Beans

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark B

Beans

Post by Mark B »

I know beans. Beans are one of the best vegetable sources of protein available. Of course, they normally take a long time to cook if you don't soak them overnight. One of the little known secrets is the hot soak method. Here, you clean,sort and rinse the beans. After sorting and rinsing the beans, in a large pot add 10 cups of water for each pound (2 cups) of dry beans. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 or 3 minutes, remove from heat, cover and stand at least 1 hour (quick-soak method), but preferably 4 hours or more; maximum 24 hours. (The longer soaking time is recommended to allow a greater amount of sugar to dissolve, thus helping the beans to be more easily digested.) Whether you soak the beans for one hour or several, discard soak water; rinse beans and pan. Return beans to pan, add fresh cold water to fully cover the beans, 1-2 teaspoons oil or shortening and 2 teaspoons salt, if desired. Simmer the beans gently with the lid tilted until they are tender, to avoid breaking the skins. If you wish to further season your cooked beans, adding vegetables and spices to the cooking water will enhance their flavor.

Mark
splummer

Post by splummer »

yea beans and spam, we cook beans alot in the winter we have a wood cook stove in the kitchen and most of the time its going so we put in a pot of beans and wait
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

splummer wrote:yea beans and spam, we cook beans alot in the winter we have a wood cook stove in the kitchen and most of the time its going so we put in a pot of beans and wait
I like black beans and dark red kidneys. Large Limas (butter beans) are good, too. Mostly, beans are good for the entertainment factor after the grubbing. :lol:

Mark
splummer

Post by splummer »

:oops: please explain mark
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I think that flatulation (the fart factor) may be the entertainment factor. I don't mind spewing the gas if no one is around. If you are clever enough, you can light them on fire and make a ball of flame. Try squeezing an orange peel in front of a lighter. You will see a spark of little flames. Also, if you can find Pep-O-Mint Life Saver candies, take one into a completely dark room and crack it in half. It will emit sparks. Strange but true. I think I might tell you about weird microwave oven experiments soon as well.