Back in Spam

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Back in Spam

Post by stuartcnz »

We appear to be having a lot of spam at the moment. Particularly membership sign ups from China and Ukraine, as well as the odd bit of guest spam posting.

I think it could be a newly discovered vulnerability in the forum software, which will hopefully be addressed when the next update comes out.

In the meantime I will try to keep on top of it as best as I can. If it stays this persistent for to long, I may have to take more draconian steps, but hopefully not.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Back in Spam

Post by stuartcnz »

Things are not getting any brighter yet, so I have taken a couple of more draconian steps. Firstly all new memberships now have to be approved by admin. Secondly I have put one of the forums on guest posted moderation, which doesn't affect any logged on members, but should make a difference to guest posted spam.

I'll review these changes over the next few days.

Hopefully, when the next software upgrade becomes available, it will address whatever it is that has suddenly let all of this spam through, and we can revert back to the free and easy access that this forum prides itself on.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Back in Spam

Post by stuartcnz »

I've taken drastic action and banned all entry from China, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, and Latvia, which are the countries that the recent barrage of spam has come from. I'll give it a couple of days, and if it does appear to be the end of this wave of spam, I'll reset membership and guest posting to how it was.