Natchitoches Meat Pie?

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Standaddy

Natchitoches Meat Pie?

Post by Standaddy »

Reading about all the good food you guys are talking about got me remembering a fine food I got to enjoy several times during my short trucking career. I reckon it's a regional thing, a meat pie, I suppose named for the Louisiana city of the same name. Maybe Graydawg (James) will chime in here, since that's near his part of the country. I was told that it's a Polish recipe, from the folks that settled that part of the country about 300 or so years ago. I don't even know what kind of meat, but it was ground, seasoned, wrapped in a dough, and deep-fried, similar to fried fruit pies from my neck of the woods. And delicious, hot or cold. By the way, the pronounciation of the name sounds like "Nackadish". At least that's the way my Louisiana trucking buddy says it. He introduced me to the meat-pie when I was visiting him, and then I started looking for them, finding them several places along I-49. Even had a girl at a small truck-stop offer to fry up a few for me if I "had 7 minutes to spare". I took her up on the offer. Eat'um hot, then eat the rest cold a couple hours later.
That's one of the things I miss about trucking, finding good local food that's same ole' shit to the locals, but interesting new stuff to me. I always figured it was best to not ask too many questions beforehand, just try it, and not be bothered by the details.
Man, I get started and don't know when to hush.
Stan
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Standaddy, those sounded familar to me so I talked to my hillbilly family :wink: down south and here's what they sent to me:

http://www.explorenatchitoches.com/even ... -festival/

http://www.natchitochesmeatpies.com/about.htm

And for those of you who wanna give a try at making them:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... index.html
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

All this talk of meat pies sounds rather quaint from this side of the pond.

If you really want to know what a meat pie is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... d_meat_pie
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

WOW...now those are meat pies!!! Makes me want to try making one of those with my best crust in the world recipe 8)
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Stuart I am surprised you don't know of the connection between Louisiana and the Aus and NZ connection and it isn't just meatpies
yugogypsy

Natchitoches Meat Pie

Post by yugogypsy »

Me too, time for my sour cream meat pie pastry. Ezrablu, should we make pot pies or hand pies??

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Lois, funny you should mention pot pies! I was thinking earlier today I'd like to make up some chicken pot pies. I haven't had those in such a long time. Chicken with veggies. Oh heck, why not make pot pies this week and hand pies next week :D
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
yugogypsy

Natchitoches Meat Pie

Post by yugogypsy »

Sounds Good to me, gotta make some banana muffins for my volunteer job on Sunday first, and yes I'll PM you the recipe if they turn out good

:) Lois
Bash On Regardless!
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Standaddy, they have come up with a crawfish pie, as well as a beef and potato pie
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

stuartcnz wrote:All this talk of meat pies sounds rather quaint from this side of the pond.

If you really want to know what a meat pie is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... d_meat_pie
Holly sh*t dems some pies
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Holly sh*t dems some pies[/quote]
Yeah man, I need me 'bout 3 or 2 uv dem tings!
Stan
yugogypsy

Natchitoches Meat Pie

Post by yugogypsy »

I don't think I could eat ALL of ONE! :shock:

Lois
Bash On Regardless!