LPG boosting of marine trubo diesel engines

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

turbo Tony

LPG boosting of marine trubo diesel engines

Post by turbo Tony »

hi Sharkey and thanks for the forum,
I have been following your LPG boost conversion on the EV and other diesel.

I am a gas engineer by trade ( as well as a Process Chem Eng), but have worked for BOC & APCI before. I am now about to embark on a project to boost my marine volvo penta turbo diesel engine.

Has anyone done a marine engine so far and have they been able to find a valve with a needle valve on one side and a pressure bellows on the other side to act as a control valve on boost pressure????

I know some of the commercial systems like "Power-Shot" use this type of valve. If i can't come right, I'll be a few mods to a turbo waster gate type valve.

kind regards

Turbo Tony
"It is always in season for old men to learn." Aeschylus (525-456 BC) Greek poet.
Ratau

Post by Ratau »

I think manual switching like some guys do could be dangerous. One could put a normally open pressure switch (± 3 psi) connected to the inlet manifold in series with the solenoid valve. At idling or low RPM the LPG will be off and will switch on as soon as pressure increase above the preset pressure. I use an adjustable pressure switch.

marine diesel propane

Post by farmport1 »

It is really important to have proper control of the propane. It should not be allowed to switch on until the engine is close to operating temp and MUST have proper mixture control at cruise. Remember, grossly excessive injection of propane WILL destroy the engine. In a marine engine room it is also vital that there is no possibility of gas venting so an automatic boost switch must be present as well as some form of RPM switch so if the engine stops, so does the gas, no matter what. For safety it is also advisable to use a venturi style system rather than positive pressure so, no airflow, no gas.
TrailerTrash

Post by TrailerTrash »

Hi , new to the forum as well , have been reading and enjoying for a week or so , I like it.

I used to be a heavy duty mechanic in the trucking industry.

I was just wondering what you hope to gain form propane in a marine application we used to use it on some heavy trucks here in BC , but mostly for a boost of power for pulling big hills and such.

Short term power boost , kind of like we use nitrous on our hot rods.

Diesel has much more energy than propane , so why would one want it on a boat.

Again , I am not familiar with boats , so just wondering what the advantages are considering the cost of installation , as well as the danger of propane storage on boats , is it worthwhile , and under what circumstances it would be used.

Can it be used for prolonged periods like heading into a strong wind or what?

JIM.