Living on food bank food

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Living on food bank food

Post by yugogypsy »

It would seem that most of us are good and inventive cooks. We all know that food banks give out a lot of pasta, so it goes in soups, gets eaten with sauce, or you can beat up a couple of eggs and fry it to make a frittata, ditto for potatoes.

Canned vegetables aren't always lovely, so hide them in soup or stew. Canned lentils and canned tomatoes with some Spike or Veg-All make a nice casserole (drain lentils first, cook with tomatoes 1 hour in loaf pan) Canned meats or fish can extend boxes of Kraft dinner or the cheap substitutes.

One way I manage to keep my favorite supplies on hand is to trade with someone who doesn't use them, for something I have, good old barter system.

Having a big garden helps me, but having a bus garden would be difficult except maybe pots of herbs.

So creative cooks, what have you got in your hamper or allotment that you've made into something interesting?

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

It not easy to grow on the road but out here there are lots of farms so you can either get brused veggies and fruit or you can work a little for some and a parking spot 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
yugogypsy

Living on food bank food

Post by yugogypsy »

I sell veggies, and keep all my damaged and dented ones for my friends and I.

Oh, and do we have any catsup/ketchup fiends here?? If you're here at the end of canning season, expect a gift of this "red sauce" as we ALWAYS grow too many tomatoes!

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
yugogypsy

Living on food bank food

Post by yugogypsy »

I'll put your name on a jar if you think you'll be out this way Dennis, and if you like pickled onions or zucchini relish, I'm sure to be making those, and we have TONS of strawberries in June, anybody up for Strawberry shortcake??

Lois
Bash On Regardless!