New commuting vehicle

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Re: New commuting vehicle

Post by Lostranger »

Stuart, I appreciate your response. I'm convinced that a hub motor is best for what we need. I've been discussing on another forum the fact that we do not tow a car when we travel. An electric assist bike will make a great resupply vehicle. In spite of the price, I think Bionx is a good way to go. It's hard to argue against extreme quality and proven reliability. My research indicates that the 350 watt motor rating is an understatement.

If that works well, we may convert our Cannondale tandem. That could make an interesting mid drive candidate, but I don't know enough about that technology to comment. A tandem can make a fine cargo bike for one, and I think Sweetie would take up riding with me again if we have some POWER.

I doubt that I'll begin any electric bike conversion before spring, but I like to do my homework slowly on big (or big dollar) projects.

Jim
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Unless you are looking at a different model than the one in that article, I would say that 350w is all you will get. Given that it is a proprietary system you will not be able to hack it and the built in controller will limit the power.

But I agree that hub motors are good, based on my own experience with one. Don't be to quick to discount the cheaper hub motors either. Provided you don't over power them, they are very reliable, and some of them will accept plenty of power, safely.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Rode my bike to work yesterday, first time in about seven months.

In the nice sunny, but slightly crisp weather, it was awesome. :D