Tom MacNaughton's Coin Collection

Discussions about all things related to boats.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Tom MacNaughton's Coin Collection

Post by stuartcnz »

About six years ago I started a Yahoo group for Tom MacNaughton's Coin Collection yacht designs, as there was next to no actual boats showing on the internet. Since then it has probably become the biggest internet resource for them, outside of Tom's own website. In recent years I have become more and more frustrated with the way Yahoo groups works, so I have decided to start shifting the resources from that group into this forum, to try and make them more accessible to the public.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Tom MacNaughton's Coin Collection

Post by stuartcnz »

The following link is to an xls file of design stats of various boats, including Tom MacNaughton's Coin Collection boats.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

A couple of links, the first is to a heavily modified version of Tom MacNaughton's Penny. So far modified in fact, that Tom no longer considers it to be of his design. Never the less the builder has done some cool things with it, not withstanding the designers concerns about other changes, such as the centerline prop shaft, which has a detrimental structural and steering impact over the original offset shaft. http://albatrossadventure.net/index.htm

The other link is for LED's designed for marine use. http://bebi-electronics.com/index.html
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Hydrostats for Penny.

Draft Disp(lb) WetSA(ft^2) SA/WetSA SA/Disp D/L
(SA=469ft^2)
4' 7735 145 3.24 19.2 503
4'4" 9658 163 2.89 16.6 628
4'8" 11824 181 2.60 14.5 770

Some RhinoMarine 3.1.1 Hydrostats on my faired Penny 26 hull
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

A re-design of the accommodations that I did for Crown Jewel, with the response from Tom, in response to my changes, and in comparison with another of his designs. You may need your glasses to read his writing on this version of the image, but worth reading if you have an interest in design.

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Interesting comments. It sounds like Tom is from the "just fits" school of design. <g> It's been 12 years or so since I've seen anything from/about Tom. Glad to see he's still out there doing boats. He used to post regularly on some of the boating forums and (I think) on rec.boats - I don't have any personal connection with his boats and I stopped following the general forums about 2000.

Good luck with the Yahoo exit. Their "forum" design is pretty horrid but I think they're big and easy to start with for people that know nothing about PC's and don't think they want to.

But Yahoo may be getting really close to the edge which is a shame - they have been a pretty good email service. I've had an account for something like 15 years and found it entirely competent with good spam elimination. But last week my email got hacked and from what I read from the hacker-auditor that initially contacted Yahoo and several other big names about weaknesses in their databases and servers (last June!) Yahoo blew him off while Google, AOL and others patched their systems immediately. From what I can understand the weakness was in their server protocols and had nothing to with user passwords or viruses. I haven't heard word one from Yahoo about the problem but have found numerous reports of hacked accounts in the last month. They did freeze sending on my account for a couple days and then required a graphical confirmation to start sending again. But no user warnings, reports or any other info about their problems and possible personal data loss. All information in the contact lists was stolen and so this seems badly irresponsible. I'd guess that they don't have the resources to keep up with their software problems.

Rufus