Smoked Pork Butt

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark B

Smoked Pork Butt

Post by Mark B »

Alrighty, then. Here we go with smoking some dead mammal flesh.

First, I started out with a seven pound pork butt. I bought it at a Mexican market, so I decided it should marinade in what else but a Mexican beer! Actually, it’s a Belgian beer with Mexican additives. I was looking at it and the ingredients sounded like the makings for the perfect marinade, so I went for it. I know it hardly qualifies as food stamp gourmet, as beer cannot be purchased with food stamps. The pork butt, however, was quite cheap, so I think it still counts!

It soaked all day and all night, zipped up tight in a zip-lock bag and refrigerated. I got up at 5:15 this morning and lit my fire. I threw on some John Henry’s apple jerked chicken rub (I know, but I love the stuff) :)

I put a couple nice sized hunks of hickory on there as the coals were still heating up and then put the meat on. I was getting some good smoke, as you can see.

I’m using a Big Green Egg with the plate setter for indirect cooking. This thing is 1.5â€
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Mark, that is a very nice cooking/smoker device you have. I am sure that you will have a tasty treat. Great pictures.
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Mark,

I can smell that over here in the "NoHo art's district." 6:00pm? I'll be there about 6:07pm, just to check progress ya know. :lol:
Nice Egg, I was wondering how well those worked?

Chuck
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Oooooh Booooy, Lookin goooood 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:Mark,

I can smell that over here in the "NoHo art's district." 6:00pm? I'll be there about 6:07pm, just to check progress ya know. :lol:
Nice Egg, I was wondering how well those worked?

Chuck
They work great! Ive had mine for three years now and just love it. It works great for slow cooking and equally great for grilling.

Mark
peter frost

Post by peter frost »

next time we do an emu, (ground oven) with the whole pig I'll take picctures. We do wild boar pretty often. But the main ingredient is selfsus-tainability. As in no cost, so WHEN the shipping stops you don't. The pig is free the pit in the ground free, the wood to cook it, banana leaves and taro/tea leaves to wrap it up. And the meat that falls off the bone we call "broke da mouth" it was so ono'

Can find my atlas suppose I can google earth it.....