fresh lead

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

anekut

fresh lead

Post by anekut »

Well, finally broke down today and plunked down $2300 for 18 new US145 6v/260Ah batteries. That's $500 more than 3 yrs ago but down $1300 from a few months ago. I tried to get the dealer to cut me a bigger break by offering to paint his logo on the car but he didn't wnat to go there. Sharkey, does your SCT have heating mats under the batteries? I found them when I removed old batteries. They were not hooked up though. Each one is 10 x 12 inches and measures 45 ohms I was thinking about trying them out this winter.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Wow, I'm envious. Hot Fresh Lead.

Last time I bought a full set of batteries (T-105's), the bill came to $900. Almost three times that today. At least you got the larger capacity cells.

Not sure if my SCT ever had heater mats. It does have a rubberized floor under the batts, but the heat mats might have been reserved for cars shipped to very cold climates. It would be a big help, even here, I always noticed that the car had less pep in winter.

Just be careful to not overdo it on the heat. Batteries like 78 degree heat. For evey degree you go over that, cell life takes a significant hit, especially during heavy discharge. Is there some sort of thermostat?

I'd be interested to know what your range is with the biger cells.
anekut

Post by anekut »

I'm planning to thermostat them. New US145's were in the car when I bought it and I got 50 miles of 30 mph level driving (not how I use it daily on my work commute).