laws pertaining to LPG conversions

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

foxygoliath

laws pertaining to LPG conversions

Post by foxygoliath »

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I have a v8 gasoline powered 1994 chevy silverado. I have been doing some research much like many of you on this forum and found some companies offering LPG conversion kits. My question is what are the laws pertaining to these conversions?Are there any rules particular to new york state? Are there any special licenses needed? I would like to do this conversion kit, but I must make sure I don't have any dmv problems. Any help will go a long way. Thanks for your help.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

In many places, having a LPG tank of more than just a few gallons is very restricted.

I know you may not travel through the Holland Tunnel, even if the LPG is shut off if you have a tank larger than ten gallons.

The question is why would you want to spend the $$$ on a LPG conversion?

Not only do you lose a lot of performance due to the lower BTU's available in LPG but you also increase fuel use because of the the lower BTU's available.

Unless you can purchase LPG for less than half of what gasoline costs you will find it hard to ever pay for your conversion.
captainkf

Propane

Post by captainkf »

My bus runs off propane. It is an 85 gmc with a new 366 v8 long block that is carburated. We have been across the canada and through many of the northern states with it. Across ferries (gorgia straight was the longest crossing at 4 plus hours) and through many tunnels. Never had a problem. The tank is over 400 litres (huge). I get aprox 6.5 mpg (us gallons) which is pretty good for a gasser in the mountains, as comparable buses get between 2.5 and 7 mpg. It has a 5 spd standard tranny and has a top speed of 68 mph. IIf you have EFI you can expect better milage.

There are many misconceptions about propane powered vehicles. There are a number of informative websites (just search for them) that give actual facts and numers on performance versus cost. My bus came from the factory on propane so I can't give much help there. However I was looking at running a dual fuel system for when I can't find reasonably priced propane. It was going to run around $1000. I have never had problems registering or insuring the bus here in Canada.

If propane is 3/4 the price of regular fuel than I am saving money (as per my calculations). For most of Canada that is a fair expecation. In albert propane was about half the price. The majority of working vehicles (cube trucks, work trucks and taxi's) run on propane. The octane rating is 108, and burns much cleaner in the enigine, and puts out less harmful byproducts.

It is a pain when traveling somtimes to find propane in isolated area's or when it is expensive. However it can be done. I would recomend using a dual fuel system with an remote switch activated system, as this gives alot of flexibility.

I am happy with propane and I feel less guilty using it. Many years ago it was burned off as an unusable byproduct in the refining process. So hey, I am at least puting it to good use. :)

-Richard