Smoked Sausage and Veggies

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Smoked Sausage and Veggies

Post by Rudy »

It is 5:30 PM. I just started another crock pot. I am using this meat called smoked sausage. It looks like kielbasa in the package. I opened it up and sliced off a chunk and tried it out. I think I like it better than kielbasa. It's a cross between a hot dog and kielbasa. I had plenty of broth left over from my last beef and vegetable soup. The only other liquid I used was from the meduim sized can of beets. The broth was pretty flavorful, so I did not put any spices in this soup other than a tablespoon of salt. So here is today's recipe.

1 lb smoked sausage cut in to small slices.

2 big stalks celery sliced.

30 baby carrots cut in to thirds.

1/4 onion cut finely.

4 cloves garlic diced.

1/4 head cabbage chopped.

1 medium can of beets and the juice from the can.

That's all. I am going to leave the crock pot on high. If I can stay awake until midnight, I will be able to have a bowl. Here's a picture of when I had all the stuff in the crock pot. Soon I will get the aroma swirling around the bus. Yum Yum.

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Rookin good, It’s hard to believe that a scruffy guy like me can change a guy’s life. Hey, by spring you can open a fat farm called Rudy Craig’s and then down the road somewhere maybe you can merge with Jennie Craig :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Well, I am far from being fat, however, if I don't portion out my servings, I will gain a lot more than the 8 lbs I have gained since I entered the world of home cooked meals.

I had a bowl of this latest soup. It is good. I do think, though, that I am not really keen on the cabbage. I never really liked cooked cabbage. I only put it in my soups because of a friend's suggestion. No more cabbage in my soups. It is such a strong smelling and tasting vegetable. It overtakes all the rest of what's in there. So Bye Bye cabbage.

The cabbage is not awful. It's just overpowering. I still have 4 or 5 servings left, if I eat smaller bowls full.

Perhaps I will make a new experiment after this. Of course, you will get a report.
Last edited by Rudy on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I sure can smell that as I look at the picture! You are skinny enough so that a few extra pounds are not going to hurt you Rudy!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

If you like the cabbage but it's to strong just try putting less of it in.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I realized that I really don't like the cabbage. I am going to try some corn as can be seen in splummer's deer stew.