Meatball, rice, tomato soup

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Meatball, rice, tomato soup

Post by Rudy »

After 5 batches of cabbage and kielbasa soup, I thought I would invent something new.

This one is REAL easy. Of course it is, as everything I make, a crockpot meal.

1 quart beef broth

1 1/2 lbs hamburger made into 1 inch meatballs by squishing it in your hand.

2 medium cans diced tomatoes

1 medium can tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups white rice

1 tbsp salt 1 tsp pepper.

That's it. I was tempted to put some vegetables in there, as well as some garlic, but did not. I only hope the meatball shaped hamburger doesn't fall apart.

I am going to cook it on high for 5 or 6 hours. The rice will need that.

A report will come tomorrow.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I had to eat some of this stuff tonight. It is very good. The hamburger didn't maintain the meatball shape, but that was OK. They ended up being small chunks. I think it helped them cook faster. Everything in the soup was cooked after 6 hours on high heat. I like this soup a lot. It is actually more of a stew. The next time I make lentil soup, I am going to use the diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce as well. It makes for a good base. Here is the picture.

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

It's lookin good. If it's meat "balls" you want, here's what you do. Mix a finely diced onion 1 egg and about a 1/4 cup of flavered bread crumbs in with a LB or so of ground meat then shape your meat "balls" then cook them in a frying pan turning them so all sides are cooked then you can put them in anything you want and they'll stay meat "balls" til you bit in to them :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

A frying pan? Dennis, that's advanced cooking. I am still getting the hang of the crock pot. I am going to wait before I fry anything. Maybe someday I will use an oven as well.

I will make a pie someday. Let me know when you are coming to visit, and I will make a double layer raspberry pie that my mom used to make. I still remember watching her make it. I could probably pull it off.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy- get away from that frying pan, you know you don't know anything about complicated cooking! :lol: