your good to go 8) I'm crockin this baby for 5 hr. I can walk yah through the getto gravy process if you get that far. It's easy to do.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Your photos look like they belong in a cooking magazine. They are art in and of themselves. This weekend I am going to by some meats. I will look at the recipes that you sent me and make one of them. This one you just sent looks fabulous. I will give you a report. The next time I make my "secret recipe" lentil soup, I will describe the process. I am anxious to use my new cooking device that I posted pictures of. Thanks for your interest. The Music Central thread is getting to be a lot of fun as well. Thanks for your interest in the art of bachelor cooking. I wish I had someone with me to share these meals with. I do bring samples to my friends, and they have enjoyed them (I think). Maybe they are just being kind. I must say that my last lentil soup was awesome. I am looking forward to making the meatloaf. Rudy
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Mm-m-m-m...Bacon... :lol:

You guys are gonna force me to get a crock pot now, aren't you? :twisted: :D
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation