smoked turkey

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

splummer

smoked turkey

Post by splummer »

i smoked a turkey using apple wood today , wanted to post pics but was unable to but the turkey was good
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Steve, How did you even cut that apple wood? I once worked in an orchard and that's where I learned how hard that wood is. I sure wouldn't want to split it. Smoked turkey is terrific. Rudy
splummer

Post by splummer »

i cleaned up an orchard this fall, i use the small piecese that splinter of when its split on the log splitter
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here's a picture of splummer's
turkey smoking. I wonder if it got stoned.

Last edited by Rudy on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splummer

Post by splummer »

also do deer meat and beef and some fish, like cooking horn pout, cat fish, with lots of hot sause,just let it cook on the grill ,
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey there Steve

How about the drill on how to smoke stuff. Id really love to learn more about how to do it. Meat, fish, The works.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
splummer

Post by splummer »

hi dennis not sure if its the right way but we like it mostley just did some experimenting on how much and what kinds of wood to use, i mix wood with regular charcole. the turkey we smoked i used apple wood beef i use hickory . i will dig out some resipes for you sun nite when i get home for you to check out, we do alot of grilling and smoking here even thru out the winter
Granny

Post by Granny »

Hey, I smoked my Christmas turkey. I keep an old charcoal bbq around for smoking things on. 24 hrs before you are ready to start smoking something, take your wood chips and soak them in water. When you are ready to start smoking, light up your charcoal briquetts, drain the water (drain it good) out of the wood chips, add to the briquetts. I then wrap what I'm going to smoke in some heavy aluminum foil, put it on the grill and close the lid. I use the meat thermometer to check the internal temp to see when it is done.
splummer

Post by splummer »

i also use the briscitts, it depends on the amont of flaver i want, if i want of apple flavor , i wount use briscitts, i have a few days off, so i think i just might smoke something
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hey Steve, How do you fit a turkey in a ZIG ZAG? :lol:

Chuck
splummer

Post by splummer »

easy, chuck , you use a big zig zag
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I use lump charcoal in my smoker. Briquettes have lots of filler and chemicals for ease of lighting. Even lump charcoal has brands that aren’t as good. I tend to avoid brands that use plywood. It’s better to find the brands that are made of hardwood. If you use lump, you get considerable flavor just from that, without adding smoke wood. I use a MAPP torch to start my charcoal.

I don’t soak my smoke wood unless I’m using chips. I prefer to use fist sized chunks and find that I get better smoke penetration without soaking.

I don’t foil my meat until it hits the internal temp I want. Then I foil, wrap in a towel and put it into an ice chest (without ice) to “restâ€
yugogypsy

Smoked Turkey

Post by yugogypsy »

I haven't smoked a turkey yet, but I plan to use the same brine as I do for duck, brown sugar, coarse salt,water and orange juice. I soak it at least 12 hours and smoke till cooked, usually 3 hours unstuffed.

Have had a BARBECUED turkey that was basted with orange juice and liquid smoke, and that was good.

I think this deep fried turkey stuff is nonsense :roll: and hope it's just a passing food fad.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Im gonna get to smokin me some stuff :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have had deep fried turkey twice now and I must tell you that it was AWESOME! Very tender and moist with the skin browned and tasty...all this food talk is making me hungery..might even inspire me to try one of these recipies on here...mmmm.
Wherever I am...I am home.