Crockpot Lentil Soup

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Crockpot Lentil Soup

Post by Rudy »

This post originally appeared on the Ghetto Pot Roast thread.

Rudy

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 pm
Well, here are two photos. The lentil soup tastes so good that I took two pictures of it. Yesterday I bought a one pound bag of dry lentils, a yellow onion, a bag of shredded carrots, and a bag of raw spinach. I already had some garlic. I read the bag and it said that you don't have to soak lentils. It said to put 8 cups of water for the bag. I put the lentils in the crock pot, then I added 7cups water, 1 can chicken broth, a bunch of sea salt, a good amount of pepper, 1 tablespoon of a spice called Spike, a small handful of dried celery leaves, the bag of shredded carrots, 10 cloves of garlic, and let the stuff cook on high for three hours. At 10 o'clock, when I went to bed, I added the bag of raw spinach, and put the crock pot on low. It was smelling good at that point. Perhaps I should say that it was smelling strong, due to all the garlic. (Slap yo mammy strong)!. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of sleep to (tinkle). I really never use the word (tinkle). I sound like a three year old now. I guess I am giddy about this new found crockpottery. When I woke up, the whole bus was filled with the aroma of home cooked wonderfulness. I took a spoonful to taste this marvelous treat and it was so hot, I burnt my lips and tongue. That was a lesson learned. I knew I had to get up at six in the morning so I shut the heat off and figured it would be just perfect when I got up. Indeed it was. All together I had a little over $6 invested in the soup. I figure I have the equivalent of ten cans of Progresso Lentil soup in my crockpot. Those cans of soup are $1.65 on sale. Not only do I save a bunch of bucks, but I have the enjoyment of eating something I created. Keep in mind that I did not use a recipe. You guys said just throw the stuff in there and it will cook itself. That's just what happened. My next project will be chili. I have ONE QUESTION. Do I fry the meat first, or will it cook in the crockpot? So, without further ado, here are the pics. Thank you all for the inspiration. Rudy

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Rudy

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:32 pm
Here's an excellent report. This last batch of lentil soup is fantastic. I will tell you why. Not only have you kind folks on the forum helped me and inspired me to cook, I have also been talking to friends about my new adventures and received a lot of help as well. I was given a crockpot, and a new device that you will see a picture of shortly. So, let me tell you about my latest lentil soup. I took the advice of two women who are good cooks and employed them in to my latest batch. First was to use a broth (chicken or beef) instead of just water. I used a 32 ounce box of liquid beef broth and 16 ounces of water. Then, I was told about the importance of using herbs. I know a friend who grows a lot of herbs. She gave me quite a few of them. She suggested that I use Rosemary, Oregano, and Bay leaf in my lentil soup. I got the Rosemary out of her yard but the oregano and Bay Leaf came out of a can. She gave me a bunch of spices. So I poured the beef broth and water into the crockpot. I put in a 10 inch stem of Rosemary, a tablespoon of Oregano, and one Bay Leaf. Then I also put in the bag of lentils, a small bag of shredded carrots, a medium bag of raw spinach, only three cloves of garlic, half of a yellow onion, and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. It took about 7 hours to cook.(three on high, and four on low). It's the best thing I have made yet. I really love lentil soup. Next time I make it, I will give the specifics of my secret recipe. The beef broth and the herbs made all the difference in the world.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now on to the new device. Yesterday I received a gift of a unit which is called a roaster oven. I haven't used it yet. It's like a crockpot and an oven. It has variable temperatures like an oven does. It has a grate upon which to put meats, or to use for steaming vegetables. It has a five quart capacity. It's functions are roast, cook, bake, and steam. There are two dozen recipes in the manual. Not only can you use this thing like a crock pot, you can actually bake stuff in there. Now you can come visit me and I can bake you a cake. That might be the first thing I do with this device. I am also keen on steaming some vegetables in it. Here are two photos of it.

I still have two more servings of lentil soup left in my crockpot. I put the crock in the fridge and scoop out each serving into a bowl and nuke it. I eat it for breakfast every morning, and now that I have the "secret" recipe, I will make it all the time. If you come visit me, I won't insist that you have that for breakfast. If you want, we'll go to Waffle House and eat their greasy stuff. I can handle it.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Rudy

As to the chili meat. You can do it either way. I throw the meat in first and set the "crockpot" on high and turn the meat over a few times for about 20 minutes or so until it's a little browned and then put all my powders and liquids in and then put in diced onions, garlic and peppers and get the lid onit and leter gooooo for about 4 hr or so then sit-on down with a spoon, cornbread and a smile WOOOOWEEEE!
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Thanks, Dennis. I am not quite ready to do the chili or meatloaf dishes yet. I don't even have the courage to use my new roaster machine yet. I will gain confidence quickly though. I just sampled a few items from my Nutty Beef Soup. What do you think of putting the coffee in there? I thought it was a crazy idea. I gotta tell you, though, the whole thing is coming together. COFFEE? Whaddya mean COFFEE??? Pretty crazy, HUH? Rudy.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

You've come a long way "Weedhopper"
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.