Cabbage and Kielbasa

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Cabbage and Kielbasa

Post by Rudy »

I just put together another crockpot invention.

One lb. Kielbasa sliced

One quart beef broth and one quart water

Three celery stalks sliced

One cup broccoli heads sliced

Ten baby carrots halved

1/4 head cabbage chopped

One teaspoon rosemary

Two sage leaves crushed

Three cloves garlic sliced

One tablespoon salt

One teaspoon pepper

A report and photos will be posted later.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

In my opinion, the best part of broccoli to use in slow cooked soups, stews, casseroles, etc.. is the stalk, cut into cubes. To me, it gives a nicer flavour than the head.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I had the pleasure of sharing this latest soup with a friend who used to be a chef. He was VERY impressed, and so was I. This is by far the BEST soup I have made. My friend had two suggestions. 1 cut the kielbasa slices in half. 2 put twice the carrots I put in.

Here is a photo.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Second verse, same as the first. I just finished the Cabbage and Kielbasa soup. It is so good that I am making another batch right now. I did cut the kielbasa slices in half, and I put more carrots in there. I also put in a half of an onion that I sliced.

The beautiful thing is that there was so much broth from that last batch that I only had to add a cup of extra water. The broth is third generation. It started with the nutty beef soup. After the soups are cooked, I keep the crock in the fridge. I just dish out a bowl when I am ready to eat, and I microwave it.

I do, however, always get the first bowl from the crockpot when it has fully cooked.

The last batch of Cabbage Kielbasa soup cooked on high for 6 hours. This batch will be on high for one hour, and then I will put it on low so that it will be ready, and not overcooked, by morning.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Smoked kielbasa is a lot like polish spam with a skin on it. Under cooked, over cooked or not cooked at all, the stuff if great. So Rudy, It feels good to be eating better these days, right?
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Does this thread make make my butt look big???
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I sure like the healthy and tasty food to eat. Crock pot cooking is so easy to do as well. I think I have gained some weight since I started.

Chuck, If all a person wears is one thread, of course their butt will look big!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

nope? :shock:
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It is the morning. I am now enjoying the second version of my Cabbage and Kielbasa soup. I just discovered something. I didn't put the crock pot on high at all. I left it on low for ten hours. Because it was just on low, the vegetables have some crunch to them. That is SO COOL!

I guess that I was overcooking them when I put the crock pot on high. This cooking technique is just getting better and better.

I'll have pictures posted soon.

I have to thank Dennis the bus dweller for inspiring me to actually cook for myself.
splummer

Post by splummer »

we make alot of soups and stews here as well as bake beans, we have a wood cook stove and is always in use , its nice to come in where its warm and have a bowl or three of soup thats always simmering on the stove and speaking of cold has been very cold here
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The cabbage and Kielbasa soup looked very much like the kielbasa soup I made earlier. I don't have any pics, but I want to tell you that it was great.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

You go Rudy, As I said a while back, If you can stay warm dry and fed you can get through almost anything. Oh, and don't forget a little Led Zep :D

splummer, I'd love to make myself some baked beams, What do you folks put in yours and how do you go about makin them?It's getting cold here as well. I got up about 3 am thursday and it was down to 21 outside the rig, Chili baby :shock:
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I have another batch of Cabbage and Kielbasa brewing right now. I did put a lot more carrots in there and I cut the Kielbasa slices in half. As an experiment, I put in 5 slices of Jalapeño peppers as well. A report will be coming soon.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This present batch of Cabbage and Kielbasa soup is outstanding. What I have learned is to put the crock pot on high for just one hour, then leave it on low for 9 hours. The vegetables don't get overcooked. This time I used chicken broth instead of beef broth. I like the beef broth better. I also put 5 slices of Jalapeño pepper. That gave the soup a little zing. Next time, I will only put three slices in. It is somewhat spicy, though not enough to ruin the soup. I will also put some onion in there and put a can of sliced beets instead of the broccoli. Here is a pic.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I just finished my second bowl of the soup. It is spicy. It is good. I find that crock pot cooking costs about the same as eating out of cans or eating frozen dinners, and I DO know that it is a lot better for you. I also love to smell it when it is cooking. Thank you Dennis for inspiring me. Some day I will bake a pie.