Any Raw Foodies?

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Any Raw Foodies?

Post by Headache »

I've been dabbling with green smoothies and such and weaning myself off meat these last few weeks. I've got much needed jaw surgery coming up on Tuesday that will cause me to be unable to chew for quite awhile. Rather than shocking myself with a new way of eating after surgery, I've been working my way up to it and now prefer the smoothies over anything else.

That being said, I'm about to burn up another cheap blender. :D

I'm reading the Boutenko books now, and checking out various websites. I've learned quite a bit and so far don't see going back to meat products anytime soon. With spring around the corner the cost in eats will go down too.

So far my favorite smoothie is about a cup of pineapple with a ton of spinach and green tea for the mixer.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Get some wheat grass in dat smoothie 8) I’m a boy that has a deep, passionate love affair going with food for my whole life and veggies and soy protein is big part of that affair but the purpose of veggies and tofu is to add color, nutrition and to keep the slabs of meat from sliding off the plate :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hahaha, Dennis you're awesome!

I haven't tried the wheatgrass as of yet, I'll be able to get a sprouter next month to do up my own.

I no longer use soy products since the vast majority of soy, especially coming from the U.S., has been genetically modified or altered in some way. It's not "original" soy anymore.

My family is shocked at this change. I was the Queen of the grill and there wasn't a slab of meat put in front of me that I couldn't turn into a masterpiece. :shock:
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

:D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Brewer's yeast is another item you may want to consider in you smoothies. Very high protein.
Got love? Give love.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I'm probably about 90% raw food now, Rudy. I don't eat beef anymore and haven't in several years. I haven't eaten pork in probably 15 yrs. I still have chicken, turkey and fish once in a GREAT while...maybe twice a month if that. I buy one package of turkey bacon per month and use in something like when I made that quiche the other day. The main reason I started getting away from meat was because of cost. And I used to be skeptical about this way of eating until I tried it and found out everything people say about a raw diet or vegan diets is true...you won't believe the difference in how you feel.

Here was my breakfast today...cucumber, kale, celerly, lemon juice, lime juice, banana, apple, blueberries, broccoli, ginger root, parsley all tossed into a blender. If it's too thick I just add some water. At first it was hard to drink but now it tasted great and sure gives me a few hours of boosted energy and mental clarity I just can't get from a slab of pizza :D Now days it's easy to not eat junk food because I know the difference of how crappy I feel when I do compared to the smoothie drinks and raw foods.

I bought myself a wheat grass juicer...that stuff will make you feel like superman! It's amazing and nobody believes it until they start drinking it.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Spirulina is the magic green colored wonder food.
Got love? Give love.
yugogypsy

Any raw Foodies

Post by yugogypsy »

I have to change my diet and soon. I have chronic candidiasis and I've got to take a good whack at it because I've lost a third of my body weight :shock: and My STUPID Dr won't put me in the hospital :x

If I had good dentures that would probably help, so I guess I'll be doing my hi protein whey powder stuff for a while.

I still eat almost anything except beans--so if you want to scare me Rudy--send me a picture of any kind of bean, and thanks for the reminder about brewers yeast, I'll get some within a few days (when Rick & I quit having colds.)

LOL Dennis, wish you were here, you're da bomb when it comes to the chef title around here.

Lois (kerchoo)
Bash On Regardless!
Headache

Post by Headache »

Brewers yeast is a cooked byproduct from the fermentation of alcohol beverages. Since I'm eliminating highly processed and cooked foods to become a raw foodie, it's not something I'll be using. Spirulina is a whole food and I will be using it if I can't keep my proteins at an appropriate level. Right now I'm keeping it simple until the blood work tells me I'm doing it wrong.

I used whey protein for a loooong time! I found that my body was more "approving" of plant based raw proteins than the whey protein. It wasn't too hard to eliminate being it's highly processed, cooked and not vegan.

Yugo the deciding factor for me to try going raw and exploring the green smoothie route was because of my jaw surgery which I'm finally going under this Tuesday.

In order for them to straighten out the mess they will be removing all my teeth to file down my jaw bones. I will be unable to chew let alone talk for at least a couple of weeks. Conveniently, I finally got approval for all of this AFTER MassHealth eliminated most of the adult dental program which included dentures, even special ones like mine to assist in realigning my jaw which means I won't have any teeth either.

I'm doing quite well on the green smoothies, better than I thought I would but I've had time to wean myself off processed foods and animal products.

One thing I'm definitely looking forward to is learning to forage for edibles when they start coming out. My grocery bill is going to go down quite a bit then.

Ezra what kind of blender are you using? I'm about to burn out the Cuisanart and one of the things I'm saving for is a Vitamix. I've gone through 3 blenders in 3 years! I'm definitely going for the big dawg now!
yugogypsy

Any raw Foodies

Post by yugogypsy »

Hi Headache,

I have a huge garden, and I'll have access to lots of stuff soon.

I'm not into wild foods myself, but Rick is, and he's taught me some, purslane-succulent type weed, edible, nettles of course, puffballs when young taste better than white mushrooms-dried & powdered they stop bleeding, Oregon Grape roots--inside bark is a natural antibiotic similar to goldenseal, chickweed of course is edible, maple tree flowers, tree sap-balsam -is a type of propolis-great for several things, highly antibiotic, fir-tip tea, boil a pot of water, remove from heat and put in young fir tips for 5 min ONLY-excellent sorce of vitamin C, elderberry leaves draw pain and swelling, when placed on a painful joint and wrapped for 24 hours.

That's the limit of my knowledge, but if you want to know more, check out "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss-may be available used

Good luck with your surgery

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'll be hanging out with my sister this spring, she's been wildcrafting for years and now it's my turn. Were lucky in that we have vast access to ancestral indigenous plant usage.

Forgot to add that I'll also be picking up a food dehydrator.
yugogypsy

Any raw Foodies

Post by yugogypsy »

I have a dehydrator and I love it and plan to use it a lot this year, in case I get a bus that moves-also going to pick up a bunch of dry storage containers, figure that is one way to go for lightweight groceries. :thumbup:

If you're going to get a dehydrator, look at American Harvest, they have fans to circulate the hot air, the ones that work by heat alone are a pain in the butt! :roll:

Lois
PS, American Harvest has a recipe book for their dehydrator too
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Worn out blender - we have two Magic Bullets and they are fantastic. Perfect for one serving type smoothies. Have almost worn out the first one, so will have to replace soon, but it has lasted about 5 years with heavy use.

From my viewpoint and usage patterns, it well exceeds the promise of the TV infomercial. And we got ours at WalMart.

No one here would care, but the Baby Bullet looks like it would be fantastic for someone with a baby.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Headache...I have a VERY old blender that just keeps hanging on. I also have a Magic Bullet and a regular hand crank wheat juicer.

I mostly just toss everything into the blender. It's fastest and easiest. I don't juice anything except for the wheat grass.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This is pretty good. And very good for most people.

http://drbenkim.com/how-make-kim-chi.htm