Neil Youngs Lincvolt project

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

Forgottenhighway

Neil Youngs Lincvolt project

Post by Forgottenhighway »

Has anyone been following Neil Youngs Lincvolt project ? Lincvolt is a 1959 Lincoln Continental convertable that has been coverted to CNG/electric power.You can do all sorts of interesting things with an unlimited budget!
At any rate ,fun to watch how this project turns out.

http://lincvolt.force.com/lincvolt_media

Cheers,Pat
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hmmm, well maybe my browser is retarded, but there wasn't very much to see on any of the pages of that site. I've been hearing about Young's car on some of the EV lists, but don't know a lot about it. I do have doubts about the HHO "majik" that is supposed to be supporting the high fuel mileage.

The cynic in me can't help but wonder that for the price of this outlandish land-yacht, five or ten conventional compact cars could be converted to electric and put into the hands of consumers who could use them to really offset some consumption and perhaps change some attitudes about EV's At the end of the day, media flash, alt-fuel hype and rock star glamor will be less convincing than several homeowners or short-distance commuters who realize as I did that after using an EV for three weeks, they can get around without using liquid motor fuels.

We ran into this a lot in the early days of biodiesel. Any media attention we got was aimed at making us look like odd-balls or grease-dumpster-diving-freaks. Good for TV ratings, but in the end, a turn-off for the very people who have to embrace a new technology to make it mainstream, the consumers.

Good luck with it, Neil. Better to consume rock-star bucks dabbling with experimental fuels (albeit in a massively oversized platform) than any of a hundred other ways of spending the cash. Just don't forget that when it's over, it'll be VW's Subarus and Yugos that change the face of motor transportation, not Lincolns.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Looks like Neil should have included a fire supression system in the car:

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-co ... ck_check=1

As one comment in the Electric Vehicle Discussion List said:
I do find it amusing that the EV is being hauled around the country for display and only has 2,000 miles on it. "All hat and no cattle".
[edit] Neil Young issued a statement on the fire: http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 354860.htm [/edit]
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sharkey,

That link is quite weird and doesn't work for me; it jives me about a secure site and redirects to a totally different site. I did find the Mercury/News article, but you might want to look into the makup of that link.

Cheers, Rufus
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Both links worked for me.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Same here
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.