Nutty Beef Soup

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Nutty Beef Soup

Post by Rudy »

Right off the bat, I want to tell you that this crockpot cooking is a whole lot of fun. Everything I do is like a science experiment for me. It is very similar to the way I play my musical instruments. That is with total abandon. I would like to report that the Lotsa Kielbasa meal was great. I finished the last bowl this morning. I am getting a late start on my newest creation so I will have to wait until the morning to have a serving of that. I just combined all the ingredients, and already it smells good.
There are two things that I added, which you readers may find very strange. One is the almonds. See if you can pick out the other one. I bet no one has put THAT in their recipes. I will tell you that I do not use recipes. I make them up on the spot. I have a cupboard full of herbs and spices and I just smell them and figure which ones will work. I think this soup will be a winner. Of course, you will receive a report tomorrow. So, here it is:

1lb beef eye round steak (sliced)

1 potato (sliced then quartered)

1 quart beef broth

1 handful of raw almonds (diced)

1 eight oz. can tomato sauce

1/2 onion (diced)

4 cloves garlic (diced)

15 baby carrots (whole)

3 stalks celery (sliced)

1 tsp pepper 1 tbsp salt

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp curry powder

1 tbsp ground coffee

The crockpot is on high and I expect the aroma to be filling the bus in a short while.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Without my reading glasses on, I misread the thread posting as "Nasty Beef Soup" so I thought you had another miscarriage in the crockpot Rudy! I was glad to see it actually said "Nutty" not "Nasty".

You are turning into a regular gore-met. Or is it GorMay?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Well, the word is spelled gourmet, and I may get gored by some wild animal if I keep putting my failed experiments out in the woods. What are you doing trying to read without your glasses? Do you think that you are still a teenager? What a drag it is getting old.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I just had a giant bowl of the Nutty Beef soup for breakfast. I am definitely going to eat all of this concoction. The beef strips were really tender, and all the vegetables were cooked just right. I put the crockpot on high for three hours, then on low for five hours. MMM MMM GOOD. MMM MMM GOOD, That's what Rudy's soups are. MMM MMM Good. I will post two pictures this afternoon that you can see, AND perhaps smell. HA HA. DB, You crack me up!!! Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This Nutty Beef Soup has a two thumbs up review from me. I am anxious to have some more this evening. It is a soup instead of a stew. I think I will only get three bowls out of it. I will save the broth for a future project. The tablespoon of ground coffee really added a nice character. Also, I love the crunch of the almonds. Dennis, my crockpot guru, sent me all the fixin's for making chili. Not only that, he sent me a hand written recipe for it. I don't think he'll mind if I post it. The chili will be my next foray into the wonderful world of cooking for myself. I have some hamburger meat in the freezer.
Here is a photo of the Nutty Beef Soup. Yep! Those are almonds that you see.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I think that you all know what it's like to dig out all the good stuff in a soup and leave the juice. That's exactly what I did tonight. I took all the meat and vegetables out of the crockpot and barely any broth. I am sad to say that I only got two giant bowls of this soup. I enjoyed them tremendously. Tomorrow morning, I am going to make Dennis's chili recipe. That's right, I am actually going to use a tried and true recipe. I trust my crockpot guru. I will defrost the hamburger meat tonight.
I know that Sharkey does not eat meat. I sure wish that he would give us a recipe of some of the stuff he cooks. I bet if he reads this, he will.
Rudy

2nd Time Around

Post by Rudy »

I made my Nutty Beef Soup again. I used the recipe from the first time. It is just as good. I already had two bowls. When I make a crockpot full of food, that's ALL I eat until the next one. I mean, by that, morning, noon, and supper. Most people say they would get bored eating the same thing two or three days in a row. I guess that I am not a big food fan to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. So, soup it will be. Soup is all I eat. I will try Dennis's meat loaf some day, But soup has everything in it. Here are two pictures of the latest batch.

yugogypsy

Nutty Beef Soup

Post by yugogypsy »

Looks good too,

We're going to have to have a soup "cook-off" if any of us get together.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow for sure now.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!