Dennis's Chili

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Dennis's Chili

Post by Rudy »

As I mentioned, Dennis sent me the fixin's for making chili. He sent the spices, beans, and tomato sauces. I added the hamburger meat, onion, and instead of a green pepper, I used carrots. I also put in three cloves of garlic. It is cooking right now in my new roaster device. There is a picture of it on one of the other recipe threads. It is faster than a crockpot. I may end up using this thing all the time. The first thing I did was brown the hamburger meat. It only took 15 minutes. Then I followed Dennis's instructions on his hand written recipe. I did not add any other spices than what he sent me for this recipe. Dennis also sent me some cornbread mix. I do not have the milk or the eggs to make that presently. I believe that making cornbread falls in to the category of baking. I'm not sure if I am ready to advance to that step yet. I am still a little nervous about using the roaster device I just got last week. The chili is already smelling good, and it has only been on for 45 minutes. As always, I will give a review and supply photos that you can see, and maybe even smell! Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Wowwie Zowwie!!! I don't know what you put in those spices you sent me, Dennis, but it not only made the best chili I ever had, it was also the spiciest chili I've ever had. I used both bags. I used 2lbs of hamburger. It will be interesting to have it again for breakfast. I might make some rice to go with it. I always liked chili on top of a plate of rice. Man, this chili is SO TASTY!. As you will see in the photo, I used the new cooking device I have. I may not go back to using the crockpot. This thing I used for the chili works differently. The heat comes from the sides. The pan is thinner than a crockpot crock. This roaster, cooker, baker, steamer device works a lot faster than a crockpot. It holds more than my crockpot. This thing is the small one. It is a five quart capacity. There is a bigger one that they sell. This one was a gift to me. It cost only $20 new. That is cheaper than a new crockpot. I was going to post the recipe, but I don't know what the secret spices that Dennis sent me are. If we are lucky, Dennis will post the recipe for us. Here is a photo.
Tell me if you can smell how wonderful this chili is.

Last edited by Rudy on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I swear I can detect the tomato odor coming thru. If whoever developed this technology can get it down pat, it will be one sweet program for anyone to use. Just think, if you were a sweet young thing in a romantic relationship, you could send a lovely email to your dearly beloved and include a perfume odor, just like in the old days when your girlfriend would put a touch of perfume on the envelope she sent your Valentine Day's card in.

At one time it was considered impossible to transmit color over the airwaves or even sound, so who knows what technology is on the horizon.
Wow!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I smell the garlic coming through loud and clear :shock: OK Rudy, Now it’s been a couple of weeks since my first food post. So do I have you convinced that although a guy probably could live on sardines and green chili peppers if he wanted to but he sure as hell doesn’t have to. Cooking your own food is not only good in an economic standpoint but after yah get the hang of it it’s great to sit down to a plate of your own bus / home cooked food. Am I right there buddy? Next yah gotta step out on the edge a little and bake yah self some cornbread. There’s nothing to it. You can use anything from one of those little throw away tin panes to a small terracotta flower pot, just coat the inside with a really thin coating of Crisco or one of those sprays and follow the directions on the box and your good to go. Although I’ve never baked in anything but a gas oven but I think you could pull it off in your electric thing. Hey and I will post the top secret stuff that was in the bag tomorrow. I only sent it to you like that so you wouldn’t have to deal with measuring it. Stuff like cyanine pepper is some deadly stuff if you get to pitch happy with it. That’s some hot stuff baby. Any way I’m glad it worked out for yah. I can only bet those dogs noses are up in the air lately :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I am having a lot of fun cooking. It is very rewarding. I do have a gas oven. I even have propane to run it. As old as I am, it is strange that I've never used an oven before. I mean that I have never cooked with it. I DO use my oven, though. One of my favorite gags is when people come over, I say I've got food in the oven. I then ask them if they want to see. They always say yes, so I open the door to the oven, and in there is all my canned goods. You see, I use my oven to store canned foods. In my last camper, I used the oven to store CDs. Thanks,Dennis, for getting me started. Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It is 6:30 in the evening here in Tn. I just finished my last bowl of Dennis's chili. I went to the grocery store today and bought my Gatorade and some meats. I got some hamburger, kielbasa, and some beef bones for stewing. Tonight, I am going to use the crockpot to make the Lotsa Kielbasa soup again. It is Monday today, and some good friends are coming to the bus on Thanksgiving day. I was told that there will be much food. I bought some storage containers today so that I can freeze some stuff that they will give me. I think that the Kielbasa soup will last until Thursday. It will be a good day. My visitors will be my friend, his wife, and their two teenage children. On Wednesday, I have to go to my storage trailer and get a folding table. I think it is still in there. Tonight's cooking adventure will NOT be a new experiment. I will use the recipe that I posted for the Lots Kielbasa soup.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Your a changed man Rudy. It's great that your gonna have visiters over for thanksgiving.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
splummer

Post by splummer »

i smelled it all the wat across country, my eyes were burning looks good
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Steve, If you had had one bowl of Dennis's chili, your forehead would be sweating as well. How can something that tastes so good be that potent? I will have to use less spice next time. Thanks for posting, and please start a new topic with something that you like to cook. Rudy
splummer

Post by splummer »

i did, smoked turkey. iam not the best cook . ask my wife
splummer

Post by splummer »

i woke up this morning with a huge craving for chile weather is lousy so i will stay in a make some chile, i hope it comes out as good as yours
splummer

Post by splummer »

that last banch of dennis chile was real good , i feel anther batch will be cooked today. chile is real good to eat after being out side, 24 below this morning, hurry up chile, , steve