Boat Sitting

Discussions about all things related to boats.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Re: Boat Sitting

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have trouble with that too. Photobucket seems to let me do that once in a while, but not every time....
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

It's been raining a lot recently and when I went to get on the boat today I discovered the back deck had become a 2 inch deep swimming pool, the drain plugged up, I drained it but now have to scrub the back deck because it's all slimy and I had to wipe the galley floor because water leaked under the door. Good thing I didn't have the heater plugged in because it was sitting on the galley floor :shock:

Cheers All
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Yuck, those darn through leaks, I'm going to have to replace the upper bulkhead between the galley and berths, it's only made of a lightweight laminate board and it's peeling :(

Luckily my next door neighbour is a wood-working wizard and can fix it. :)

I've got a sail-fix to do do, the clips for holding the line came off and someone did a temporary fix that won't hold. :roll:

If the weather holds I'm going to leak test the dinghy by going for a row in the lake and I've got to either find the drain valve for the fresh water tank or put in the non-toxic anti-freeze so I don't have water tank issues over winter. (Anyone know where a Riviera Star 24 freshwater drain valve is?)

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> drain

Seems like you could just pump it "dry". The remaining shallow bit should be able to expand _up_ w/out damaging the tank. But think this through as I don't now the configuration of your tanks. The antifreeze s/b simple enough anyway.

> bulkhead...

Consider whether it actually needs replacing. 1) Is it structural in any way to the boat itself? That is besides holding up maybe a bunk and/or a counter? 2) Push, pull, pound on it etc and see if it gives at all and how much and whether it frightens you much. <g> If you can't push it around much or at all and it just holds up the bunk and counter then you could probably just clean it and epoxy, maybe with epoxy mush and/or glass matt filler, a door skin over one or both bad sides to give it a nice looking surface and strengthen it a little. If it flexes alarmingly and/or supports the hull or deck or cabin, then you might be able to laminate a 1/4 piece of ply on each side of the existing bad area (after cleaning it up for good glue adhesion). You might need the new pieces to cover essentially all the bulkhead, maybe but not necessarily on both sides; maybe separate pieces above and below the bunk and/or counter where they meet the bulk head and it would be a pisser to take it apart later. But: If most of the bulkhead is structurally intact it might be an effective and functional repair w/out have to dismantle the "furniture". One caveat: This could a a large glue-up job and glue is famous for getting onto EVERYTHING w/in sight. So cover up and mask that same EVERYTHING before slopping epoxy around. The hardest part would be providing the mild clamping force needed to flatten the new skin and ensure full contact with the glue. Epoxy doesn't mind filling moderate voids (up to 3/16" IIRC so it is one of the better glues for this besides being waterproof. 3/4" ply pieces slightly smaller than the new skin and applied with 2x4 "pushers" wedged against something solid would probably work. Don't wedge it too hard - epoxy likes a "fat" joint w/lots of glue left in it. But watch that glue - you should have a lot of squeeze-out regardless.

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Bulkhead--supports ceiling between galley and berths, made out of stuff not much thicker than door skin, water damaged and peeling top and bottom on both sides except for door frame between galley and berths, no it doesn't move or anything when I push or shove it, it just looks AWFUL and I want to fix it.

Icebox cover made of same material and it has warped.

They were never an expensive boat, Anastar has had a motor upgrade to an Evinrude 9.9 from the original 8.3 ??? motor she came with and she's got a skylight that leaks too.

Leaks are the plague of my life Rufus and I will be glad to fix them and be done with it.

Check into SailingX, find the "Dock Talk" Forum and look at the "What the hell did you do to that boat" thread, somebody with a Cat 20 had the same problem, only on one side. My bulkhead doesn't sit as deep as on a Cat and is much easier to fix.

Probably less that the $220 + tax for the 2 front wheelbearings for my van!

Life is crazy here, I have a University of Victoria student arriving tomorrow to stay a while and check things out before deciding if this is where he'd like to stay while going to school and my friend Sara is SUPPOSED to be moving in with us at the end of the month. Her life in Vancouver B.C. has gotten too stressful and she is having an emotional meltdown, her cat is sick and she has to put it down so that doesn't help.

Me, I may melt from the humid weather we've been having but I'm okay otherwise and am going to siphon and then pump my water tank because I can't think of anything else to do.

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

My student arrived on his "prospecting trip" from Calgary and brought a friend who decided to go to school out here too, so I've got to clean out the big trailer so they each have privacy for studying.

They LOVE Anastar, one has done some lake sailing in Alberta with Sea Cadets.

They'll be back in a month or so with all the belongings necessary for work and school.

They are willing to help with the unending leak problem with Anastar, which is great, and they're willing to help with the garden, so more progress may happen around here.

Then I'll have TIME for sailing, every darn race day so far I've had something going on at home and couldn't go. :(

I have to get my Pleasure Craft Operators license yet and get a few necessary things like flares and a second fire extinguisher and have the other one filled inspected and filled.

I still haven't cleaned out the gear locker yet :oops:

I'll get to that this week, and I'll be getting the boom off the galley floor and tying it to the mast because I keep tripping over it!

Then I can clean the under deck storage, re-fold the mainsail and put it away and clean the galley.

My boat may not move, just like my bus, but she needs a little work now and then :)

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> can't think of anything else to do...

That's how a whole lot of stuff gets done... <g>

> main sail...

Put something on/over it to protect it from the sun. The sail cloth itself is pretty sure Dacron and IIRC sun doesn't matter to it - but the _thread_ stitching the sail together is polyester (most like) and that will disintegrate slowly and steadily under UV.

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

sail---

going to get folded and wrapped up in the sail cover and put in a dry locker

I got the darn boom off the floor and tied to the mast and I'm going to do some more general clean up

I'm just waiting on Mark 2, first he had a family emergency and then the timing belt went on his car, I may see him tomorrow or Friday.

Not much progress on the boat front, more progress on getting ready for our students and Sara. Sara is incommunicado for some reason, so who knows what's going on with her.

One of our students is a mechanic and has taken the time to see if he can find parts for my van that I can't get here. Would be nice to get that fixed too.

I will keep you posted on the boat progress, right now slow would be a good description :)

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

My boat has the measles! :( No, not exactly boat pox, keel pox. Water got right through to the bottom coat of epoxy and caused a bit of electrolysis but I caught it in time.

SO---my dear boat is going to take a bit more to fix than I thought on the keel, but at least Mark 2 showed it to me and will be coming back with a heavier sander and taking EVERYTHING off down to bare metal and doing the job right.

I know who did the last patch job on that keel, her inept idiot former owner. :evil:

Well he certainly didn't do it right and after 5 years of sitting in the salt and growing barnacles, when Mark 2 started sanding he found measles!

Look out Maple Bay Yacht Club, when her keel is fixed right, she's really going to fly.

I know it's about weight and balance, just like horses to a certain degree, and if the keel has been out of balance that would slow her down. (tell me if I'm wrong here please)

It will take a few tries with Mark 1 to help me, to get her rigged for speed, but we'll do it and then I practice like crazy until Lady Skipper race day.

We're going to take her down to Mark 2's for painting the bottom and fixing the underside of the keel. I'll talk to Matt when he gets home.

But damn am I glad I grabbed Anastar when I did or that keel would be a lot worse.

I'll let you know what happens next.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!