Anybody Gardening besides us?

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Anybody Gardening besides us?

Post by yugogypsy »

I realize not all of us are mobile yet, so who's growing a garden?

We've got potatoes, tomatoes, beans, squash, corn, chard and spinach planted and intend to plant more stuff.

The chard is the multi-colored stuff and we planted it in a big tote with drainage holes in it--on the front of Pit Stop.

I had decided to put a planter on the remainder of the frame to pretty things up a bit but didn't have any edible flower seeds, so Rick planted the chard.

Anybody who doesn't have a greenhouse--or didn't use it :oops: is very late with garden produce.

We've also been attacked by slugs and Rick has to re-plant some things.

I really need to weed the herb garden but my head is now stuffed up with allergies instead of the cold and the pollen makes my eyes sore.

Sorry to those of you I snapped at lately, but you aren't walking in my moccasins right now, so you don't quite understand

@ Blu--HUGS & please write

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have two tomato plants under the front of the trailer. The 100+ degree heat we have been enjoying this month has pretty well put an end to that idea, though.

Allergy stuff; I found generic Claritin a few years ago, and a spray called NasalCrom. Both have been helping me a lot. Also, there is a generic Mucinex with cough relief that has been good, too. Good luck!
dburt

Post by dburt »

We have a large garden, we have put one in every year for the last 7 years. The one this year was off to a slow start due to the cold and wet spring we had. We have sweet corn, snap peas, beets, 'taters, lots of tomato plants, squash, garlic, onions, carrots and a couple of sunflower plants.

I'm a real tomato fancier, that is my favorite garden plant. We also have thornless blackberries, a Concord grape vine that seems to really slow about producing any edible grapes, and one poor raspberry plant that has failed to produce anything in the 4 years it has been tended and well cared for.

We fight earwigs and other pests in the garden, last year the earwigs killed off my prize peach tree that I planted from a seed about 6 years ago, and had already had good peaches from it.

The bugs and weeds in this part of Idaho are both a real trial for serious gardeners. Some day I swear I am going to plant a weed garden and see if any veggies sudden spring up and try and take over the garden plot. :lol:
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Come on Stealth. 2 toe-mater plants ain't a garden, I realize tomatoes are high, but come on 2 plants, you might as well by a case of canned tomatoes, my Mom has a little of everything planted in several 4 x 24 foot raised planters, made out of landscape timbers on top of the ground, suprisingly she has a bumper crop every year. She said the squash, okra, tomaters, onions, cucumbers and peas are growing like wild flowers again this year. I will get a good homecooked meal tommorrow anyway. She told me to get her a case of wrights bacon today while I was out, she was just about out of seasoning meat, I got her a 20 lb box of Savoes Andoille sausage as well, that is by birthday present to her, just I guess a reverse b'day present, she was the reason for the season, not me, I just happened to be there.
Take care James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Last years garden was 1/2 acre. Way too much for all the stuff going on this year, including being at a distance from the plot of land for so much of the week.

Just set my sights on retirement (LOL - like that will happen....) when I can garden a lot.
splummer

Post by splummer »

we do alot of gardening here. each year the garden gets bigger, whatwe dont eat and can we sell at the farmers market or give away,it always produces more then what we need ,but never a problem of anything going to waste.it took many years of composting for the results that we get now, also my wife has a herb garden. we havea short growing season here sowe start all our seedlings in our green house, also in the late winter we make maple that can get overwelming if you have to many things going on but the end results are well worth it , there is no comperison to what i make to the crap you buy in the stores
as far as being mobil the summers here are much to busy for that but we feel a trip coming on . steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

We try to garden here.

Last year was a total loss--between the elk, deer, and rabbits I didn't get one thing out of the garden.

This year I was determined to beat the critters so I changed the fencing to four strands of barb wire with 24" of chicken wire at the bottom and the top strand 8' above the ground.

So far it has kept the large critters out.

The little ones were able to get under the fence in a few places so I tilled around the garden and used the loose sod and dirt to seal the bottom of the wire fencing. After 36 hours it appears as if I have figured out a way to keep all of the critters out of the garden.

Now if only the weather would warm up and stop raining.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Mark thats the problem, you have to plant for them so they leave your stuff alone. My Mom babysits her great grandchild and he goes to the patio doors in his walker about 6 mths old, and gets excited when he see's the little neighborhood rabbits, Mom planted carrots so he could watch the rabbits outside her patio doors, she also feeds the birds and squirrels daily. Boy does he get carried away, its like they just come up there to entertain him. She loves to have her morning coffee watching them as well.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
yugogypsy

Re: Anybody Gardening besides us?

Post by yugogypsy »

Well we got a few things out of the garden, including a mutant squash I'll be making relish out of.

When the weather got good everyone else around here wanted Rick's help in their gardens so we didn't get everything planted and between the slugs, birds and rabbits, we didn't harvest much-and we do have a fence. But it doesn't keep out small, young rabbits, and yes I need to put up net for the birds.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Update; the tomatoes have barely survived this brutal summer - more on that later.

One plant is still breathing, but barely. Will probably pull it up in next few days. Other plant has one gnarly looking tomato on it that is almost full size, but still green. It is in a race to ripen before a really big freeze gets it. We have had 3 little freezes so far, and an old sheet over the plant has kept it hanging on. Poor little plant....

This year has been unbelievable, even by our normal bizarre standards. - 32 F up to + 114 temperature swing this year. Deadly tornadoes - many more than normal. Dust storms, thunderstorms, floods, and severe drought and now, damaging earthquakes. Tomorrow, the plague of frogs is due in about 3:00 pm. And the plague of locusts is scheduled for all day on Thursday.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Old Jack Frost was our enemy at the beginning and ending of the garden year, too much rain washed out one planting of bean seeds and a healthy hailstorm reduced the amount of plums we got this year. Top producers were the strawberry plants with the rhubarb coming in a close 2nd. Ripening tomatoes in boxes downstairs, didn't get many.

Already planning next years garden and Pit Stop will be growing mixed Oriental Greens and Mercy gets to support the climbing tomatoes with a new trellis we're going to build.

I should be able to get at my biggest gardening pots now that it has frozen several times.

Last try a wasp got Rick on the left leg-TWICE!--underground nest and he stepped on it :shock:

When I move the pots we'll be able to turn the compost when there's a thaw.

Camper is covered now and the next thing that gets wrapped up will be my horse, I have to put his blanket on :D

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Darn horse won't stand still to be wrapped :D and he's wet from the rain, so I'll have to wait for a dry day to get his blanket on!

The garden has become a family affair. One niece and one nephew don't have garden space so Auntie Lois is going to expand and share.

I got some strawbales and I'll use those for tomatoes and peppers, I've got the big planters out now so I can put tomatilloes and greens in them.

We're HOPING to build a bigger greenhouse, just have to find out the cost of the Fibreglas sheets. I found a nifty plan that looks like a little barn and will fit where my old greenhouse is now (bottom sills are rotting out and I'm afraid it'll collapse)

We have to fix the garden fence too, the dear deer have been paying us visits, even though theres not much to eat out there.

Rick drew the garden plan, now we just have to fill it in.

Too many strawberries so we have to transplant some into planters.

So if anyone drops by mid-end of June will be fed strawberries for dessert.

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!